Lockdown scratch building

sidmouth

having just started in O gauge and confronted with a period of lockdown I was keen to add a building to my fledgling layout . With only the materials I had and a frugal budget I started to build a GWR type7/27 signal box . Prototype inspiration being Glyndyfrdwy on the Llangollen Railway and the ex Leaton signal box 

Raw material was a Sainsbury's cereal box and my old balsa from when I modelled seriously in the late 80's and early 90's 

with no real measurements to go on i've built it so I think it looks right , first image is the front panel 

IMG_6687[1].JPG

• Like 3

Guest WM183

That is looking the part! How did you make the window framing?  Little strips of balsa or something else? 

Amanda 

9 hours ago, WM183 said:

That is looking the part! How did you make the window framing?  Little strips of balsa or something else? 

Amanda 

very thin strips of Balsa which I've cut from a bigger sheet . Ideally needed to be a little thinner still, they do look a little clunky , or brass etches ordered which would have helped define the proportions better. I was trying to find dimensions expecting such boxes to be standardised and my books nor a broader search yielded nothing really helpful 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

after a hiatus back onto more work this weekend

stove, desk and cupboard made , internal door painted and fitted . 

guttering fitted around the signal box courtesy of Invertrain and the classic ventilator , courtesy of Phoenix Precision . I have an external stove chimney to fit yet again courtesy of Phoenix Precision

I have a lever frame to make but haven't yet plucked up courage 

IMG_6901[1].JPG

IMG_6903[1].JPG

IMG_6904[1].JPG

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Summer tempered my construction enthusiasm as well as changes to the planned layout . Interior of  the signal box is work in progress but externally it is all complete 

digressing I wanted a grounded wagon body and whilst I was tempted by the slaters kit my new found enthusiasm for cereal packets and an a very wet evening in front of the tele saw me sat armed with lap tray , a Bran Flakes box, Balsa and glue 

Roof needs a little tidying up and may be replaced as has some score lines from another project on one edge .Overall I'm quite pleased with how it looks and for a couple of hours work was rather rewarding 

IMG_7344[1].JPG

IMG_7346[1].JPG

IMG_7345[1].JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

More construction with a goods shed almost completed. Once again cereal packets , balsa strip and I did get slaters plasticard for the brick base and chimney . Modelled on Watlington goods shed although I omitted the gable end window and in the absence of images the weighbridge office window . It did spur me on to buy both the excellent Wild Swan books on the Watlington Branch

IMG_7376[1].JPG

IMG_7375[1].JPG

• Like 2

I should explain what all this building is for 

Having gravitated into o gauge all these buildings will go onto a layout which has been named Ralph Road . It was one my eldest liked and is actually where our allotment is . My interest in all things GWR aligned with the availability of engines and stock at prices that are accessible set the tone for the layout . 

space dictates a classic branch line terminus as the layout sits alongside my 00 gauge circuit and also a my late fathers Hornby O gauge collection. This also has the benefit of controlling the size of loco's and fleet which so far is Dapol and Lionheart products . Temptation to add a Heljan engine has so far been resisted  

As to location I'm probably making the cardinal error in that it is somewhere on the former GWR system and steals inspiration from many classic locations . The goods shed as you have seen is Watlington , Engine shed and huts drawn from Wallingford, Station building is likely to be Heathfield/Chudleigh once I embark on construction. This enables any running to be set in which ever part of the region that takes my fancy . I'll add a picture of the plan later but I like track and sidings so the board is filled with as much as sensible to enable running variety .