Aldersgate buildings 12 Percy Dalton's

After many hours on the NatWest Bank (Aldersgate buildings 11), I needed something more in my comfort zone.  To fill the gap between Booth's Distillery and the Flying Horse pub (no I don't expect anyone to know what I am talking about but I will add pictures later!), I am using a building which still stands and seemed to have been a wholesaler of peanuts opposite Spitalfields market.  Following redevelopment it's now the English Restaurant.  It's quite smart and I've dined there several times over the recent years and is probably in marked contrast to Dino's cafe which was next door in the 1950s!

Here are photos of the original and current sites of the prototype.  I am changing the colour of the woodwork from green to BR maroon because it will be near the Flying Horse which is already green.  I think the BR maroon is also a good 50s colour.  As can also been seen, the model is more "inspired by" rather than a direct copy.  Dino's cafe for instance has been move to the right from the left of the building.

Thanks for your interest 

Andrew

1970.jpg

2020 rest.jpg

drawing.jpg

stage 1.jpg

Edited by George Hudson
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 05/06/2020 at 08:52, George Hudson said:

Here are photos of the original and current sites of the prototype.  I am changing the colour of the woodwork from green to BR maroon because it will be near the Flying Horse which is already green.  I think the BR maroon is also a good 50s colour.  As can also been seen, the model is more "inspired by" rather than a direct copy.  Dino's cafe for instance has been move to the right from the left of the building.

1970.jpg

You're probably aware that the photo above (by David Granick) appears in the 'The East End in Colour 1960 - 1980' book which features a wealth of fascinating and interesting similar architectural period photos all taken by David. The Percy Daltons one above is of Brushfield Street and is dated 1970. 

There is also a sister book of the area that is similarly evocative and worthwhile looking through:

DSCN0624.JPG.58a0317e4190d12b38e1a4d525d95e0c.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

On 10/06/2020 at 09:58, Cornholio said:

@George Hudson I have a question about your window making technique.

Do you make the fine glazing bars by scoring the plastic, then rubbing white paint into the groove?

I can't fathom how else you get such fine sharp lines.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hi, yes you guessed correctly.  

That's exactly how I do it and the rest of the woodwork is achieved following "Stubby's" method, which I learnt on this forum, of using sticky lables.  The labels have a drawing of the window on them and you cut away and peel off the lable where the panes of glass are positioned.  

If the window frames are coloured then you can paint them and buff up the panes whilst wet.  This will spread the paint into any scratched-in glazing bars and edges of the lable.  Don't be too rough and use cotton buds.

Regards

Andrew

I think I show this in detail in my Aldersgate layout thread, quite where I don't know.  It's bee going for a decade or so!!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Still fiddling.....and a gate has appeared.   If you look at the workbench at the back there's a vice.

"What's under the tarpaulin? The last bloke that asked what's under the tarpaulin." (To be said in best Ray Winston voice).

yardie.jpg

Edited by George Hudson
add to text, change spelling
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2