Grandtully Station Building

MartinWales

Planning a small cameo layout set in Tayside and having been enchanted by several photos of a 24/1 and 26's hauling a Thompson coach at Grandtully on the Aberfeldy branch , I am looking to find any shots of the car park/goods shed side of the structure. A protracted search through my library has revealed nothing! 

Can anyone help?

Mods-please feel free to move this to another heading  

• RMweb Premium

The Canmore site has details of 4 pictures of Grandtully but unfortunately they're not digitised yet.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/166987/grandtully-station?display=collection

(States that HES online services are still available at the moment - so you can purchase the images but I'm  not sure if you can preview them. From a quick look, digital images are £9.90 inc. VAT each)

I thought Ernie Brack might have something (or Flickr in general) - there are pics but either from the road bridge or the platform,  none from the other side.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium
  • 4 weeks later...

There is a book all about the Aberfeldy branch line which I think has a couple of shots that might be useful. Coincidently, my older grandson attends Grantully school and the the younger on starts there in August, The school building is quite close to where the station used to be. I'll be quite happy to do a field search for you (and myself) when I get up there from the sunny South. I have been researching Dewers site as a potential project, so that's why I am doubly interested in the branch. Assuming I can get past Hadrian's Wall I hope to travel at the end of this month, subject to the approval of "Queen Nicola".

I will have a search to locate the book, but also in this section are the posts I was involved with about my quest for info. The records office in Edinburgh has lot of maps/photos etc. that you would find useful.

Let me know if I can assist and good luck with your project. My post are in the Distilleries section, page 3.

Tod

Edited by SweenyTod1
advice added

It was the National Library of Scotland where you can find the maps/photos. They are side pictures  with the OS map on the left and a modern aerial photo on the right. Very useful indeed to see where things were historically and areas where you can walk today to see evidence of groundworks etc.

Bing Hybrid, NN 91564 53193 is a reference on the photo.

Tod

I finally "found" the missing book. It's title, " Aberfeldy's  Railway" by C J Stewart, A Highland Railway Society publication,

ISBN: 978 0 954856 8. As suggested by others. the view from the road over bridge shows the station side, but with magnification, a lot of detail can be seen.

Peco do a nice HR signal cabin, one of which can be seen at the yard throat. Using that photo with the map above, you can  see what goes where.

I wish you well with this interesting layout. If I ever get mine into reality, we could join them together? Then there's Ballingluig junction with its two viaducts ( one still survives) and Aberfeldy itself!!!!. Even with missing out the halts in between, what a cracking layout that would be!!!

However, it will stay in my head for the time being...................?

Tod

• 3 weeks later...

The book "Steam Album Volume Three Perthshire" by the Angus Railway Group has an image from the railway bridge. From the description it could very well be the one mentioned above as it clearly shows the station building (end and platform side), the goods yard and the signal box.

There is also a good image on railscot here.

Please share if you build this, it is somewhere i have though about modelling before so it would be very interesting to see someone do it.

• 1 month later...