Hi Chris,

Those are great, I'm fairly sure there will be many orders forthcoming for this!

One query - on the prototype the lifting 'T slots' in the bufferbeam go all the way through the bufferbeam, whereas on the EP they appear to be blind.  I fully appreciate this may be a limitation of the die-casting process, but will they go all the way through on the final model?  No worries if not - easy enough to rectify!

The engineer in me is also slightly intrigued by the chassis - are the frames plastic overlays on a die-cast block?  Nice way of getting the details in, if they are. 

Cheers

Alastair

Looks superb Chris & Chris. I had hoped to resist this one, but resistance is waning.... Whilst you’ve succeeded in getting it round the set track curves, for those of us with tighter than prototype curves, what’s the overhang like for coupling up to vehicles?

Cheers,

Andrew

3 minutes ago, clarkea1 said:

Hi Chris,

Those are great, I'm fairly sure there will be many orders forthcoming for this!

One query - on the prototype the lifting 'T slots' in the bufferbeam go all the way through the bufferbeam, whereas on the EP they appear to be blind.  I fully appreciate this may be a limitation of the die-casting process, but will they go all the way through on the final model?  No worries if not - easy enough to rectify!

The engineer in me is also slightly intrigued by the chassis - are the frames plastic overlays on a die-cast block?  Nice way of getting the details in, if they are. 

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair,

We will look at the lifting T slots as part of our review. 

The frames are moulded plastic overlays attached to the die-cast chassis block. We used the same techniques on the GWR 57XX/8750 o-6-0PT and the Kerr Stuart 0-6-0T locomotives. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

The EP weighs 1.15kgs and runs smoothly through Peco Setrack curves.

18 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Finger poised over order button.....just need to know it can negotiate those setrack points!

Aren't the points the same radius as the curves?

Looks superb!! :good: :locomotive:

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Minerva is pleased to report that the first engineering prototype (EP) of its 0 gauge RTR Class 14 0-6-0DH locomotive has been delivered for assessment.  The project is running about 3 months late due to the Covid-19 situation.

We are pleased with the general appearance and detail of the EP. The cab interior is fully detailed and the model will be wired for the Plux22 DCC decoder. The EP weighs 1.15kgs and runs smoothly through Peco Setrack curves. Some minor changes will be required. The photos exclude the push-fit headcode lenses, which will be supplied loose to enable owners to fit headcodes of their choice. The locos will be finished in the British Railways two-tone green livery and a sheet of Railtec decals will be supplied enabling all members of the class to be represented.

We hope to have the model available in the autumn of 2020, subject to the Covid-19 pandemic situation. Prices are DC £290, DCC-fitted £345, DCC sound-fitted £415 and carriage is £9 per loco. Order forms are available on the Minerva website https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/

Please contact Chris Basten or Chris Klein for more information.

Minerva_Cl 14_EP1_002 small file.jpg

Minerva_Cl 14_EP1_003 small file.jpg

Minerva_Cl 14_EP1_007 small file.jpg

Minerva_Cl 14_EP1_004 small file.jpg

Minerva_Cl 14_EP1_006 small file.jpg

Looking very good Chris.

For those of us attempting Radio Control, dead rail, will there be much room for batteries inside?

Kind regards,

CME

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 21:41, Andrew Young said:

Looks superb Chris & Chris. I had hoped to resist this one, but resistance is waning.... Whilst you’ve succeeded in getting it round the set track curves, for those of us with tighter than prototype curves, what’s the overhang like for coupling up to vehicles?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

I have attached a photo of the EP coupled to a Minerva OPEN A wagon on a Peco Setrack Curve.

On 06/06/2020 at 22:07, New Haven Neil said:

Finger poised over order button.....just need to know it can negotiate those setrack points!

It runs smoothly through Peco Setrack curves.

On 07/06/2020 at 08:07, Ressaldar said:

Hi Chris's,

A winner for sure, well done.

Will the headcode letters/numerals also be on the Railtec sheet?

Will the running lights be wired up?

Stay safe and well

regards

Mike

Mike,

A selection of headcodes will be printed on the instruction leaflet.

The running lights will not be wired. 

15 hours ago, Meld9003 said:

Does it have the squarish recess that was added to the engine door nearest the cab on the left hand side?

Yes.

Coupling on Peco Setrack Curve.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2020 at 22:27, F-UnitMad said:

Aren't the points the same radius as the curves?

Looks superb!! :good: :locomotive:

Yes, but they also have frogs and check rails - and that's a LOONG wheelbase.  Chris has confirmed to me privately that it does go through them fine.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yes, but they also have frogs and check rails - and that's a LOONG wheelbase.  Chris has confirmed to me privately that it does go through them fine.

It does run through Peco Setrack points without difficulty on DC. However, for DCC running, I would rewire the points to ensure there was no possibility of a short circuit on the open switch rail. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hello,

thanks for the interesting pictures.

Behind the access ladder to the driver's cab the mesh is still missing as protection.
But I think that will be added. Unfortunately the small lamps above the buffer board are not wired. That is a pity. Maybe reconsider to do it after all.

But if possible, please prepare the connections (solder pads) for the front lamps and stay-alive-pack on the decoder PCB. This is not a big expenditure.

The decision for the PluX22 interface pleases me and is a step in the right direction.

I am very satisfied with the fact that the model drives through the Peco Setrack radius. This increases the acceptance by potential buyers considerably.

Thanks for your attention, best greetings from Germany, Torsten

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, blackmoor_vale said:

Hello,

thanks for the interesting pictures.

Behind the access ladder to the driver's cab the mesh is still missing as protection.
But I think that will be added. Unfortunately the small lamps above the buffer board are not wired. That is a pity. Maybe reconsider to do it after all.

But if possible, please prepare the connections (solder pads) for the front lamps and stay-alive-pack on the decoder PCB. This is not a big expenditure.

The decision for the PluX22 interface pleases me and is a step in the right direction.

I am very satisfied with the fact that the model drives through the Peco Setrack radius. This increases the acceptance by potential buyers considerably.

Thanks for your attention, best greetings from Germany, Torsten

Dear Torsten,

Protective mesh was not fitted behind the cab steps. This is a common misunderstanding unless you can find photographs of Class 14 locos fitted with mesh in British Railways use. Mesh may have been fitted to some preserved locomotives, but care is always needed when viewing preserved locos because of modifications.  

We will not wire the running lamps as it is complex and adds to the cost of the model, which we want to keep below £300 for the DC version. Each lamp could show a red and white light, but they were not used as head and tail lamps for which standard oil lamps were used mounted on the  lamp irons fitted to the electric lamp housing.  Solder pads for stay-alive will be fitted. 

Ultimately, all models involve compromises because of cost or tooling and manufacturing limitations e.g. the cosmetic springs on the chassis have been thinned to allow sufficient sideplay for the loco to traverse Peco Setrack curves. The art is judging whether a compromise will be a deal-breaker. Meanwhile, we have spent the past few days trying to solve a tricky tooling issue that involves a small, but visible detail. 

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Chris K

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 17/06/2020 at 08:59, 81A Oldoak said:

Dear Torsten,

Protective mesh was not fitted behind the cab steps. This is a common misunderstanding unless you can find photographs of Class 14 locos fitted with mesh in British Railways use. Mesh may have been fitted to some preserved locomotives, but care is always needed when viewing preserved locos because of modifications.  

We will not wire the running lamps as it is complex and adds to the cost of the model, which we want to keep below £300 for the DC version. Each lamp could show a red and white light, but they were not used as head and tail lamps for which standard oil lamps were used mounted on the  lamp irons fitted to the electric lamp housing.  Solder pads for stay-alive will be fitted. 

Ultimately, all models involve compromises because of cost or tooling and manufacturing limitations e.g. the cosmetic springs on the chassis have been thinned to allow sufficient sideplay for the loco to traverse Peco Setrack curves. The art is judging whether a compromise will be a deal-breaker. Meanwhile, we have spent the past few days trying to solve a tricky tooling issue that involves a small, but visible detail. 

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Chris K

Hi Chris 

I think you will find that the mesh behind the cab steps was fitted from new and is not been added to preserved locos.

Here’s a photo of D9509 at Canton 1968 also being one of the owners of D9521 in the past our loco had them fitted and all other Class 14 ‘s I have been on also have them fitted.

F332D3D0-E6CB-4276-BA86-11258C5DEF26.jpeg.4e8544823bb4f373912cb59b82104be5.jpegF332D3D0-E6CB-4276-BA86-11258C5DEF26.jpeg.4e8544823bb4f373912cb59b82104be5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, TEDDYBEAR D9521 said:

Hi Chris 

I think you will find that the mesh behind the cab steps was fitted from new and is not been added to preserved locos.

Here’s a photo of D9509 at Canton 1968 also being one of the owners of D9521 in the past our loco had them fitted and all other Class 14 ‘s I have been on also have them fitted.

F332D3D0-E6CB-4276-BA86-11258C5DEF26.jpeg.4e8544823bb4f373912cb59b82104be5.jpegF332D3D0-E6CB-4276-BA86-11258C5DEF26.jpeg.4e8544823bb4f373912cb59b82104be5.jpeg

11 hours ago, TEDDYBEAR D9521 said:

D9524 at Old Oak Common 1965 mesh fitted behind steps.

8EF84117-EC33-4076-BBE5-9E1BC0B71135.jpeg.afe0d3087d2d466afc4d30fdd91975af.jpeg

11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

That is very fine. I'd be tempted to try something like stockings to replicate that.

Although I'll be honest I'm struggling to remember the last time i actually saw a pair!

Thank you for the photos. The angle of lighting is very helpful. We will talk to the factory to see if a solution is possible, but It won't be an etched metal or injection-moulded part as they will be too heavy. Worst case is that we can't find a practicable or economically viable solution and that individual owners may have to raid the hosiery stock of their nearest and dearest. 

Chris K

• Like 1
  • Funny 1