The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

old movies that scared you

peanuts

• RMweb Premium

There was a spooky one about six (I think) passengers in a train compartment, all familiar British actors including Peter Cushing and Roy Castle if I am correct.  If I remember correctly, Peter Cushing's character tells his fellow passengers a story about each one of them meets a nasty end.

As it turns out, Cushing is in fact Death and they all died in the train crash that is then revealed on the front page of Cushing's newspaper as he vanishes into thin air.

I think that was how it went....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, peanuts said:

Then there was Bambi.

Agree.  Disney could frighten the life out of any kid expecting Mickey Mouse!  Pinocchio swallowed by the whale, the Wicked Witch in Snow White.  Then I grew up!:lol:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2020 at 23:39, peanuts said:

we can all remember those old b/w fifties creature feature horror/ scifi movies that scared us silly as kids which were your favourits and why ?

for me the first one was "THEM " with the giant ants watched in a caravan in cromer whilst on holiday during a storm scared me silly especialy going over pelican crossings the next day 

last one was "Qatermass and the pit" those giant locusts and the scene with the crane at the end realy got to me as a ten year oold 

THEM! was shown on BBC2 in the mid seventies, I think, as part of a season of sci-fi/horror flicks. For years I thought it was called THEMI, not realising that the title had a ! in it..

Quatermass and the Pit, the film version at least, it still nicely scary and holds up very well.

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 11:27, Rugd1022 said:

Not a movie but a TV show - Gerry Anderson's 'UFO' was genuinely dark and creepy in places, one particular episode which gave me the heebee geebees was where Colonel Foster (the late Micheal Billington) was captured by the aliens and is seen later having the helmet removed, the green liquid coming out of it as he almost choked on it scared the crap out of me at the time...!

cbc6ee609c913fc24f81ed3859100670.jpg

As a child I also remember being really upset by the episode in which the dog gets killed. 

There's also one where Straker's kid gets run over - also upsetting, and unnecessarily so in a program

that was inevitably going to be watched by kids. But yes, the green fluid was really traumatising!

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 22:06, Steamport Southport said:

I remember when Arachnophobia first came out it was something like a 15 (or whatever the rating was back then).

I vaguely remember reading in the Murdoch press at the time  that  the producers  did a test of several types of large spiders for their docility, harmfullness and ability to train.  Based on the results they  chose the  Australian Huntsmen spider but our actors union had issues with it so they got them from New Zealand instead - where they'd been introduced from Australia in the 1920's.

Now thinking about it it was more likely our ban on exporting native wildlife that stopped them, but never let the Murdoch press miss a chance to  stick it to the unions!

First TV scare for me was the Dr Who episode where shop dummies came to life - that creeped out this 6 year old!

19 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

As a child I also remember being really upset by the episode in which the dog gets killed. 

There's also one where Straker's kid gets run over - also upsetting, and unnecessarily so in a program

that was inevitably going to be watched by kids. But yes, the green fluid was really traumatising!

I think kids in the 1970s were used to it. Just look at the adverts....:scared:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I gather a lot of the public information films from the 70s have been wiped, which is a shame as there were some properly scary ones.

I remember one about driving too fast over blind bends and hills, where a bloke comes over a hill too fast to react to a group of aliens

that have set up some kind of trap in the middle of the road! Of course what with UFO being on around the same time, one could only

imagine that the poor driver had been teleported away to have his organs harvested and/or made to breathe green fluid. They don't

make 'em like that any more.

• RMweb Premium

The original Dracula with Bela Lugosi was one of the creepiest films I remember seeing, the old grainy film quality just added to the atmosphere!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

There were quite a few episodes of 'UFO' with downbeat themes and endings, particularly in the second batch they filmed. The contact lens being removed in the opening sequence also gave me the shivers back in 1971! As dark and creepy as they were, by far the weirdest notion was that aliens would begin their invasion of Earth by choosing to land in a small forest just outside Slough, right on the edge of the Berkshire Alps..... :biggrin_mini2:

5b8b23815bfb7fd55c0ac8f65e4c5e19.jpg

UFO 680e9902.jpg

37915968_10156982429852668_8155280938117365760_n.jpg

_z_ufo.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

For some reason Carry on Screaming would terrify me, seems silly now. That and The Ghost Train, the part it goes screaming by got me every time. I enjoy them now.

As a child of the 70's those public information films about building sites and farms kept me awake for years after. I seem to remember one about a train as well.

• Like 1