BR Exhibition coaches

• RMweb Premium

Where is that first picture taken?  Third rail there makes me want to say the up goods loop west of Southampton Central for some unfathomable reason...

My first encounter with an exhibition train was at Marylebone in 1979/80? I'd love to find a pickure of it.

I walked onto the platform (aged 12 or 13) with some friends. I remember exclaiming loudly 'Wow look at that!' and rushed towards the rather unusual looking coaches. My friends had made similar exclamations from just behind me. There was a guy standing by the nearest open door and i asked if i could look inside. He indicated i was more than welcome to however as i advanced he grabbed my locoshed book.... and wrote in it! I snatched it back with a loud 'hey' and darted inside. To my horror everything inside was to do with football. I made my way through the train and came out the other end. To my surprise my friends were still on the outside and hadn't made it past the guy at the door. It turns out he was a famous footballer. Completely wasted on me. I couldn't stand it then as now.

I would be interested to know what it was all about and who the guy was that defaced my locoshed book.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 9 months later...

When i was with BT we had the Buzby Train in IIRC 1979 and 1980.   First time was at Kensington Olympia and it was stabled in the old milk dock at West Ealing, about 200yds from the office in 1980

I recall taking pics and still have the Buzby tie as well as a name tag.If this thread is still going,if i find them somewhere in the loft, will post them up

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2021 at 19:46, montyburns56 said:

GWR 150 Western Progress Rumney Cardiff July 1985 

GWR 150 train hauled by 37208 at Rumney Cardiff July 1985 by John Wiltshire: Peter Brabham collection

Useless trivia, the GWR exhibition train were all departmental 977xx stock. They were renumbered into the 996xx series in 1986

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Bomag said:

Useless trivia, the GWR exhibition train were all departmental 977xx stock. They were renumbered into the 996xx series in 1986

Not necessarily useless, you never know what questions might come up on The Chase!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, jonhall said:

LSWR Ironclad brakes?

Jon

If you go to the Flickr page someone says they are and someone else says they might be " L&Y 4 compartment corridor brake thirds with 10 foot wheelbase bogies, poss diagram 91"

19 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Here's a very similar LSWR Ironclad coach. The bogies look to be about the same and both have a simlar recess leading into the lookout section, but there is a difference in the roof. The L&YR design had separate rainstrips above each door, the Ironclads had a continuous one, so L&YR is likely correct.

Yeah, if you look at this picture of a L&Y coach ob this page the running board and underframe trusses match the exhibition coach, but the rainstrips don't match. I suspect that it has been modified and fitted with some old Ironclad bogies.

1474001.jpg

https://lyrtrust.org.uk/our-collection/projects/1474-bogie-5-compartment-brake-third/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, if you look at this picture of a L&Y coach on this page the running board and underframe trusses match the exhibition coach, but the rainstrips don't match. I suspect that it has been modified and fitted with some old Ironclad bogies.

Interesting conversion. The roof on that one wouldn't have given it away, of course, though replacing individual rainstrips with a continuous one makes more sense than putting on new individual door rainstrips when the doors are no longer there.

On 16/05/2021 at 19:18, jonhall said:

LSWR Ironclad brakes?

Jon

This is the LYR bogie - looks similar to me 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsdepartmentalcoach/e6640bf2c

The Ironclad bogie is similar, but the angled support appears to be round and not flat, and doesn't cross onto the top channel which is so characteristic of the exhibition coach bogie.

Paul

19 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

This is the LYR bogie - looks similar to me 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsdepartmentalcoach/e6640bf2c

The Ironclad bogie is similar, but the angled support appears to be round and not flat, and doesn't cross onto the top channel which is so characteristic of the exhibition coach bogie.

Paul

Yeah, it does look like the bogies on the exhibition coach might be the original L&Y ones after all.

I've just found some info about the Royal Journey exhibition on a blog.

"The first was ‘London on Wheels’, in May 1953, in which year a mobile exhibition was arranged called ‘Royal Journey’, which comprised a number of royal vehicles that were displayed first in London and then visited a number of other towns and cities, attracting 154,143 visitors during the 80 exhibition days."

https://machorne.wordpress.com/2017/08/11/britains-national-railway-museum-part-2/

royaljourney.jpg?w=640

• Informative/Useful 2