Sunshine Numbers on Southern Allocated WD's

Jack P

Hi again, 

I came across this interesting image of 77296 at Ashford shed. It's undated, but I wonder if anyone can help me narrow down the timeframe that 77296 was allocated to the southern and when it was most recently shopped. 

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96956&search=Southern+railway+breakdown+crane&page=2

I'm trying to figure out when the sunshine numerals (which is what they look like to me) were applied to the cab, and if there is any record of this being done to other SR allocated WD's. 

Specifically interested in 1947 info

Thanks in advance!

John Harvey's 'After Nationalisation' volume of 'Southern Style' states "Three War Department locomotives ( No.79203, 79262 and 79281 ) were erroneously lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS and numbered with the "s" prefix at Brighton, but since BR did not own these locomotives these were errors. s79203 and s79262 were quickly corrected but s79281 lasted until June 1949." ........ there's no clue how many other WDs - including 77296 - were numbered in Sunshine style but "By December 1947 the SR had 50 at work ..." ( Rowledge Vol.3 ) so there could have been quite a few.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bécasse said:

There is more information on this thread.

I suppose the irony there is that I started that thread too! It clearly pays to always check, and then check again!

Thank you both for your input!

Edited by Jack P
  • Funny 1

47 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

John Harvey's 'After Nationalisation' volume of 'Southern Style' states "Three War Department locomotives ( No.79203, 79262 and 79281 ) were erroneously lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS and numbered with the "s" prefix at Brighton, but since BR did not own these locomotives these were errors. s79203 and s79262 were quickly corrected but s79281 lasted until June 1949." ........ there's no clue how many other WDs - including 77296 - were numbered in Sunshine style but "By December 1947 the SR had 50 at work ..." ( Rowledge Vol.3 ) so there could have been quite a few.

Most, if not all, the locos that passed through Brighton works seem to have been done so that was probably quite a hefty proportion of the 50. Photographs reveal that at least some of the 50 retained WD-style numbers, although that might just have been while they were awaiting their turn for a works visit.