MTH Closing Down

mdvle

Nothing yet on the MTH site but the letter has been posted on numerous forums at this point, and MTH did sell the building they work out of recently.

Dear Loyal M.T.H. Customers,

June 8, 2020 - First, on behalf of M.T.H. Electric Trains, I want to thank you for the support and encouragement you have shown my company over our 40-year journey. From humble beginnings and a lot of hard work, we were able to build one of the world's largest model train manufacturers - one unquestionably buoyed by your unwavering support.

In particular, I am proud that M.T.H. has released more models than any train manufacturer in the history of our hobby. The variety, quality, and infusion of technology throughout our offerings allowed M.T.H. Electric Trains to help bring enjoyment to all who share our wonderful hobby.

It is, therefore, with mixed emotions that I tell you I have decided to retire in 2021 and close the business. The last two M.T.H. catalogs, our 2020 Volume 2 O Gauge catalog, and our 2020 HO catalog and all non-delivered items from our 2020 Volume 1 O Gauge catalog, 2020 Ready-to-Run Train Set catalog, 2019-2020 S Gauge catalog, and 2019-2020 G Gauge catalog will feature the last products produced by M.T.H. Electric Trains.

The new items featured in all these catalogs will be available beginning Summer 2020 through April 2021 and will carry our limited one-year warranty supported by our Authorized Service Center network and the M.T.H. Service Department. Upon our closing in May 2021, our ASC network will provide warranty coverage through April 2022. A list of M.T.H. Authorized Service Centers is available on the M.T.H. website and will be updated as M.T.H. Authorized Retailers join the program over the coming months.

M.T.H. Electric Trains would not have enjoyed success without the support of the M.T.H. Authorized Retailer network. While traditional retail has changed significantly over the past decade, the independent hobby shop has been and continues to be the most important cog in our distribution chain. I truly appreciate the support and friendship these shops have shown M.T.H. I wish all of them good luck and prosperity in the years to come.

Finally, I want to thank all of my employees for their hard work over the years. Most of them have been with me for decades and their loyalty and talents were paramount to our success.

With thousands of tools and molds and a wealth of intellectual property, a new model railroading company may arise from my former company as I entertain various options and buyers. One scenario is a new company organized and owned by members of my current staff. Their decades of experience, work ethic, and creative talent will ensure success regardless of who owns the assets while providing a welcome bridge between the past 40 years and the future.

The remainder of my time will be busy as we clear out inventory and other miscellaneous items accumulated over the past 40 years. As that process evolves, we’ll be offering consumer and retailer purchase opportunities

Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your loyal support for all these years.

Mike Wolf, President

M.T.H. Electric Trains

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 09/06/2020 at 17:02, mdvle said:

Edit: this quote is from the MTH Announcement, not the OP..

"In particular, I am proud that M.T.H. has released more models than any train manufacturer in the history of our hobby."

Really?? :scratchhead: In just 40 years?? Lionel have been going, how long? Since 1900 according to a quick 'google'. Then across The Pond we have companys like Hornby, who have been manufacturing trains since 1920.

I'd heard that this Mike Wolf has an ego & a half!! :rolleyes::mosking:

I do have a few MTH freight cars, all of which I've had to convert to 2-rail. I don't think I've ever seen an MTH O diesel 'in the flesh' so to speak; I find the descriptions on-line quite baffling as to what is available with replacement 2-rail wheelsets, but still has 3-rail swing pilots, and what are 'proper' 2-rail locos with fixed pilots and full-depth corner handrails.

The late Dave Barclay (regular at the early TVNAM Shows) bought an MTH 2-rail GP40, but I never got to see it (or Dave) before his untimely death from cancer, so I have no idea what happened to it afterwards.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

I wonder how many conversations Mike Wolf had about selling the company whole - brand name, different scales covering different prototypes, different ranges covering different markets.  Anyway, if he's sold the building, told us there'll be closing down sales activities and got some of his guys interested in maintaining DCS, a potentially dead-end system, he's clearly got everything he needs for a comfortable retirement already.

Maybe it'll give Atlas the prod we need them to get for their O-scale to expand.

Jason

• Like 1

well,  MTH 2-rail locomotives are ok. Own about 31of them and I like also the DCS, very simple to understand and wireless 

here some pics of some of my locomotives

www.flickr.com/photos/87793355@N08/albums/72157644720802562

Paul

Edited by milepost48