SR GBL bogies

arctica

Hi there,

Have a couple of the old Hornby SR GBL luggage vans, and looking at pictures of the real thing, the bogies appear fundamentally wrong- they appear to be BR Mk I bogies on the model, whilst the real thing appear much more basic with what appears to be a step between the axle boxes. Anyone know anything about the originals, or if anyone makes  a model of one?

ATB

David

The original bogies/underframes were from LSWR coaches (the bodies were rebuilt and lengthened onto standard Southern underframes - as per the Hornby models). More details here: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/gbl.html

As well as the Roxey kit, somebody else does a cast version of these LSWR Fox bogies, possibly 247 Developments.

6 hours ago, arctica said:

Hi there,

Have a couple of the old Hornby SR GBL luggage vans, and looking at pictures of the real thing, the bogies appear fundamentally wrong- they appear to be BR Mk I bogies on the model, whilst the real thing appear much more basic with what appears to be a step between the axle boxes. Anyone know anything about the originals, or if anyone makes  a model of one?

ATB

David

The main problem with this model, and one which is virtually impossible to correct, is that the plank joints are raised rather than recessed - a common, money-saving dodge at the time!

John Isherwood.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies- yes I've seen the Bluebell Railway pics. The Roxey kits will probably cost more than I paid for the vans, so I may have to opt for the poor mans option, which looks like buying a set of the Bachmann Bulleid bogies and kitbashing them...

ATB

David