Greenwood station and Depot

Georgie!!

Hi all,

some of you may know Greenwood station from the blog I started a while back now but just this morning I discovered the Layout topic thread and so will continue on with layput here instead of it being a blog!!

The layout is OO Gauge set in the present day from 1990's to now so many livered locos will be seen around the depot. Greenwood is the name of a little village just outsite a big city so freight trains with little rakes will be seen having little breaks!! Greenwood station is a one platform station and hopefully class 150, 153, 156 and 158s will be in service.

with the layout being 12ft by 2ft this gives me 8ft by 2ft of modelling space so rather a big depot will be created!! The depot will be called Jessop Yard, again (yup its being reborn!!) and will have two road shed, fueling point, loco wash, loco sidings and wagon sidings. but I am a bit stuck, with the depot being 8ft long should I just have one refueling point or do I add another one or two??

The layout will be desiels and desiels only if a steam train appears it wasnt me biggrin.gif

the layout will have a fiddle Yard that will be 4ft by 2ft and this makes the total length of 12ft by 2ft!! pretty big!! cool.gif biggrin.gif

Below, Hopefully, are a couple of photos of how it looks now:-

above are the baseboards still loads to do

An overall view of the baseboards 8ft only just fits into my bedroom!!

I have some track arriving soon so as soon as track is down I will update againbiggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers

George

Hi all, just a little update really,

me parcel arrived with the track which is Peco code 100 concrete sleepers. I thought I might have had enough with five pieces but I was wrong really I need another five to finish including fiddle yard.

I also was looking at the board I was going to use as a fiddle yard on the left of the layout but then I thought that really 4ft by 2ft was a bit big for one line fiddle yard so iv thought about cutting the board so it will be 4ft by 1ft and the piece that is left place it at the other end where the station is going to go so that trains can stop at the station and then continue on there journey and plus it looks a bit more realistic when a freightliner class 66 pops up with 100 tonne coal hoppers on the back!!

So when this bit of planning was done I soon got bored and so started work on the station. pictures below should appear!!

In the picture above you can just about see the platform and the main station building, apologise for the quality of images me room to dark!angry.gif

you can just see the end of the platform in this pic again apologise for qualityicon_frustrated.gif

Tomorrow I will add more pictures of the station when lighting is better if still the same I will simply take the photos in my garden icon_mrgreen.gif

The station is still not finished a long way yet to go with everything!! I am going to focus on track and track electrics first before any major modelling starts.

Cheers

George

Hi all,

as said better quality pioctures have been taken of the station works they should be below, I have some points arriving through the post so much track work has had to come to a halt until these arrive. I might rig a couple of wires to the track and then to my DCC controller so that I can have a little bit of fun until things start arriving!!

I will leave you all hopefully with some images!?!

The start of the platform is the image above.

Main station building, this still needs signs and a touch up of paint here and there.

and this image is where the station disapears under a bridge that I will try and model with a road on top!!

this is all for now

Cheers

George

Loving your work George, very similar to what I'm doing at the moment. Would suggest two fuelling points if you are going to have loads of locos on the shed. I've only got one, but as there will probably only be three locos on shed at a time thats enough.

Keep us posted with the updates.

Loving your work George, very similar to what I'm doing at the moment. Would suggest two fuelling points if you are going to have loads of locos on the shed. I've only got one, but as there will probably only be three locos on shed at a time thats enough.

Keep us posted with the updates.

Hi wollastonblue

cheers for the the comment still much to do biggrin.gif Ya I think I will go for two fuelling points look more intresting. With the TMD being 8ft long there should be plenty of room for my ever growing fleet of modern diesels.

Cheers

George

Hi all,

got a bit bored this morning. cant do anything until parcels arrive with track and electrics!! I started positioning items like houses onto the boards but not stuck them down as when again parcel arrives the board will be turned upside down and put into all kinds of positions so if anything is stuck down it could get damaged!! And then thats a blow to the walletlaugh.gif rolleyes.gif So pictures below should be the six skaledale houses with a tiny wall and security fencing to help keep those at baybiggrin.gif

Above house with wall and fencing

General view of all houses with tiny wall and security fencing

Birds eye view!!

enjoy photos and happy modelling!!

Cheers

George

Hi all,

Me parcel arrive, well one out of three, but it was the parcel with the new points so hopefully now they should work. managed to get one board (where are all the points are on) all track work done so all I need to do is add wiring then points, havent yet decided what type or weather to use a pull-string-theory thingy.

Below are some more photos, I will now start wiring, well trybiggrin.gif

Cheers

George

Hi all,

Well I have got good news and good news and a tiny bit of bad news ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I will start with the bad news:-

1) my parcel with scenic stuff has been caught up in the post strike, so could be next week before I get that, then I had a look through evening paper and post workers in Huddersfield are walking out tomorrow until monday so my parcel of track will not arrive until next week icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif but it could come earlier icon_lol.gif

2) After i went to the train club last night I was talking to a member and have now realised what he ment, well after the show at holmfirth we where talking about layouts we liked and disliked, and I discoved my layout could be one disliked due to the smallish space and too much track, so I decided to get rid of one sideing that wasnt going to hold much anyway.icon_biggrin.gif

The good news:-

1) A parcel with my electronic stuff arrived which I was dead pleased about as I can do the track electrics now icon_sad.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

2) just about 30 mins ago before logging on here I just finished track electrics and tested it with Class 60066. I was a bit nervous about it but now im really happy as EVERYTHING WORKS!! one line did until I knocked the board and a wire fell out of the terminal block and the baseboard joints need a bit of work as locos get a bit stuck but everything is working!!

I will post piccies tomorrow (better quality with it being light)

Cheers

George

Hiya all,

Now for starters Happy Halloween!! and for seconds I apologise for not taking picturtes today, I was going to then I started doing something else so apologise no photos for tonightsad.gif sad.gif

The layout has finally being bolted together so that now the boards are more closer than ever!! Trains are still running which is a big suprise biggrin.gif I decided to get all the fleet out and whatch them all run up and down, didnt even get bored!! But a couple of locos got failed. my Eddie the engind and freightliner class 57 where ones who got failed because they wouldnt move off the spot they where sat on, and I tested me track and that works fine with other locos. me others where First GBRF 66725 and EWS 66067 who still need chips and my EWS class 92 who needs hardwiring, and the same for my 09, So really I had 11 locos that where my friends today.

hopefully more photos tomorrow!

Does anyone have any plans/drawings of a Depot Building that they dont want. I need to try and scratchbuild a Depot shed for more intrest.

Cheers

George

Hi all

The photos I have promised you all will be shown below.

Layout is doing ok just work now is a little bit slow though and my stock box just keeps on getting lower and lower. I have now run out of wire which means where the shed will be positioned is not live. Track though has been pinned down into position ready to go!!

I just need your help at the moment to all those DCC fans reallybiggrin.gif I have two locos Eddie the engine class 66 and a freightliner class 57 011. Both of them seem to have a problem of setting they being very frustrating as they just will not move I type in the correct loco address but thet just dont move. I know the class 66 has been used on the clubs DCC layout and I only used it today since then, Does the loco need De-addressing from there controller? And the class 57 I just have no idea why it wont move, the lights will come on but when come to make it move it just makes the same noise as a DC loco on DCC anyone out there know whats wrong with these two?? The 66 is my favourite loco and its a real let down how it wont move or even show any signs of life, Please if any of you know what the problem might be please let me know, but I do also think I need to upgrade my DCC controller, shame reallsad.gif please help!!

on the other hand I bit the bullet and did some scratch building, still needs to be finished, but its a little shunting office about the same height and size of the knightwing security gatehouse, I think it looks ok but not too sure!?!smile.gif

Photos:-

66068 entering the Yard with a small rake of TEA tanks

inside of the crewe mess room where loco drivers may just be found!!

Cheers

George

Hi all

over the past couple of days I have been very ill so no work has been done until today!!, well actually being trying to sort out the two locos that wont move!!. I have found out the the problems the eddie locos chip is well... burnt out! I think this was done when placed onto clubs layout and the 57 well the chip works but on the really big board that is wired up to the lights and everything else one of the copper coils that go across the board one has snapped completley in half and so now I need to find someome who knows how to fix them, any suggestions?? and I need to purchase another 21 pin chip aswell as another 3 for the other locos.

When I was Ill I somehow managed to order myself a Class 37!! but this onw isnt a cheap Ex-lima model that I have, this time its a Vi-trains class 37 and what a loco, it is DCC ready but with the chip from the broken 57 I managed to place it in the 37. The loco is the Railfreight Construction Livery called Eisteddfod Genedlaethol and numbered 37429!! smashing for ??39!!biggrin.gif hopefully images below of new arrivel:-

cheers

George

Evening all,

Cheers for the comment Richard

Just a little picture of the Express Models Yard Tower Light that arrived a week ago and just tonight I decided to rig it up and see what it looks like, hopefully picture below. Also I decided to give myself a good kick up the you know where to get cracking with this layout. I have looked at other layouts on this thread and it seems to only take people a week to get track down, points in, ballast down and scenic work starts, and mine is taking FOREVERicon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_e_smile.gif

Tomorrow I will post pics of the scenic work I have started and after that I will make big holes for where the point motors are going to goicon_eek.gif icon_e_sad.gif and then I will show more pics and then hopefully during the week see if I can buy some ballasticon_e_biggrin.gif Well thats the plan anyway, as soon as the holes are made everything else can start.

Enjoy the picture wink.gif

Cheers

George

Cheers for the Comment Danny biggrin.gif It can be extremely stressful aswell when you think you have everything for the job and then you run out of stufficon_frustrated.gif

I enjoyed reading your Blog, well done cracking little layout icon_thumbsup2.gif icon_e_biggrin.gif I really like though your Level crossing great effort icon_thumbsup2.gif

Cheers

George

Morning all,

The scenic pictures as promised of the scenic work started should be below. The layout in places does now look like a railway which is good I supposebiggrin.gif

Does anyone know where I can purchase some crash barriers seen on Dyserth Road Layout?? Looked all over last night on the internet couldnt find any sad.gif

After posting these pictures I suppose I now have to start drilling them point motor holes out, wish I didnt say anything nowbiggrin.gif laugh.gif

Please enjoy photos all comments are welcome!!

Do you think Im using too much security fencing?? should I leave the houses with a small back garden wall, or add a big metal fence aswell not too sureblink.gif blink.gif smile.gif

Cheers Happy Modelling,

George

Evening all,

Cheers for the comment Richard

Just a little picture of the Express Models Yard Tower Light that arrived a week ago and just tonight I decided to rig it up and see what it looks like, hopefully picture below. Also I decided to give myself a good kick up the you know where to get cracking with this layout. I have looked at other layouts on this thread and it seems to only take people a week to get track down, points in, ballast down and scenic work starts, and mine is taking FOREVERicon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_e_smile.gif

Tomorrow I will post pics of the scenic work I have started and after that I will make big holes for where the point motors are going to goicon_eek.gif icon_e_sad.gif and then I will show more pics and then hopefully during the week see if I can buy some ballasticon_e_biggrin.gif Well thats the plan anyway, as soon as the holes are made everything else can start.

Enjoy the picture wink.gif

Cheers

George

Hi George

Tower looks great when did you order it as my 4 have been on order quite a while?

Nik

Afternoon all,

Well its taken me all afternoon to get the point motor holes done, but there donebiggrin.gif

I can now start properly on the scenic stuff until I can afford to actually purchase the point motors (and get lessons on how to do themwink.gif )

I have just checked me emails and a big suprise the new Bachmann class 66 DB Shenker livered loco is out nowohmy.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif So after waiting around for about a year I think its finally arriving I should get it through the post either tomorrow or on Tuesdaybiggrin.gif

I shall leave you all with a pic or two of work this afternoon!!

Cheers

George

Hi George,

Have only just managed to catch up with this thread, and your layout is coming on great.

/Rant Mode on/ With reference to your conversation with the gentleman at your club, I would say ignore him. Back on the old board there was a thread started about TMDs and how boring they are, and how everyone seems to building one. This thread was quite aggressive, and eventually got removed, as there was uproar over his comments. Remember its your model railway and you can do what you want with it. /Rant Mode Off/

As you know I'm doing something similar. I have two sidings off a radius 1 curve, a lot of people would hate them, but I like them, and they provide me with an excuse to buy more rollsing stock.

Keep up the good work, and let the wotsits grind you down.

Cheers

Alex

Hi George,

Have only just managed to catch up with this thread, and your layout is coming on great.

/Rant Mode on/ With reference to your conversation with the gentleman at your club, I would say ignore him. Back on the old board there was a thread started about TMDs and how boring they are, and how everyone seems to building one. This thread was quite aggressive, and eventually got removed, as there was uproar over his comments. Remember its your model railway and you can do what you want with it. /Rant Mode Off/

As you know I'm doing something similar. I have two sidings off a radius 1 curve, a lot of people would hate them, but I like them, and they provide me with an excuse to buy more rollsing stock.

Keep up the good work, and let the wotsits grind you down.

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex

Glad to hear from you cheers for the comment icon_thumbsup2.gif

I do suppose your right because if you do look at real TMDs they have sidings that do go of everywhere like Toton and Bescot yard are massive really.

I have exspecially made sure I have two sidings for wagons just so that I can add on the intrest of shunters and run arounds biggrin.gif

I can though understand what you mean and what the dude said to me, but the siding I removed has ment that I can add things like a shunters office building thing, and more overgrown disused areas to try and create a run-down feel but then with house area and station add a clean and modern like area (if makes senceblink.gif )

Cheers again for the comment there is still a lot to do but with money a bit low things might hit a slow patchsad.gifwink.gif

George

Do you think Im using too much security fencing?? should I leave the houses with a small back garden wall, or add a big metal fence aswell not too sureblink.gif blink.gif smile.gif

What I would do is use both :) Have the walls at the back of the garden, then a small tarmaced pathway, then the security fencing for the railway after a few mill of weeds/undergrowth/grass alongside the path.

That gives you the opportunity to have some extra details of interest - people nattering over back walls, joggers, man walking dog, cyclists, dustbins, etc - all helps to bring the layout "to life" as it were. Also, with 'access' to the back of the houses, there's no reason why you can't have dumped shopping trolleys, old washing machines or whatnot (such as L108 from the "Ten Commandments" range - http://www.cast-in-stone.co.uk/html/home.html go to catalogue and search).

Hi all

Quick note before I run off to college sad.gif I started on more scenic stuff this morning a bag of grassy stuff was looking at me so I shoved it on the layout hopefully to create an overgrown scene but there is still more to add like bushes and wildflowers smile.gif I shall leave you all with a couple of images and after college I shall see what else I can crack on with!!

Cheers

George

Almost forgot, the field that I created was ment to be a park but I used the wrong bag of grass and so turneed it into a field of cows, you proberbly dont get cows so close to a station smile.gif

weeds to the right and behind the shunting office

Weeds to the left of the shunting office biggrin.gif

Evening all,

Big problem to start of with, I went to college this afternoon and I was thinking about Greenwood and decided, wether its just me but I seriously have started to dislike my layoutsad.gif the major thing been money the big layout seems to just take it all but I really dont know what on!! I started looking around the forums (old and new) and have discovered- Hendre Lane Stabling Point, Cement Quay and several more and there space is tiny but ideal!! So my plans for a 16ft layout might just go up in smoke!! I currently have the two main boards that are in pics and one spare board that was going to be chopped in half for fiddle yards but I think I have changed my mind on a 16ft layout it just seems TOO BIG!!

But the other problem is that I have started all the work on it like cutting point motors holes out and done all track electrics and now going to rip it up I really dont know!! I wouldnt mind a little layout just main scenic board 4ft by 2ft and then a fiddle yard any spare wood then can be backscene but I just dont know!! I am now crying for help!! please help on ideas and ideal sizes and inspiration!!

Cheers all,

George

George,

(Entering Boring old man mode)

With the progress you are making - I was not expecting such a crisis of confidence.

I also like the 2 layouts you mentioned and the attention to detail is first class on both. For what it is worth - my opinion would be to continue as you are doing and try to get all the basic "stuff" done so you can "play". and then..........

.........aim for your best quality you can manage by detailing small parts at a time. Why worry about the whole thing - you can only work one bit at a time anyway and - it is not a race. If you update your Topic once a month you will be well up on average.

If you can have enough "Play fun" on a single board - you could try for a sectional design where each board can be finished - but designed to have a bolt on module - this helps with the budget and future proofs things for house moves Etc. Maybe just me but I have no problem with trains running from fairly detailed parts - into bare board and back again.

Good luck with your decision.

Stuart

Archived