New Hornby HST New Measurement Train

cjs11

Dear Moderators, I don’t know where to ask this, please put it in the right place I found I have erred. Thank you.

Dear Forum

Please can anyone shed light on the forthcoming R3769 Network Rail HST Measurement Train? What is new about this? Why the reissue?

There was R2984, what was wrong (if anything with that). I am looking at the NR HST, but wondered if I should hold on for R3769 to appear?

(I think there was also R3366, but that didn't have the buffer fronts.)

R2984 and R3769 both appear to be 5pole motors, both DCC Ready 8-pin, both directional lights, both with detail pack. Is it merely that R3769 now carries the nameplates (Railway Observer on one, and Mark Carne CBE on the other)?

Thanks for any insight and appreciation of which the more worthwhile, R2984 or R3769.

CJ

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cjs11 said:

Dear Moderators, I don’t know where to ask this, please put it in the right place I found I have erred. Thank you.

Dear Forum

Please can anyone shed light on the forthcoming R3769 Network Rail HST Measurement Train? What is new about this? Why the reissue?

There was R2984, what was wrong (if anything with that). I am looking at the NR HST, but wondered if I should hold on for R3769 to appear?

(I think there was also R3366, but that didn't have the buffer fronts.)

R2984 and R3769 both appear to be 5pole motors, both DCC Ready 8-pin, both directional lights, both with detail pack. Is it merely that R3769 now carries the nameplates (Railway Observer on one, and Mark Carne CBE on the other)?

Thanks for any insight and appreciation of which the more worthwhile, R2984 or R3769.

CJ

It just looks like a new livery issue and that's it, it's normal practice to keep re-issuing livery and number variations on models.

• Like 1

As Woodenhead says, livery updates/number variations between the sets.

A significant livery change included changing the side wording from 'New Measurement Train' to 'Improving Your Railway' (later livery).

R2984 had: 43013 (B) & 43014 (B) 'New Measurement Train'

R3366 had: 43062 & 43014 (B) 'New Measurement Train'

R3769 has: 43013 (B/N) & 43014 (B/N) 'Improving Your Railway'

Where (B) = Buffers; (B/N) = Buffers and named

The two sets of coaches released over the years also reflected the livery updates.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 3

Guest Half-full

I hope they paint all the small details this time, I remember someone having a meltdown a while back because a tiny bit of black wasnt painted

On 07/06/2020 at 11:19, cjs11 said:

Why the reissue?

Because they think they can sell them

On 07/06/2020 at 11:19, cjs11 said:

R2984 or R3769

I would hazard a guess you'd be lucky to find a R2984 for similar money to what R3769 is pre orderable for.

Depends on when you are wanting the model to represent (as mentioned above) but another factor is availability of coaches, getting a 5 coach set up looks easier with the newer stuff.

The batch of 3 coaches from last year (R4909-4911) are fairly common still at not too silly prices, and there are another two to pre order to go with them. These all have black roofs.

The earlier grey roofed ones seem harder to come by and normally command a high price from what I have seen.

One thing to bear in mind about this, as @Half-full has mentioned, that the NMT is not fully detailed in regards to power cars or coaches, The most obvious omission of detail is the pantograph from the OHLE test coach, the filled in glazing not being flush on the coach bodies and some sensors etc missing and I don't think the power cars don't have the light above the windscreen moulded either. All products of a fully detailed one not being financially viable I expect. I decided to not bother getting one, I wanted a HST and these omissions were a contributing factor on me choosing Scotrail instead. The other factors were the new tooled SD mk3s, the livery, the length (4 coaches is better than 5/6 for me) and the fact I have a mk2/37 based Colas test train as it is.

I appreciate the reasons why its not 100% accurate, but given you're into £450 ish for a 5 coach rake IF you can get the stuff for near RRP, its not cheap enough to be a lark about for me either!

I aren't saying don't buy one, just making you aware to avoid disappointment if you do without knowing.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

I love this opening post, reminds us that sometimes we get bogged down in the details when some are happy to have a yellow HST and call it the NMT. 

R2984 & R3366 represent the NMT between 2007 and 2010

The PC were 'de-branded' during 2010/2011 winter downturn and no model represents this period (2011-2016).

R3769 represents the NMT since April 2016 to present day.

Coaches are available to represent the 2007-2010 version 'NMT' and 2017-present day 'IYR'

Edited by 159220
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, GBRf66701 said:

I’m looking at the new R3769 Hornby NMT power cars and on 43014 it looks like the logo is not straight. Is anyone else’s the same?

F6A056EF-F372-4ABB-A7C9-F409495A611E.jpeg

I was worried that this might happen. The Scotrail HST's from last year had wonky branding on them too (the 'city' in the 'inter7city') and this looks even worse. This is where I feel Hornby really let down us modern image modellers as this sort of stuff wouldn't be tolerated in the Steam community.

Hopefully this picture is just a bad set but I have a feeling its not.

Edited by bart2day
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, bart2day said:

I was worried that this might happen. The Scotrail HST's from last year had wonky branding on the too (the 'city' in the 'inter7city') and this looks even worse. This is where I feel Hornby really let down us modern image modellers as this sort of stuff wouldn't be tolerated in the Steam community.

And you think it's tolerated in the non-steam community?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And you think it's tolerated in the non-steam community?

Not necessarily but it happened last year with the Scotrail set, people barely commented on it and now it looks like its happened again.

Edited by bart2day

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bart2day said:

This is where I feel Hornby really let down us modern image modellers as this sort of stuff wouldn't be tolerated in the Steam community.

I seem to remember there was hell to pay when a recent class 60 was released incorrectly decorated! Don’t just say us steamies are the pernickety ones! 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Informative/Useful 1

It looks like the tampo machine is moving whilst printing on the logo! Got a bit of a wave effect to it. Either the tampo printing machine is moving or the actual tampo printing pad is being put under slightly more pressure than normal causing it to wave off slightly.

It's a real shame. I hope Hornby can "Improve" their factory's tampo printing next time... Though in all honesty, it's not exactly Hornby's fault, they could've easily signed off a sample that was fine and the errors occurred during production and the factory has either not been aware or just sloppy QC. Hornby would've only seen these once they reached the UK.

It's certainly not acceptable for the price Hornby and/or retailers charge. However in my opinion, it's an easy fix. If I were to have one of these sets, I'll be pulling out some decal paper.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, GBRf66701 said:

Shame really. Especially as seen as they are £260.

BDD6B2EA-A14F-4C6D-A2CA-D24F3AA61723.jpeg

A5E39039-DDCA-41B5-A7D3-A9E3153EEC8C.jpeg

Thats a real shame. In that you can’t even use them one way round to hide the imperfection on the other side. Also weird because the ‘railway’ part looks straight enough, it’s the ‘improving your’ bit that’s wonky. I would have thought that that would all be printed together so it’s either all wonky or all straight.

If anyone else receives their power cars in the next few days it’ll be interesting to see if this is a bad on everyones.

EDIT: Looks like they are all like that. Kernow just uploaded some images on their website and they have exactly the same problem on one side.

Edited by bart2day

• RMweb Gold

Just run it at scale top speed you’ll never notice! 

Funny how there comments about a wonky decal spoiling the model but (most) people are happy to have incorrect painted out windows on the matching coaches

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Just run it at scale top speed you’ll never notice! 

Funny how there comments about a wonky decal spoiling the model but (most) people are happy to have incorrect painted out windows on the matching coaches

My layout is end to end. A lot of people only have short layouts or TMD's. No excuse from Hornby not to be able to get a decal straight for the very high price they are charging for them. These are not cheap models.

Not that funny. The painted out windows are not incorrect as far as I can see. They're all in the right place.

Edited by bart2day
  • Agree 2

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, bart2day said:

My layout is end to end. A lot of people only have short layouts or TMD's. No excuse from Hornby not to be able to get a decal straight for the very high price they are charging for them. These are not cheap models.

Not that funny. The painted out windows are not incorrect as far as I can see. They're all in the right place.

The various NMT coaches have plated windows/grilles/pantographs etc etc.  I dont think any of the ones offered by Hornby are accurate.

21 minutes ago, Half-full said:

The various NMT coaches have plated windows/grilles/pantographs etc etc.  I dont think any of the ones offered by Hornby are accurate.

No, I don't think any of the models are accurate TBH, but deliberate omissions that make the model viable vs what appears to be bad QC are different matters IMO.

I wonder if it will end up being redone like Bow Fell?

• Agree 2