I have actually got one of those circular levels (for levelling record playing turntables) and had never thought of using it for track laying-- Duh!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

It must be a con; if you look carefully you should be able to see through it...

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Only thirty quid. makes my old Hornby Dublo bogie bolster with lateral and transverse spirit levels look very opaque.   Mine has an adjuster for setting gradients.   Maybe they do a de luxe version with that adjustment.  

Fantastic and yes why has this not been openly thought of before? You would have thought someone would have thought of this using a piece of clear Perspex and a couple of Ratio bogies, should come to about a fiver. Nice.

A good idea, indeed. Did Mike Sharman not have something similar a few decades ago? The bubble level is commonly used in photography when settling a camera on a tripod, and no doubt has many other uses. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've had one of the eight wheel versions for years together with a caravan levelling bubble and it is very useful. Recommended.

Interesting update with the six wheel bogie and with the level included.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Just noticed that the spec has changed from when I bought mine.

58 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A good idea, indeed. Did Mike Sharman not have something similar a few decades ago? The bubble level is commonly used in photography when settling a camera on a tripod, and no doubt has many other uses. 

There was a neat T shape twin level available too, for the same purpose. More sensitive as the two perpendicular levels are longer.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

Just curious about gradients ?

You could put some packing between one bogie and the frame to give the gradient you want.   My home brew has/had the longitudinal spirit level adjustable, but or course just when I wanted to take a photo it goes walkabout. 

At only £30 you could have several set at various gradients if you had a very different modelling budget to mine.

• Friendly/supportive 1

It's all to do with Cant Deficiency. As British Railways used to say, "You can't have enough Cant!

15 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

It's all to do with Cant Deficiency. As British Railways used to say, "You can't have enough Cant!

spacer.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

And just what, exactly, is wrong with "kinky/bumpy" trackwork, then?? :nono: :tease: :locomotive:   :jester:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

These Acrylic wagons have been around for years, both as a ready made item, or as a homemade DIY job.

10 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

These Acrylic wagons have been around for years, both as a ready made item, or as a homemade DIY job.

Quite probably as the idea is obvious (20/20 hindsight!), but it's the first time I've seen it.

• Like 1

Hi all,

In the past I have used one of these. Works just as well and only costs £1.20. Bought mine for levelling up my caravan 30 years ago and realised that it would also work on my railway.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1466754-2-way-mini-level?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_adgroup=&utm_campaign=&ppc_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwlZf3BRABEiwA8Q0qqzo-8XVoY0jPMEOSrVMV4U_hif9V8SX2Z5UjumpO0tUXrBKJ-_71ixoC4joQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

silver line spirit level.jpg

• Like 1