Modern day Lincolnshire freight flows

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was talking to a friend about the new Aberdeen to Spalding china clay slurry and started wondering what other modern day freight flows that go through Lincolnshire.  I’ve compiled a list but not sure if there’s any more.

Aberdeen - Spalding - china clay - Colas Class 70

Wolverhampton Steel Terminal/Bescot - Boston - steel - DBC Class 60

Carlisle - Boston - aggregate - DC Rail Class 60?

Kingsbury - Lindsey - oil - DBC Class 60

Immingham - Scunthorpe - iron ore/coal - Class 66?

Numerous Intermodal trains via Peterborough, Spalding, Lincoln, Doncaster hauled usually by DBC, Freightliner and GBRf Class 66’s

Does anyone else know of any other recent regular freight workings that start or finish in Lincolnshire?

• RMweb Gold

Lindsey OR-Colas Ribble Rail - bitumen tanks - 6M32/6E32 - Colas Class 70 or double-headed class 56.

Immingham Biomass Loading Point-Drax Power station - biomass hoppers - DB Cargo class 66

Edited by 4630
Add an additional working.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lincolnshire is quite a big county, and I take it you are including North and North East Lincolnshire, due to the mention of Scunthorpe.

The upgrade to the GE-GN joint brought more freight to avoid the ECML. I lived in Ruskington for a while, and before the upgrade there was only ever an EWS  paper train unless ECML was under possession, usually Newark flat crossing, and then there were all sorts.

Anyway there used to be a Dollands Moor - Scunthorpe steel empties, 92 up the ECML, don't know if that still runs.

And then there is the Plasmor blocks from Heck which was/is EWS/DBS/DBC.

Lincoln Terrace was the starting point for a steel scrap train run by DBS. Does that still run?

The Langworth - Lindsey oil was a short tanker train, but doesn't run anymore, not sure how recently it stopped.

Edited by Davexoc
typo correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Lincolnshire is quite a big county, and I take it you are including North and North East Lincolnshire, due to the mention of Scunthorpe.

The upgrade to the GC-GN joint brought more freight to avoid the ECML. I lived in Ruskington for a while, and before the upgrade there was only ever an EWS  paper train unless ECML was under possession, usually Newark flat crossing, and then there were all sorts.

Anyway there used to be a Dollands Moor - Scunthorpe steel empties, 92 up the ECML, don't know if that still runs.

And then there is the Plasmor blocks from Heck which was/is EWS/DBS/DBC.

Lincoln Terrace was the starting point for a steel scrap train run by DBS. Does that still run?

The Langworth - Lindsey oil was a short tanker train, but doesn't run anymore, not sure how recently it stopped.

The Dollands Moor - Scunthorpe steel train still runs and is DBC Class 66 throughout, and I’ve seen run via LIncoln and ECML.  The Plasmor block train again still runs, again with DBC Class 66’s.  

One train I forgot to mention is the Middleton Towers - Goole sand train via Lincoln and operating with a GBRf Class 66.

Edited by jools1959
Typos

1 hour ago, Ian Smeeton said:

I ave to ask....

Why is China Clay slurry being sent from Aberdeen to Spalding?

I wasn't aware of any China clay works in the NE of Scotland.

Regards

Ian

There aren't; it's imported via Aberdeen Docks. It's being running to Irvine for some time; I wonder why it's going to Spalding.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s for onward transport by road tanker* from Spalding to a paper mill in Kings Lynn.

* presumably quite a few road tanker loads!

Edited by 4630
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

There aren't; it's imported via Aberdeen Docks. It's being running to Irvine for some time; I wonder why it's going to Spalding.

As per what 4630 said, it being unloaded at Spalding and then taken by road to a paper mill in Kings Lynn.  They can’t unload at Kings Lynn because of pathing issues north of Ely as well there’s no easy access to unload it.  I believe the service is booked to run for about a year.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/06/2020 at 12:01, JohnH said:

Is it actually china clay from Brazil or chalk slurry on this flow?

As mentioned above it is China Clay Slurry.

I'm suprised that if it's arriving in Aberdeen by boat, why isn't it being shipped to Lynn docks for unloading?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Catkins said:

As mentioned above it is China Clay Slurry.

I'm suprised that if it's arriving in Aberdeen by boat, why isn't it being shipped to Lynn docks for unloading?

I believe that two other flows start and finish in Aberdeen, Workington is one but I can’t remember the other.

• Thanks 1