Why didn't I think of this?

Only thirty quid. makes my old Hornby Dublo bogie bolster with lateral and transverse spirit levels look very opaque.   Mine has an adjuster for setting gradients.   Maybe they do a de luxe version with that adjustment.  

• RMweb Gold

A good idea, indeed. Did Mike Sharman not have something similar a few decades ago? The bubble level is commonly used in photography when settling a camera on a tripod, and no doubt has many other uses. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had one of the eight wheel versions for years together with a caravan levelling bubble and it is very useful. Recommended.

Interesting update with the six wheel bogie and with the level included.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Just noticed that the spec has changed from when I bought mine.

58 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A good idea, indeed. Did Mike Sharman not have something similar a few decades ago? The bubble level is commonly used in photography when settling a camera on a tripod, and no doubt has many other uses. 

There was a neat T shape twin level available too, for the same purpose. More sensitive as the two perpendicular levels are longer.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

Just curious about gradients ?

You could put some packing between one bogie and the frame to give the gradient you want.   My home brew has/had the longitudinal spirit level adjustable, but or course just when I wanted to take a photo it goes walkabout. 

At only £30 you could have several set at various gradients if you had a very different modelling budget to mine.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

These Acrylic wagons have been around for years, both as a ready made item, or as a homemade DIY job.

Quite probably as the idea is obvious (20/20 hindsight!), but it's the first time I've seen it.

• Like 1

Hi all,

In the past I have used one of these. Works just as well and only costs £1.20. Bought mine for levelling up my caravan 30 years ago and realised that it would also work on my railway.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1466754-2-way-mini-level?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_adgroup=&utm_campaign=&ppc_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwlZf3BRABEiwA8Q0qqzo-8XVoY0jPMEOSrVMV4U_hif9V8SX2Z5UjumpO0tUXrBKJ-_71ixoC4joQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

silver line spirit level.jpg

• Like 1