New Hornby HST New Measurement Train

cjs11

18 hours ago, Walkes07 said:

Hornby could of design the hst like the Bachmann blue Pullman. All pin connections from the powercar , through the coaches to the another power car. 2 motors and 2 sound chips. 

I’m sure my BP is electrically 3+3. Motor and two trailers. There is a non-conductive coupling in the middle. The motors are not through connected. (It’s in an inaccessible display case, can anybody else confirm)? 

Edited by miles73128
Typo

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby HST is a superb model . Good high speed too . The only issue is it’s way too expensive .  But Hornby are selling them at that price , including to me that bought the Scotrail set .  I do think they are missing a trick though . If these were priced below £200 instead of £260  I might also have bought an LNER one , including all the stock .  Then there’s the complexity of whether they will introduce the newer liveries on their Railroad model .

Black 5 Bear has probably got it right . QC may vary according to what factory the model is being produced in .  I would have thought though that there must be a Hornby QC person who inspects a production sample before accepting all the models . Given that the writing appears squint on them all It seems either he missed it or that step doesn’t exist .  Not good enough I’m afraid , especially not on a £260 model .  Doesn’t give you confidence to order a £355 Azuma in case that’s wrong too . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Doesn’t give you confidence to order a £355 Azuma in case that’s wrong too

Well as I have said in other posts, I think last year's batch *could* have been delayed on QC grounds. It was lastminute.com when it was pulled.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Informative/Useful 1

So Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and Kernow have all uploaded photos of the actual model and the wonky writing is apparent on all three so its obviously a full batch-wide issue. Will be interesting to see what Hornby are willing to do about it. I am aware that 'Derails' model shop are on the case.

Am I right in thinking that the Hornby class 60 model doesn't have any wiring connecting the body to the chassis making a body replacement very simple?

Edited by bart2day

5 minutes ago, bart2day said:

So Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and Kernow have all uploaded photos of the actual model and the wonky writing is apparent on all three so its obviously a full batch-wide issue. Will be interesting to see what Hornby are willing to do about it. I am aware that 'Derails' model shop are on the case.

Am I right in thinking that the Hornby class 60 model doesn't have any wiring connecting the body to the chassis making a body replacement very simple?

I think the lights were on the body on my 60007, but it's a fairly old one so maybe not the case anymore.

• Like 1

Looking online I found a picture of the production samples that were on display in Margate in January but unfortunately they only show the side where the writing is straight. :mda:image.png.e6970d19fd44f695e3e9e7910fc32a77.png

Edited by bart2day
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, bart2day said:

There's two sprung contacts that connect the lights in the body to the rest of the electronics onboard which is part of the chassis.

24 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

There's two sprung contacts that connect the lights in the body to the rest of the electronics onboard which is part of the chassis.

Thankyou. Thats what I thought. So Hornby providing replacement body shells for those (as they did for bow fell) is straightforward for the customer to fit, with it just being a case of popping the old one off and the new one on. I think they’ll be more reluctant to provide customers with replacement body shells for the HST power cars due to the amount of soldering/desoldering which would be required for a body swap. More likely, if anything, is that they will offer customers the chance to send their sets in and Hornby will replace them and send them back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Umm, the current version of the HST power cars has the lights connected to the chassis by a plug so if they want simplicity they just need to supply replacement body shells with the light unit already fitted.

Replacement is then a simple case of unplugging the cable.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

If they do replacement bodies then can sell the old ones off cheap to people like me who aren’t bothered by the slightly wonky Decal but want to update their old livery NMT power cars to the current livery

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

If they do replacement bodies then can sell the old ones off cheap to people like me who aren’t bothered by the slightly wonky Decal but want to update their old livery NMT power cars to the current livery

Could soon be fixed with a transfer too I'd expect.

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Could soon be fixed with a transfer too I'd expect.

If the power cars were about 150 quid I'd just pick it up and print out a set of decals and do it myself.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

If the power cars were about 150 quid I'd just pick it up and print out a set of decals and do it myself.

Or even use Railtec decals....

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, bart2day said:

I think 60007 had a (very untidy) plug/socket arrangement, whilst all those before/(and I think) after have the sprung contacts.

edit:

They did.

Edited by newbryford
clarification of info
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

i managed to get the old livery ones for under £100 on eBay and already  have the Railtec decals to rebrand them when I can be bothered, for all the coaches to do as well!

I was tempted to get the latest Hornby release coaches and plate the windows properly (as I’ve already done with my existing NMT set) and patch paint the work I’d done as the Hornby decals and finish are far better than I could apply but I don’t think it would look quite right 

51 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I think 60007 had a (very untidy) plug/socket arrangement, whilst all those before/after have the sprung contacts.

Certainly was messy on mine! When I sold it I explained in the listing I thought the previous owner had been messing about with the wiring but from what I have read since I aren't sure that was the case! Didn't know it was limited to 60007 though, and makes me feel better about the potential purchase of a new one (DB 60 or 66 on my shopping list for steel trains).

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Or even use Railtec decals....

Honestly don't mind doing that, but living half way across the world and on a part time job, I'm looking to save money where I can. Railtec aren't expensive, neither is postage, but there's the possibility that I'll never see the decals. Since Jan I've had 5 model railway related items ordered and shipped from the UK, only one reached me in Feb and that was the Hornby Centenary edition Rocket. I have no idea where my other stuff is and starting to wonder whether I've lost 300 quid worth of stuff #regrets

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I think 60007 had a (very untidy) plug/socket arrangement, whilst all those before/(and I think) after have the sprung contacts.

edit:

They did.

That's absolutely correct, I remember looking forward to it for quite a while and then being really disappointed with what I saw. Poor Simon got a strongly worded email from me. Thankfully since they have made better decisions. Simon did respond and explained the situation to me with an apology as well.

i managed to get the old livery ones for under £100 on eBay and already  have the Railtec decals to rebrand them when I can be bothered, for all the coaches to do as well!

I was tempted to get the latest Hornby release coaches and plate the windows properly (as I’ve already done with my existing NMT set) and patch paint the work I’d done as the Hornby decals and finish are far better than I could apply but I don’t think it would look quite right 

If I can find one cheap, I'm having it! Hornby's HSTs are definitely over-priced, but hey, if the market is ready to pay, then they're going to charge that amount. I'll blame it on the HST being iconic.

17 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Certainly was messy on mine! When I sold it I explained in the listing I thought the previous owner had been messing about with the wiring but from what I have read since I aren't sure that was the case! Didn't know it was limited to 60007 though, and makes me feel better about the potential purchase of a new one (DB 60 or 66 on my shopping list for steel trains).

I am certainly thrilled about Hornby making amends to the Class 60's assembly process. I ordered 60070 about 3-4 months ago but I still haven't received it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I'll blame it on the HST being iconic

Yep, I went out of region for a ScotRail one (given LNER got rid of theirs) because I thought I can't not have a HST!

As it turns out I ended up with the NMT too even though at one point I wasn't going to because of detail omissions. £50 eBay voucher twisted my arm!

17 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I ordered 60070 about 3-4 months ago but I still haven't received it.

I do want another 60, I was hoping for GBRF or DC in this year's catalogue but a DB one for steel may work better than a 66.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/06/2020 at 12:24, miles73128 said:

I’m sure my BP is electrically 3+3. Motor and two trailers. There is a non-conductive coupling in the middle. The motors are not through connected. (It’s in an inaccessible display case, can anybody else confirm)? 

Confirmed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Interesting you say that, the other power car is similar....

However, the other sides are parallel to the lower body.... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

when I say ‘nowt wrong with that’ I meant, it’s obviously wonky on one side but I think I could live with it looking from normal viewing distances, then again I’ve not just paid £220+ for them!