Roco HO DCC Conversion

Neils WRX

I thought it was worth adding a simple how to DCC conversion for Roco HO diesels and electrics.

I have converted quite a few Roco Belgian class 62’s Bo-Bo diesel locomotives for my new Belgian depot layout. As well as a couple of Belgian class 20 Co-Co locomotives.

This conversion would also work for German class 215’s and Belgian class 59’s that have similar chassis and circuit board and will I guess will work for other similar models.

First job is remove the electrical components shown on the photo below.

Roco DCC conversion

Then you need to break the electrical strips at 2 points on the circuit board. I just used the edge of a screwdriver to do this.

Roco DCC Conversion

The next job is to solder the decoder in place. I have used 8 pin ESU Lokpilot v4 or 5’s, depending what I had available. I have standardised on ESU chips as I purchased a Lok Programmer a few years ago, but this install should work with any wired decoder.

The wiring is straight forward and gives directional head and tail lights. A picture tells a thousand words.

Roco SNCB 62 DCC conversion

SNCB 6246 - Roco

This is a straightforward installation and will make older models run on DCC layouts.

Stay safe everyone,

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4