Need information on Coronation class tender drive tender chassis.

Hi all, 

The Black 5 I am restoring was going to have the tender from a tender drive Coronation, But I have just found out that the Black 5 tender body does not fit it. Can any one tell me if the tender body off a tender drive Duchess will fit.

Hi cypherman

I assume you are talking about the tender for the streamlined Coronation. If so the Black 5 tender body will not fit. Believe it or not the Coronation used the drive unit from the LMS Compound. The Black 5 and the Duchess  used the same tender drive unit so the Black 5 tender top will fit that. Just to make life interesting there are two types of drive. The original type used the unit with separate tender weights, smaller wheels and a plastic tender chassis. The later ones used the drive unit with the integral weights, large spokes wheels and a metal tender chassis.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Hi Scrapman,

It is the later tender with the metal chassis that I have. I have a choice now. I have bodged the tender body off another black 5 so it will fit. But am not happy with this. Or I can buy a replacement tender. But it does pose one question. Did the Black 5 ever run with the Fowler compound tender. Does the compound tender body fit the metal tender chassis, If so that may be a nice way to go.

Edited by cypherman