Newtown Station Travel not re-opening after the pandemic

• RMweb Premium

Gareth has posted on his Facebook page that Newtown Station Travel, which is based at the station and normally provides a six day a week ticket office and other facilities, will not be re-opening as he does not see the business being viable.

I am not sure if this leaves any manned ticket offices in Powys, though Welshpool Tourist Information Office sells tickets when open. But is this the sign of things to come on a larger scale?

A side effect of this will be loss of the toilets on the station, which are inside the building.

Gareth and Peter before him have provided a really excellent service over the years since I have lived in Newtown, and I know that people have come from miles around for their advice and friendly service.

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 4

That's very sad.  It's exactly the kind of service rural areas like mid-Powys need.  Not everyone has access to journey planners and ticketing on line, especially in rural areas where broadband provision can be slower than pigeon post, plus older people need a face to talk to and who can ask the right questions to make sure what exactly the individual needs.

In any case, on line ticket and journey planners are notoriously inflexible, a person with knowledge of the arcane British ticketing system can often come up with innovative options that save money and make the ticket buyer feel good about rail travel.  I've had many examples where a ticket office clerk has saved me a few pounds by suggesting alternative ticket options the ticket machine or on line options were not programmed to do, which is why I'm strongly in favour of staffed stations.

Is there anyone else in the community or group who could take on the service, perhaps on a voluntary basis with some grant aid?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Gareth has posted on his Facebook page that Newtown Station Travel, which is based at the station and normally provides a six day a week ticket office and other facilities, will not be re-opening as he does not see the business being viable.

I am not sure if this leaves any manned ticket offices in Powys, though Welshpool Tourist Information Office sells tickets when open. But is this the sign of things to come on a larger scale?

A side effect of this will be loss of the toilets on the station, which are inside the building.

Gareth and Peter before him have provided a really excellent service over the years since I have lived in Newtown, and I know that people have come from miles around for their advice and friendly service.

Jonathan

:'(