Budget model railways BMR industrial shunter 2 [Fowler]

A lot of things apply again from my first review which I am sure I don't need to repeat again .

This is my review of the OO gauge BMR diesel shunter body kit and the castings are again just as good with just major flash on th buffers and steps ..

Again remember that the model is sold as a freelance shunter and not a scale model , although it is a good model of a 040 Fowler which is great for a industrial , or possibly a model of the British Railways departmental loco's ..

Again I have chosen to do/ use , is my view , the choice is yours if you want to change , add parts etc .

For this build , I wanted to modify the original kit and BMR kindly supplied a extra set of steps. Before assembly I removed the cab door handles and extended the four front windows downwards .The cab sides then had the door aperture cut out and new extended cab doors made .

The body was then built , but with the new doors added and the cab steps mounted to the footplate and extended cab doors and finally another set of RT models [ 4slpo41 Sentinel 24" head £2.60 ] buffers and four cabside handrails made from staples and a vacuum cylinder placed at the front of the cab made from a cut up oral syringe and microstrip straps .

The body was then primed , painted, glazed and lettered as a "extra " departmental loco number ED8.

I had to do a bit of modifying during the build , as the cab was a bit larger and did not meet up with the holes in the footplate , but it was dead easy to do .

I did think about squaring off the cab windows and filling the footplate and leaving off the front and rear steps , but decieded not to.

I am sure that those who wanted to could do all this and knock up the correct Fowler radiator .

Again the kit itself was a pleasure to build and I would not hesitate to recommend this and other BMR kits to anyone ,

Many thanks BMR for these fun and budget kits , in time I hope to add another of these , for a NCB loco , another Yorkshire and a tram loco .

IMG_20200603_172252748.jpg

IMG_20200603_172508642.jpg

IMG_20200603_172545354.jpg

IMG_20200603_172852244.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

That looks great and nice bodging for the side door and steps. They are great little kits for the money!

Here's my attempt. No effort to be prototypical as its intended for a "Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory" layout I'm doing for my son.

I also had a little trouble with the cab. The buffers are indeed a bit "flashy" and end up a bit small may invest in some bigger ones like you have there. 

What thickness plasticard did you use for the roof? I'd like to replace that.

IMG_20200605_195530917.jpg

Edited by taine
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 9 months later...

Lovey stuff, it does have a Fowler look from the side!

I agree that the kits are good bashing fodder and with some creativity they certainly scrub up well. Mine is currently being rebuilt to be a little more unique as well as adding some separately fitted handrails too. 

What did you do to the newer diesel they released?

Thanks 

Olly

• Like 1