Budget model railways industrial shunter 1 [Yorkshire/class 02]

Hi all this is my first post , so I hope it,s in the right place, here is my review of the OO gauge industrial diesel shunter body kit .

Just a few points , I sadly struggle a lot with my hands , so for a more nimble modeller the results would be better than I can achieve, but I am more than happy with my loco.

BMR have designed these loco's to fit onto the Hornby 040 chassis , which is reletevly cheap , but is a bit too long and wide , which translates to having to make the model a bit larger than scale , but remember that the model is sold as a freelance shunter and not a scale model , although without a doubt it is a great model of a Yorkshire 040.

What I have chosen to do/ use , is my view , the choice is yours if you want to change , add parts etc .

On opening the kit , I was well impressed by the main castings and with a bit [very little ] of cleaning up did a dry run and all looked well . After making sure the footplate fit the chassis easily , I filed the detail off the side lockers and slightly drilled the one nearest the cab for the fuel gauge.The body was then built apart from the buffers , rear handrail , cab roof & radiator , with the added step for the cab door and four sandboxes made from about 20p worth of microstrip and then after priming the body , everything was painted.

I could not get on with the buffers , which with the steps [ easily cleaned up ] were the only parts with a lot of flash. Also I find them a bit small for a shunter , so I ordered a few sets of buffers from RT models [ 4slpo41 Sentinel 24" head £2.60 ] and fitted those and then used Fox/Railtec chevron and number transfers , which were then varnished . The cab was then glazed , rear handrail fitted and finaly the roof , which I used thin plasticard to make, prefering it to the kit roof supplied .

And there you have it , my own built model of a class 02 shunter , which to me looks the part and looks better in real life normal viewing distance than in the photo's . The added parts and £1 shop 10 for a £1 superglue[ not including paint and transfers] cost me less than £3 , the kit itself was a pleasure to build and I would not hesitate to recommend this and other BMR kits to anyone ,

Many thanks BMR ,

Roger

IMG_20200603_173029685.jpg

IMG_20200603_173053272.jpg

IMG_20200603_173113017.jpg

IMG_20200603_173136934.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

First, welcome to the craziness that is RMWeb.

I saw this on the website, but it looks so much better in your built example.  Nice job on the chevrons, too.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roger the bodger said:

Hi all this is my first post , so I hope it,s in the right place, here is my review of the OO gauge industrial diesel shunter body kit .

Just a few points , I sadly struggle a lot with my hands , so for a more nimble modeller the results would be better than I can achieve, but I am more than happy with my loco.

BMR have designed these loco's to fit onto the Hornby 040 chassis , which is reletevly cheap , but is a bit too long and wide , which translates to having to make the model a bit larger than scale , but remember that the model is sold as a freelance shunter and not a scale model , although without a doubt it is a great model of a Yorkshire 040.

What I have chosen to do/ use , is my view , the choice is yours if you want to change , add parts etc .

On opening the kit , I was well impressed by the main castings and with a bit [very little ] of cleaning up did a dry run and all looked well . After making sure the footplate fit the chassis easily , I filed the detail off the side lockers and slightly drilled the one nearest the cab for the fuel gauge.The body was then built apart from the buffers , rear handrail , cab roof & radiator , with the added step for the cab door and four sandboxes made from about 20p worth of microstrip and then after priming the body , everything was painted.

I could not get on with the buffers , which with the steps [ easily cleaned up ] were the only parts with a lot of flash. Also I find them a bit small for a shunter , so I ordered a few sets of buffers from RT models [ 4slpo41 Sentinel 24" head £2.60 ] and fitted those and then used Fox/Railtec chevron and number transfers , which were then varnished . The cab was then glazed , rear handrail fitted and finaly the roof , which I used thin plasticard to make, prefering it to the kit roof supplied .

And there you have it , my own built model of a class 02 shunter , which to me looks the part and looks better in real life normal viewing distance than in the photo's . The added parts and £1 shop 10 for a £1 superglue[ not including paint and transfers] cost me less than £3 , the kit itself was a pleasure to build and I would not hesitate to recommend this and other BMR kits to anyone ,

Many thanks BMR ,

Roger

IMG_20200603_173029685.jpg

IMG_20200603_173053272.jpg

IMG_20200603_173113017.jpg

IMG_20200603_173136934.jpg

Not bad. Looks rather nice. Me, I am taking one of their kits and making it a freelance toy-like mainline diesel locomotive.