Any known suppliers of Airfix original tension lock couplings

Does anyone know of a source or supplier of the original small Airfix tension lock coupling??  I would like to replace the couplings that I removed from some of my models in the '80's.

It seems rather funny now that industry has gone to couplings that are little different to the Airfix couplings that they originally came out with in (IIRC) 1975!!

Many thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Mark. 

• RMweb Gold

When I changed all my plastic wheels to metal ones a couple of years ago, I had exactly the same thought! I remember buying "converter" couplings to change them over to big ones! Ended up with just one Lowmac on original couplings. I can't believe I threw the originals away, but can't find them now (some 36? years later!) or else I would have put them back. I did search 'tinternet' for any small couplings that would just clip in, but found nothing... Strange the craze to replace the originals back when I was a teenager... 

• RMweb Gold

Hornby R8099 will plug into an Airfix socket and give you the same profile as a narrow NEM coupling.

They come in a pack of ten.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/coupling-assembly-pack.html

If you need the retaining plates the part is Hornby L7843.  I think Dapol RET4 is the same but they don't have any at the moment.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

On Ebay at the moment Jadlam Racing have R8099 at £8.95 + 99p postage for a pack of 10, cheaper for multi-buy.

Hampshire Models Ltd have RET4 at £10 incl postage for a pack of 20. 

You may find cheaper at some other shops on their websites.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Alun, that should be 36-026.

I used the same method in the past before I found the Hornby R8099.

Eric

Thank you, a typo, now corrected.  If you clicked on the link to my Flickr photo and description, 36-026 is/was quoted correctly.  The advantage of the 36-026 over the R8099 is it allows you to couple stock closer together - if your curves allow,

Alun

I might have some, having removed all my t/locks and stored them. If you can give me a bit better description, particularly of the fitting of them. How many do you need?

I might add that the store is reasonably sorted, in the order of Triang-H/D-Airfix-Mainline types etc, so should be fairly easy to find.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I almost certainly have some too, I am also in Ontario.

Can you describe or post a photo and I will see how many I have.

I see BR60103 is in Guelph which I guess is closer for you.

Tom

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 20:46, YK 50A said:

In case it helps, years ago I modified the Bachmann 36-026 and it also allowed me to couple my stock closer together.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alunhughes/8617782992/in/photostream/

An idea borrowed (pinched?) from @Silver Sidelines.

Alun

Thanks for referencing that, I have a stock of those couplings that I used to replace old Mainline ones. I also have a couple of Airfix wagons that have lost the couplings in the midst of time so that is most handy.

• Like 1

Thank you all for you responses.

The Hornby replacements look like a good modern alternative, not quite the same profile as the original, but as close as 'dammit'....

I'll try an get a picture and post it here.

Mark.

Hi all;

I was just able to grab a quick picture before I have to head off to work.  I hope the quality is good enough to illustrate the coupling....I just snapped it with my 'phone...

Thanks for looking.

Mark.

coupling.jpg