Very small Bo-Bo prototype for these specicfications

DK123GWR

Hi all. I am contemplating the long term future of an Underground Ernie train (Jubilee, for those who are interested). The dimensions are very small (I recall reading that it was built in H0 scale, though whether this is true or not I have no idea - the prototype is fictional after all. These are, if I have copied everything correctly:

- Bogie wheelbase 24mm (1824mm)

- Bogie centre to centre 69mm (5244mm)

- Total wheelbase 93mm (7068mm)

- Wheel diameter 10.5mm (798mm)

The smallest BR Bo-Bo that I can find is the Class 16, which has a wheelbase of 8.69m according to Wikipedia. Are there any similar (or even smaller) UK based designs that people can think of? It doesn't have to be spot on (as a First Attempt In Learning the body will be far from spot on) but If there is a suitable design to attempt I would be interested to know about it. Any suggestions for MU prototypes are also welcome as I have the trailer car, although as the chassis is shorter than a Parry People Mover I doubt that these exist. Otherwise, it'll be a Type 1 loco inspired by the class 16. This is probably a couple of years off as I have quite a bit to do first, but I'm trying to create a clear roadmap and would like to get some initial ideas for projects like this as early as possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• RMweb Gold

Depending on your era, I think your onto a hiding to nothing using the chassis for a UK mainline prototype, though the Parry People mover sounds interesting.  I would look towards industrial or maybe metro loco’s, maybe build your own creation and say in your world it was built by a local works to their design and totally one off.

19 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Depending on your era, I think your onto a hiding to nothing using the chassis for a UK mainline prototype, though the Parry People mover sounds interesting.  I would look towards industrial or maybe metro loco’s, maybe build your own creation and say in your world it was built by a local works to their design and totally one off.

The PPM is 16 10 years too late for me, but I thought it would be useful to highlight the size. Regarding industrial or prototype locos I have decided to turn the New North Main Line into a preserved railway, so just about anything could have ended up running there if it were available.

The metro idea is interesting - perhaps it could be an experimental loco suitable for both London Underground and main line use. Does anyone know the rough size of tube vehicles? I know they had some electric locos for shunting, such as L11, but have no idea whether they were as long as regular carriages or not.

Edited by DK123GWR
Got my dates wrong...

Just some lateral thoughts:

A 24.5mm bogie wheelbase crops up quite a lot for H0 European trams but the 10.5mm wheel might be a bit large.  Bogie centres would be pretty close for driving the centre section of a Sheffield Supertram vehicle - about 6m prototype.

On the Underground, the District electric loco has a 6' 6"' bogie wheelbase, 36" wheels, and 12' 10" bogie centres. 

Even more left-field, the ex-Ford BoBo diesel loco has 7' wheelbase bogies, 38" wheels and 18' bogie centres. 

I know the latter two locomotive bodies are available as 3D prints.

Edited by Engineer
Use of English and better techincal information from drawings

2 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

Hi all. I am contemplating the long term future of an Underground Ernie train (Jubilee, for those who are interested). The dimensions are very small (I recall reading that it was built in H0 scale, though whether this is true or not I have no idea - the prototype is fictional after all. These are, if I have copied everything correctly:

- Bogie wheelbase 24mm (1824mm)

- Bogie centre to centre 69mm (5244mm)

- Total wheelbase 93mm (7068mm)

- Wheel diameter 10.5mm (798mm)

Those dimensions can't be very far off DS74 :  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135992-has-anyone-built-a-model-of-ds74-the-sr-durnsford-road-shunter/&/topic/135992-has-anyone-built-a-model-of-ds74-the-sr-durnsford-road-shunter/?view=getnewpost

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

The metro idea is interesting - perhaps it could be an experimental loco suitable for both London Underground and main line use. Does anyone know the rough size of tube vehicles? I know they had some electric locos for shunting, such as L11, but have no idea whether they were as long as regular carriages or not.

If you went via the LT route, it likely to have been built to tube line specs as there would have to be capacity for it to run on both tube and surface lines.  Acton works were quite adept at converting redundant stock into pilot motors, de-icing and other works vehicles.  Again you could build something unique and say it’s on a trial, it did happen now and again and the BR Class 25 comes too mind.