Hornby Early Motor Bogie

adanapress

Regarding the EMB under the old R157 and the early Pullman and the Dock shunter.   I run a fleet of these, and have a number 'gorn dead' on me.   Can anyone say what the details of the electronic components  within the wiring ,   on the live side wire coming up from the insulated pick up, in my case thats the plus side. The old Triang/Hornby service sheet reference  reference for this part is  X217.  It was I thinkoriginally  for suppression of TV interference.  I'm hoping

that todays equivalent bits are a deal smaller.  Or maybe with the changes in TV, to digital and different frequencies, maybe they are no longer needed,   All

advice welcome.

It was a capacitor, to quench the sparking on the commutator in particular. It will run without it, and broadcast digital transmission both rejects the RFI such a motor produces, and error corrects any breakthrough very efficiently.

However, we really ought not to shower the airwaves with junk, so a substitute small capacitor would be a good plan for old sparky. Hopefully someone will be able to recommend the suitable component choices. (DCC user, which has all the RFI suppression built in, so completely out of touch...)

I also have several, most have the original set up but when the wires snap off I just bung in any old ceramic capacitor which will fit, the bigger the better. 

I have found when testing motors on the bench that they run a lot sweeter and faster for any given voltage when there is a capacitor in circuit in parallel with them

If completely failed, sometimes it is the wire come unsoldered from the pickups underneath. Other times it can be corrosion at the end of brush spring where it meets the phosphor bronze strip through a hole or corrosion the opposite end where the strip goes under the magnet.