New Hornby HST New Measurement Train

cjs11

58 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

I'm not convinced the prototype is that straight. It may be an optical illusion because of the capital at the beginning and a 'y' at the end, is unbalanced. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/nmrtrain/ed35c812a  - one of 63 photos

Paul 

I think it's that the italic capital Y looks odd TBH. And if anything it gives the impression it's sloped the opposite way to the model IMO

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Dine some non scientific analysis of the NMT!

as I used to drive it I have managed to get quite a few pics of it from unusual angles etc and using ‘markup’ on the iPhone I have had a look at the decals on the buffered powercars 

first impression is 43014 has a very slightly wonky decal on the same side as the Hornby model as can be seen by placing a line (ruler tool) along the top of the red bit of the network rail logo it intersects the writing about 1/3 of the way up but appears to go out a bit towards the end but nothing massively noticeable 

69BEA29B-6E62-4866-8BF3-A327C11281C8.png.876c53585f3738963dd0420bfc639ed5.png

E6EA0BDC-E5E3-4978-961D-80FD665BD5EF.png.3faf22c9b14ee467ca7998215182f5b9.png

however it would appear that the real vehicles have the ‘Improving your railway’ branding in different places

again going by the red line on the NR logo, an imaginary line dissects ‘Improving’ 

F7DFD47B-057B-426A-8088-BCF317F570FB.png.95db79f06ed2d8afc968ce7cafc4aad5.png

whereas 43013, the imaginary line is level with the bottom of ‘improving’ 

4367201B-92F3-477E-A174-0CBE6F9F7F9F.png.f9f241ece488a3c0a6d1417a716ef7ea.png

which is how Hornby have lined it up on both powercars 

A464BE31-F133-492B-B5C9-B25F22D97D2C.png.7c3a33653cb96f5096132014d9795031.png

74F74365-8F54-4802-83E1-74D966C54051.png.cb6661647bffe48fb3641864554239b3.png

so there we have it, slightly more wonky than the prototype and in the wrong place by a Gnats knacker on one powercar, personally though I do see an issue with the one that’s in the wrong place, it’s hardly noticeable really, I didn’t notice until I started playing about with the prototype pictures, and as I put before I’d be happy to live with the sightly wonky decal as it’s a far better finish than I will ever achieve when I come to re-decal up my NMT which has the old livery powercars 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I think the positioning of the NR logo/text is less of an issue than the wonky application as the eye doesn't pick that out.

I could probably show the power car without context to my partner who's interest in trains is 0, and the wonky writing would be picked out but not the missing marker lights, slight mispositioning of the graphics and larger camera box.

I.e. it's not a case of comparison with prototype (unless the prototype was wonky too) but the fact that to untrained eyes it just looks bad.

But the NR text has a space between the words, doesn't look like it does on the real thing and I think the angle of the RH edge of the NR logo isn't right either.

New measurement train Power car

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

A question was raised near the beginning of this topic regarding twin sound chips and I didn't see a reply - if there was one then apologies for the duplication.

I bought the earlier HST '125' pair that has only one motor unit (I would have preferred two, but there you go). I got a pair of sound chips from YouChoos (other makes available) that were specially prepared for the HST - one goes into the dummy end and the other in the powered end.

You need to set up the chips in making the dummy ended one 'think' it's actually in the power car - it's quite easy:

Making sure that you know which chip is which, place the one for the dummy end in the the powered car and do what you need to do in terms of address. Make it run ensuring all the functions work and when happy, take it out and put into the dummy end. Rinse and repeat for the power car chip giving it a different address. With my system (ECoS) you cannot have two chips with the same address - so once the two cars are on the track, you then make a 'consist' with the two.

On the track, when running, the sounds coming out of the 'front' and 'back' end are not the same - for example - the horn works only in a forward direction in whichever end is going forwards (be it the dummy or the powered car) - so it was worthwhile taking the time setting the chips up correctly.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TomScrut said:

But the NR text has a space between the words, doesn't look like it does on the real thing and I think the angle of the RH edge of the NR logo isn't right either.

With the logo, I think you'll find Hornby have used NR's first logo, rather than the new third logo that appeared around 2017 I think.

The proportions of the logo were changed noticeably between the first and second logos, and then a colour change in the third.

First logo...

sheppard-piling-network-rail-logo.png.21173be1ce8387b384ff555b1bec40a6.png

Second logo...

kisspng-rail-transport-logo-network-rail-train-brand-hybridmail-archives-datagraphic-5b75bf36d7d093.415498661534443318884.jpg.187202f006d9e6561ed22068ff5a8569.jpg

Third, up to date...

495-4951309_transparent-train-monopoly-network-rail-logo-clipart.png.4ddf428f9ed893b358fe5102faf86d69.png

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, CazRail said:

With the logo, I think you'll find Hornby have used NR's first logo, rather than the new third logo that appeared around 2017 I think.

The proportions of the logo were changed noticeably between the first and second logos, and then a colour change in the third.

First logo...

Which is unfortunate since these power cars aren't applicable before the most recent logo came in AFAIK

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Which is unfortunate since these power cars aren't applicable before the most recent logo came in AFAIK

I think the logos were changed the same time as the 'Improving your railway ' branding came on the scene, I could be wrong though. I think only a select few vehicles carried NR's 2nd logo.

They've done the same error with the mk2 coaches also.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the positioning of the NR logo/text is less of an issue than the wonky application as the eye doesn't pick that out.

I could probably show the power car without context to my partner who's interest in trains is 0, and the wonky writing would be picked out but not the missing marker lights, slight mispositioning of the graphics and larger camera box.

I.e. it's not a case of comparison with prototype (unless the prototype was wonky too) but the fact that to untrained eyes it just looks bad.

Theres a substantial difference in shade between that power car and the mk3 behind it ?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Theres a substantial difference in shade between that power car and the mk3 behind it ?

Depends (mostly [*]) on the painting dates being different. Yellow seems to initially fade quickly when new, then level out.

Go back a few years and the PCs were brighter than the trailers. Yet look at the third vehicle - the pantograph car 977993.

Although it would be "correct" to have the PCs and trailers as different shades, I don't doubt that there would be complaints from those buying them, saying that they were wrong.

If there's one difference between models and the prototype, model paint doesn't fade to the same degree (unless you leave it out on a sunny windowsill)

[*] They did have a short period of painting some of the Mk2's in warning panel yellow.......................

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

These are mine, arrived today from Derails (got them cheap on the eBay discount code).

20200714_183417.jpg.3bd4df383474390bd1960adceece28c9.jpg

20200714_183321.jpg.39084168bd1f5f76732591f4dc2f494d.jpg

20200714_183228.jpg.c26d9668ca1b2f4dd5ca2daf56c2e9d1.jpg

20200714_183257.jpg.df9d39f099481e414404e72bc095d31b.jpg

So to me the slope off is fairly obvious, and I am disappointed that this has happened but that's no different to what I thought they'd be like. Would maybe help if I had held the camera level though.

Now I have pics of them I am going to contact Hornby about it although given the circumstances I aren't sure they'll be interested (given I knew of the issue before I confirmed the purchase so cannot send back on these grounds) and from what I can gather on Facebook etc. there isn't any acknowledgement of the problem from the people I have asked.

Haven't had chance for a proper look at them or to run them, it does seem the cameras aren't stuck on properly which may help at least with fitting something more up to date. Another concern is the printing quality on one of the Mark Carne nameplates, although long term I will probably fit the etched plates if I keep them and don't sell them.

Edited by TomScrut
Didn't realise they came with etched plates
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting that.

it is a bit of a groan sigh...

Ive just had the recent GWR HSTs, and the numbers can be removed in seconds without trace... I wonder if the print quality is the same here, and if they could be lifted / replaced ?

On 15/07/2020 at 00:23, adb968008 said:

Thanks for posting that.

it is a bit of a groan sigh...

Ive just had the recent GWR HSTs, and the numbers can be removed in seconds without trace... I wonder if the print quality is the same here, and if they could be lifted / replaced ?

That's thanks to the gloss finish, they come off a treat. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Lochnagar said:

That's thanks to the gloss finish, they come off a treat. 

Thabks for that, though its 1 step forwards... but 2 steps back...

I just looked at Railtecs transfers for the HST... they are there, but .. £29.50 + p&p for the transfers !  Thats going some... though it is the whole train.

I wonder if they’d consider just the replacement power car transfers, ratherthan a whole HST.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/07/2020 at 01:51, adb968008 said:

Thabks for that, though its 1 step forwards... but 2 steps back...

I just looked at Railtecs transfers for the HST... they are there, but .. £29.50 + p&p for the transfers !  Thats going some... though it is the whole train.

I wonder if they’d consider just the replacement power car transfers, ratherthan a whole HST.

£3.50 for just the loco transfers. 

On 18/07/2020 at 07:03, TomScrut said:

I have had word back from Hornby by the way that they are aware of the issue and are looking into it. So I'd say for those of you who want them to sort it out to get in touch with them.

That is great news! I will do the same. I assumed after Derails said that after 3 weeks they hadn't heard anything back that Hornby were trying to sweep the issue under the carpet but this gives us hope.

24 minutes ago, bart2day said:

That is great news! I will do the same. I assumed after Derails said that after 3 weeks they hadn't heard anything back that Hornby were trying to sweep the issue under the carpet but this gives us hope.

Yes but it does need anybody who wants something doing to make them aware I think. A slack handful of people complaining probably aren't going to persuade them that way.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, bart2day said:

TBF, Hornby are pretty good at making good on manufacturing defects.

The Class 31 mazak chassis defect immediately springs to mind, followed more recently with the wrong pattern tender unit being supplied on the Bulleid Pacific, Royal Observer Corps.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

TBF, Hornby are pretty good at making good on manufacturing defects.

The Class 31 mazak chassis defect immediately springs to mind, followed more recently with the wrong pattern tender unit being supplied on the Bulleid Pacific, Royal Observer Corps.

And Bow Fell as the most recent one.

• Like 2