Toad Allocations

Were all toads allocated to specific locations or were any common user? 

Having replaced the brake vans on the Woodstowe branch (which is set in BR days) with the Hornby versions, I ought to "brand" them with the name of the junction station. As the layout is freelance, I will need to invent a name for this imaginary junction and then make up the name by cutting and pasting transfers. The favourite is "Stokeford" - its the easiest one to do by using a decal sheet which includes  Stoke Gifford and cutting out the "Gif". An alternative would be Stoke Hampton by cutting out "Wolver" from Wolverhampton. Most prototype toads that I've seen are branded with the name of the junction rather than the terminus, presumably because goods trains start and end there. 

On the other hand, it occurred to me that not all toads may have been branded with the name of any station to allow their use anywhere on the system. If so, that would save me the bother .... Any GWR or WR experts out there know?

Thanks in advance

David C

I think all Toads were branded, but that would not prevent those allocated to the big depots (Oxley, Severn Tunnel Junc etc) travelling extensively, including branch lines. Although most Toads had a very prescribed life, basically, the branding meant "Please return to".

The Railtec service sounds very useful.

• RMweb Premium

I dont know when exactly (its covered in another thread on here somewhere though) but at some point many were marked RU (restricted use) due to the propensity to propel guards out of the veranda, with the exact locations eg between Menheniot, Moorswater and Liskeard shown in a box.

edit: a bit later than i remembered but may be of interest

Edited by Hal Nail
typo

18 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The Railtec service sounds very useful.

I have just ordered 3 custom allocations from RailTec.  An excellent service that I can highly recommend.  No connection, just a satisfied customer etc.

Thanks for your responses. Just had a look at the Railtec site - looks very interesting and very reasonable and will certainly try them. Now I'm no longer restricted to Stokeford or Stokehampton or variations thereof, I'll have to think of a decent name for the junction......

David C