THE 'SEE IT/MAKE IT' CHALLENGE: ROUND FOUR

• RMweb Gold

A good days modelling today!   :)

Thanks to Stubby47's link, to further info, I just had to have another stone wall.

(No problem - apart from lightening strikes knocking out the E.Stop circuit on my Router!)

So, another stone wall CNC'd, a stack of coping bricks done, and the first stone wall received the full Dremel Dentist treatment! I finished off the top surface with the back of a spoon (handle) to round things off.

image.png.b5dfc6b87b2c74bd4e4492cea1e07dbf.png

Kev.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Howard,

I'm not exactly sure what scale it is, as I don't have any dimensions other than what could be gleaned from the photograph.

(It now turns out to look as if the perspective, in that photo, is a little forced somehow.)

I just started with what I thought looked like a brick - 19 x 9 x 6mm. With a 1mm mortar course gap, (the size of a reliable milling cutter), and just built on that!

I guess that the scale could be somewhere around 1:12 or 5inch gauge.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Window sill, Lintel and Door frame.

(Anyone know which way the door opens?)

20200617_145812.jpg.da5b660e2a0793953d7e952c89c33e2f.jpg

Next the base.

Kev.

From a quick Google it’s a shot from the entrance to Trelissick Gardens in Cornwall.  I found it on Streetview but there’s an overgrown bush in front of the door now so I couldn’t tell.  

Logic tells me I’d want the door to open inwards with the hinges on the left as I reach the top of the stairs, but I saw a photo of another door at the same place, also at the top of some stairs, opened outwards as if to knock someone back down the stairs.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Inwards, hinged on the right as viewed.

trelissick_door.PNG.c8e87b215a5cc7d48e968b52545e5abb.PNG

Aha!  Our posts have crossed - suggests my guess at location may be right if you’ve got it first: could you get past the bush I got stuck at (sounds like a video game, sorry).

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Aha!  Our posts have crossed - suggests my guess at location may be right if you’ve got it first: could you get past the bush I got stuck at (sounds like a video game, sorry).

I can visit there next Sunday - the roof plates are much more overgrown now, both on the gable end and the shorter wall to the left.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is following my layout thread you will note that yesterday I drafted a mock up with stairs added. However, after cogitating on it for a while, the original design with a sliding door for access to the loading platform is preferable. Today, therefore, after some work in Photoshop I have a basic design for the other end of the layout.

It is a design using the steps from Trellissick, the Red Tower from York, and a boarded-up window from the Admiralty Engine House here on Portland knocked up this afternoon in Photoshop. The image is not a printie kit as some of the copied/cloned elements are a bit rough, more a design guide, for making the actual model. It needs work as despite straightening out the image, and adding in the missing upper gable, and infilling the stairs, the angle of the original photograph creates anomalies, like the cloning, preventing a straight kit approach. The ex-Trellissick element was also heightened by cloning in extra depth. The anomaly is that the Red Tower image is actually rotated North to South but it does look better this way round. The steps will lead from a raised roadway into a small walled garden rather like the one at the Merchant Adventurers Hall as accessed from Piccadilly in York. 

Image of it is below; now to see if I can manage to make it (but probably not by Sunday evening).

2B20BCF0-F791-42A5-9E8E-2F19ACF24ED6_1_105_c.jpeg.370bbddb799947f58d355511b36f674e.jpeg

Edit 18 Nov 2022 - I think this reloaded image is the one used originally in 2020, my apologies if the wrong one has been reinstated.

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, john new said:

If anyone is following my layout thread you will note that yesterday I drafted a mock up with stairs added. However, after cogitating on it for a while, the original design with a sliding door for access to the loading platform is preferable. Today, therefore, after some work in Photoshop I have a basic design for the other end of the layout.

It is a design using the steps from Trellissick, the Red Tower from York, and a boarded-up window from the Admiralty Engine House here on Portland knocked up this afternoon in Photoshop. The image is not a printie kit as some of the copied/cloned elements are a bit rough, more a design guide, for making the actual model. It needs work as despite straightening out the image, and adding in the missing upper gable, and infilling the stairs, the angle of the original photograph creates anomalies, like the cloning, preventing a straight kit approach. The ex-Trellissick element was also heightened by cloning in extra depth. The anomaly is that the Red Tower image is actually rotated North to South but it does look better this way round. The steps will lead from a raised roadway into a small walled garden rather like the one at the Merchant Adventurers Hall as accessed from Piccadilly in York. 

Image of it is below; now to see if I can manage to make it (but probably not by Sunday evening).

Stairs draft.jpg

By Sunday, now that would be a challenge! Although it is Sunday at midnight, giving three and a half days. Whether complete or not in time for this round of the challenge, we'd love to see photographs of it on the layout at a later stage.

H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, 29 bits of wood have been butchered machined so far and I still need to do the base!

( I also note that the window frame still needs making! (Plus the window!!) )

(( Oh, and the large slab at the top landing!!! ))

((( Doh! The barn door step too!!!! )))

20200618_190952.jpg.8fbd067243312296f31e5494347e5446.jpg

In other news - paint has now been applied to some of the panels.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still haven't made the baseboard yet!

Todays progress.

20200619_184248.jpg.27f1feb380badb736b5131bae4d9c2b9.jpg

The materials for the banister rail arrived today.

20200619_184319.jpg.3ac261c9ae25a98378fa259989fc2138.jpg

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

My attempt not going too well, but it did mean I have done one key task required before I could start; namely, actually making the removable piece to go over the surface mounted solenoids.R

Edit 18 Nov 2022 - image deleted post crash as it is repeated a couple of posts further on in the thread.

Edited by john new
Photo not reinstated post crash - duplicated below

If Kev has the largest entry, mine is surely going to be one of the smallest.

My entry is the stairs portion of the latest Scalescenes boxfile layout, but shrunk down to N-Scale.

Rather than repeating myself, I've put a build summary over in the Card Modelling Section.

Best of luck to everyone that enters, the deadline is fast approaching!

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On 21/06/2020 at 15:56, john new said:

My attempt not going too well, but it did mean I have done one key task required before I could start; namely, actually making the removable piece to go over the surface mounted solenoids.

664C8B00-FEDB-4154-907E-7A6AE2178DCF_1_105_c.jpeg.9b78342c8bd7c3f48e32366c66033b73.jpeg

Entry submitted, I put too much effort in not to, but although I enjoyed taking part I am not satisfied with the result. Skills I used to have have gone very, very, ring-rusty!

That said moving the location of this challenge to the fiddle yard end of the layout did mean I have now successfully built the removable plate section where the surface mounted point motors are located. That alone was a sufficient progress point to make this "see it build it challenge" a personal success even if the end product is c**p. (More in my layout thread).

E4C39483-958B-4336-8D00-5E2C20D1EB88_1_105_c.jpeg.0d312f4142a3d5604fa697bf618b4c6d.jpeg

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit - I've run out of time...

(..and guess who forgot to order some scatter/foliage..)

20200621_230252.jpg.bb43826c20350bb70b020d32ff84f304.jpg

I'll see if daylight is any kinder tomorrow. I'm off to bed as I'm exhausted!

Kev.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2