Repainting Lima GUVs - to prime or not to prime?

20201002_183654.jpg.70ed04dce66478a11d9fa3ee33cccca8.jpg

I have finally got round to re-applying the Newspapers transfers to my latest two Lima GUV conversions.  I used the 'Pool of Klear' method and got results I am happy with. 

You can see where the Klear has been on the sides of the stock but I will give them a light coat of Testors Dullcote tomorrow and then weather them.

I am actually looking forward to getting the airbrush up and running again -  hopefully some time this weekend. 

On the sheet of 'Return to Red Bank ' transfers, there were some other decals of a different design stating 'Return to Longsight CS'. I have read on another thread of someone seeing something similar  (but for Old Oak Common) on the side of an ex-LMS 50ft BG. I happen to have one of those, so I did this...

1601660577625593001878.jpg.c6a82c14f28edeba9480f3608a7b51fd.jpg

So now once everything is weathered, I will have enough Newspapers coaches to make up a six coach train, albeit the addition of a  grubby Blue/Grey BG to give a bit of contrast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 15:09, Enterprisingwestern said:

20201011_211516.jpg.7fdcddd78c6922ce1b312c8106db716e.jpg

Just for completeness, my attempt awaiting weathering.

Apologies to you all for doing it wrong, but it seems to have worked, I must be so lucky!

Mike.

Nice

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a GUV, but a repaint of a Lima 50ft parcel van. No problem painting over the existing body and lining, just a wash with warm soapy water before priming with Hycote plastic grey primer (same as Halfords but 40% less expensive and easier to buy).

IMG_7795.jpg

Prep for surgery to enlarge the windows

IMG_4532b.jpg

Mark out the changes 

IMG_4948.jpg

Time to drill, cut and fill.

IMG_5014.jpg

Primer - Hycote (same formulation as Halford plastic grey primer)

IMG_5034.jpg

Resprayed as a CIE brake parcel van circa 1060s. Keen systems sprung gangways added along with kadee no 148 whisker couplings.

IMG_5169.jpg

Some BR stock lends itself to tweaking into Irish CIE stock, especially 2 axle wagons and stanier coaches

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason my sausage fingers must have pressed the 'Ignore this topic ' button, so I have missed the past few posts.

I do like Irish railways. I had a rugby international weekend in Dublin over 30 years ago and sneaked up to Connolly station a few times when I should have been in the pub :P

Edited by 9C85
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This one got me thinking quite a while back - dug out an old Lima GUV, and added flush glazing, wheels, coupling hooks etc, and a repaint (after paring back the roof ridges) with lining via ruling pen and numbering with HMRS transfers. Didn't happen quite as quick as typing the sentence, but it was a nice distraction from loco building.

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/01/2021 at 23:32, gaf2u said:

This one got me thinking quite a while back - dug out an old Lima GUV, and added flush glazing, wheels, coupling hooks etc, and a repaint (after paring back the roof ridges) with lining via ruling pen and numbering with HMRS transfers. Didn't happen quite as quick as typing the sentence, but it was a nice distraction from loco building.

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

Nice work.  I need one of those 'reverse clamps type things ' to hold my coaches when I paint them.  Is yours a commercial product or home made?

Also, the lining... I keep contemplating getting some coaches repainted into Blue/Grey, but there's that pesky white line around the grey band to think about. Would a lining pen be the answer? And if so, how do you go about it?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Nice work.  I need one of those 'reverse clamps type things ' to hold my coaches when I paint them.  Is yours a commercial product or home made?

A toilet /kitchen roll inner cardboard tube will suffice, and it's a lot cheaper, always a consideration to a Yorkshireman!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

9C85 - the clamp is from Phoenix Precision paints. They do various sizes and I find them invaluable for spray painting everything

The coach was lined with a ruling pen - don't look too closely. I'm still learning (in a big way) and as Ian Rathbone says, practice, practice, practice. The hardest thing on a coach side is how to negotiate over protrusions such as door handles and vents. A lot can be tidies up afterwards with a very fine paintbrush.

Darren

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2021 at 09:57, gaf2u said:

9C85 - the clamp is from Phoenix Precision paints. They do various sizes and I find them invaluable for spray painting everything

The coach was lined with a ruling pen - don't look too closely. I'm still learning (in a big way) and as Ian Rathbone says, practice, practice, practice. The hardest thing on a coach side is how to negotiate over protrusions such as door handles and vents. A lot can be tidies up afterwards with a very fine paintbrush.

Darren

Thanks for the info. 

I keep contemplating getting sime Hornby MkIIs and repainting them Blue/Grey but there's that pesky white line around the grey band

• 10 months later...
On 15/09/2020 at 09:30, Enterprisingwestern said:

20200914_151935.jpg.e678b68b1849df2ad2e92de31f5e15d6.jpg20200914_152354.jpg.47c2359247de981c734dffba1ff3434a.jpg20200913_135206.jpg.e7a5c9cf0aa200ee178d1ff5b7afa71e.jpg

I hold you entirely responsible for setting me off down the road of Lima GUV upgrading!

I've dug a model out of the vault and started to give it a re-work and enclose a couple of pictures to show my route to an upgrade, showing you my method of window frame removal and roof vent stripping and the tools used. I can post wip pictures if you're ok with me cluttering your thread, but understand if not.

None of this is intended as criticism of your excellent work just a different way of doing things.

I use dullcote exclusively and have sprayed over what must be all manufacturers transfers and never had an issue, so I'm at a loss to see where you're having problems. Is it really old dullcote, that might be a cause?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

What do you use to strip the old Lima coaches? I commonly use brake fluid on my models, having success with bachman and Hornby coaches (all with caution). 

However, it didn't really do much on my Lima LMS Cct. 

20210829_184629.jpg.2f0b728a8629f2c282351054545494bc.jpg

This was the result after several days (body only). 

Happily, It wasn't essential to remove entirely and I ended up with something I am rather happy with, having copied Brossard's "extreme" upgrade...

20211011_211215.jpg.87eb6bb59caa0049589118e757f592d5.jpg

20211011_211038.jpg.9fa2eae22476a49347456a8cadeba394.jpg

Incidentally, to reflect on the topic title, I have taken to using halfords red primer for most finishes... 

20211002_105147.jpg.e2884b43231e95a6872e0773ab6baadb.jpg

20210404_103521.jpg.2bebee0f4219080c4a5f38bfa95ba1b2.jpg

I find it helps the coverage when using rail match BR Blue and also precision tinlets which I brush painted the LMS cct with. 

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, westernviscount said:

What do you use to strip the old Lima coaches?

Good old Dot4, but Lima paint is a bit resilient sometimes, (the Brush 2's put up a fight also, see below.), so a repeat dipping is sometimes necessary, and a refresh of the fluid every now and again won't go amiss as it loses it's potency with repeated dipping.

As Lima plastic quality is a bit of a moving feast, I've found in the past that whilst white spirit, methylated spirit etc will get the job done, it sometimes doesn't do the mouldings any favours, something you don't necessarily find out until it is too late.

image.png.b11848405995c07efde00d1a47d8fe0e.png

Brush 2 after first dip, but you get there in the end!

Mike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Good old Dot4, but Lima paint is a bit resilient sometimes, (the Brush 2's put up a fight also, see below.), so a repeat dipping is sometimes necessary, and a refresh of the fluid every now and again won't go amiss as it loses it's potency with repeated dipping.

As Lima plastic quality is a bit of a moving feast, I've found in the past that whilst white spirit, methylated spirit etc will get the job done, it sometimes doesn't do the mouldings any favours, something you don't necessarily find out until it is too late.

image.png.b11848405995c07efde00d1a47d8fe0e.png

Brush 2 after first dip, but you get there in the end!

Mike.

If methylated spirits doesn't shift Lima paint immediately, it will not do so without damaging the plastic - do NOT soak the model overnight.

Put some methylated spirits on a tissue and wipe the paint - if it starts to smear, fine; wash the model in a bath of spirits, using an old toothbrush.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1