New Hornby HST New Measurement Train

cjs11

13 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Interesting you say that, the other power car is similar....

I'd have thought given the mouldings are the same all of these will have gone through the same printing process until nameplates and numbers come into play

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone take a photo looking down on the side of the loco? As in a 45 degree angle looking down? The usual view point. I don’t believe many of us have layouts 5’ in the air at eye level. 

9 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:
10 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

Just a wild thought...

Has anyone checked the prototype, real things?

;) :jester:

Not 100% sure but in think on one of the power cars it is a little wonky from when I have seen it parked up at Derby.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 17:41, big jim said:

Just run it at scale top speed you’ll never notice! 

Funny how there comments about a wonky decal spoiling the model but (most) people are happy to have incorrect painted out windows on the matching coaches

And missing top headlight (as well as a smaller camera housing)

Edited by newbryford

2 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

Just a wild thought...

Has anyone checked the prototype, real things?

;) :jester:

Oddly enough I did have a look last night as a sanity check!

My conclusion was they are straight, even if questions could be asked about the angle they were applied they are definitely straight IMO.

Not banana shaped (pun intended) like the Hornby ones.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On another note is anybody aware of a pre made marker light mod for these? Either a 3D print or whatever. I might (once I know what H are doing about the shells) have a go at fitting something but would rather look at something already the right shape.

This is the only thing I have found online mentioning a mod

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-43nmt/index.htm

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

On another note is anybody aware of a pre made marker light mod for these? Either a 3D print or whatever. I might (once I know what H are doing about the shells) have a go at fitting something but would rather look at something already the right shape.

This is the only thing I have found online mentioning a mod

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-43nmt/index.htm

Will happily draw one up for you. I did it for the bell on the Class 66 named "Evening Star" and had quite a few people interested. You can drop me a PM if you'd like to discuss it further.

Cheers!

• Like 5

I checked both prototypes on both sides, definitely a printing error on the model.

Have sent a message with photo's to Hornby.

In terms of discussing the coaches we all know there are many errors, and yes we live with them.

In terms of the decal it does stand out....

I'd be interested in a moulding or 3D print of the roof light...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

In terms of discussing the coaches we all know there are many errors, and yes we live with them.

I think it is unfair to call these errors on the coaches. They are planned compromises without which, the coaches would probably be economically unviable. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think in unfair to call these errors on the coaches. They are planned compromises without which, the coaches would probably be economically unviable. 

Roy

Possibly true Roy, I'm actually more than happy with the coaches.....

• Agree 1

On 30/06/2020 at 14:19, big jim said:

I was tempted to get the latest Hornby release coaches and plate the windows properly (as I’ve already done with my existing NMT set) and patch paint the work I’d done as the Hornby decals and finish are far better than I could apply but I don’t think it would look quite right 

12 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

In terms of the decal it does stand out....

They are tampo-printed graphics, not decals. AFAIK one of the only instance where Hornby used a decal in recent times was for the Hitachi demonstrator Class 800 IEP units.

The wave in the text is caused by the tampo-printing pad either slipping or being under a little too much force that it moves away as those pads are a sponge/rubber based.

• Thanks 1

Guest Half-full
18 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think it is unfair to call these errors on the coaches. They are planned compromises without which, the coaches would probably be economically unviable. 

Roy

If you applied that logic to a loco, folk would be calling for heads to roll.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Half-full said:

They did, it was called ‘design clever’ 

Edited by big jim
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Half-full said:

A few examples I can think of where features are compromised because of economic or manufacturing practicalities:

Rods and valve gear not necessarily working in an authentic manner. Probably could be done if we were willing to spend £500 a loco.

Etched nameplates not being provided by some manufacturers.

Lighting not independently controllable for each end etc. when actually it's not expensive nor complex to add.

You could argue the entirety of Hornby's Railroad range is basically the application of these constraints.

So it does happen with locos too IMO. It's the ones where actually a relatively small amount of money would solve it that annoys me, such as the nameplates and the lighting.

The NMT would probably be a fair bit dearer if Hornby tooled all the coaches for it I think that's the point @Roy Langridge is making. As in shells that didn't need the window infills, any mods to the undercarriage and the panto on the OHLE coach.

Having said that I aren't sure how limited a market it would be, given they have tooled the sliding door mk3s you'd think there would be a similar amount interested in a proper NMT rake of carriages and therefore may not be ridiculous money other than the pantograph adding some cost.

• Agree 2

Guest Half-full
40 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

A few examples I can think of where features are compromised because of economic or manufacturing practicalities:

Rods and valve gear not necessarily working in an authentic manner. Probably could be done if we were willing to spend £500 a loco.

Etched nameplates not being provided by some manufacturers.

Lighting not independently controllable for each end etc. when actually it's not expensive nor complex to add.

You could argue the entirety of Hornby's Railroad range is basically the application of these constraints.

So it does happen with locos too IMO. It's the ones where actually a relatively small amount of money would solve it that annoys me, such as the nameplates and the lighting.

The NMT would probably be a fair bit dearer if Hornby tooled all the coaches for it I think that's the point @Roy Langridge is making. As in shells that didn't need the window infills, any mods to the undercarriage and the panto on the OHLE coach.

Having said that I aren't sure how limited a market it would be, given they have tooled the sliding door mk3s you'd think there would be a similar amount interested in a proper NMT rake of carriages and therefore may not be ridiculous money other than the pantograph adding some cost.

Hi Tom,

It does go on with loco's to an extent, but not nearly as much as rolling stock, and there is usually always a backlash!  What Im getting it is, for instance, having a new class 47 & 56 designed, but with the same body.  A case of 'it looks like a 47 or a 56 from a distance, lets not get bogged down by details'.  The NMT coaches, look like yellow coaches but are in no way near accurate, so whilst people have meltdowns over the smallest detail on loco's, they are willing to put any old thing behind it!  Incidently, the latest NMT PC's need a light above the windscreen and a smaller camera box (as has been previously mentioned).

Lights and nameplates are extras and cant really be used in this example, when it comes to using full lighting functions, how many people actually use the full range?  How many actually chip the locos?  Or even run them?  Same with nameplates, how many people actually fit them?

Cant really compare the railroad range though as the were designed in the days of 'that'll do' was standard.

I do think there would be a market for properly tooled and detailed NMT vehicles - not just Mk3's but Mk2's as well, and poss Mk1's?  They are seen country-wide.

when it comes to using full lighting functions, how many people actually use the full range?

Not sure of the numbers but that sort of thing is more important to me than the finer details such as the infamous axle boxes (although said loco does have excellent lighting functions, unlike the locos in the subject of this thread), when on a layout with the loco at speed the lights are one of the most noticeable features (quite befitting of their use on the prototype)

having a new class 47 & 56 designed, but with the same body

Like the RR Northern Belle 57, it was of that ilk although of course not as extreme an example as yours.

Same with nameplates, how many people actually fit them?

People that don't fit them are probably frightened of losing resale value IMO.

They do make a significant difference to the appearance of the loco, probably equivalent to etched grilles etc.

Cant really compare the railroad range though as the were designed in the days of 'that'll do' was standard.

Some were, but they do newly tooled stuff where it is an acknowledgement of compromises between detail and cost, the exact topic of our toing and froing. For example I think the P2, Tornado and 8P (DoG) were both tooled from scratch for RR.

The NMT coaches, look like yellow coaches but are in no way near accurate, so whilst people have meltdowns over the smallest detail on loco's, they are willing to put any old thing behind it!

I do agree with what you're saying here. I have seen lots of complaints about nitty stuff on locos and yet the issues with all NR coaching stock seem to be ignored by some. I don't like the compromises but accept that it's better than nothing and I appreciate it could be the difference between having them or not.

I do think there would be a market for properly tooled and detailed NMT vehicles - not just Mk3's but Mk2's as well, and poss Mk1's?  They are seen country-wide.

I think it would be an interesting market research exercise. MK3 and MK2 the way they fly off the shelves one would think there would be a market. MK1 is probably the least compromised of the three and least used so maybe not.

Incidently, the latest NMT PC's need a light above the windscreen and a smaller camera box

I wasn't aware the camera box was wrong. Is it that the box was done wrong or that they have changed it?

Sorry for the higgledy-piggledy nature of my reply!

• RMweb Premium

What does it look like when looking down at a 45’ angle like most people will on their layouts? I know very few people that model a layout 5’ in the air at eye level, or spend their whole running session bent over to see the loco side on. Just saying it may not look as bad from that angle. Anyone willing to oblige with a photo?

• Agree 1

On 05/07/2020 at 17:56, Hilux5972 said:

What does it look like when looking down at a 45’ angle like most people will on their layouts? I know very few people that model a layout 5’ in the air at eye level, or spend their whole running session bent over to see the loco side on. Just saying it may not look as bad from that angle. Anyone willing to oblige with a photo?

Here is a photo nicked from the Hattons website at around the angle you specify I think. You are right, it doesn’t look quite as bad. 

CAA407F2-0431-41BF-A865-D84B626CF869.jpeg.16bd26d093f182602ea630312666eb8b.jpeg

You are probably right that most people look down on their layouts. Still, I designed my layout so when I am sitting down in front of it everything is at almost eye level.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'd be interested to know how many shops have had returns because of it.

The 60 was glaringly wrong, and even worse it’d be hard to make it right.

The pictures Ive seen so far, i’m seeing it, but not overly concerned, but then it could just be camera angles. Fixing it might be a pain.

I think for me it will come down to seeing it in the flesh, trouble is I dont think there is much chance of that happening for a while.. nearest Shop is 1 hour each way, exhibitions are off till next year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The pictures Ive seen so far, i’m seeing it, but not overly concerned, but then it could just be camera angles. Fixing it might be a pain

Yeah I am undecided. My issue is that if I back out then I have 2 coaches on pre-order with a deposit paid and 3 coaches sat here....

If they said they were putting it right I would be very happy. If they aren't I will be either a dissatisfied customer making do as I want the NMT or I will be a dissatisfied lost customer.

• Agree 1