Bosnport - A N Gauge South Coast based layout built on the top bunk of a bunk bed!

JimSan

Finally started adding lighting to the layout, starting with the station area since I've been wanting to get that all sorted for a while. Was thinking about painting the lamp posts for the platforms, but a) Wasn't too sure about how they'd turn out and b) Forgot to have a try with a spare lamp
But still thinking they look quite nice, just need to add some posters and bits and bobs around the platforms to make them more lived in!

Do still need to wire them all together, but need more wire connectors so I don't have to try and solder above my bed!
Next will be lighting up the suburbs

Edited by JimSan

• 1 month later...

Adding more lights to the layout, this time working on the suburbs since it seemed easier than the town section, but have tested the house lights and they work as planned, the lamp posts not yes as would like to wire them all together and then to a resistor first before testing to reduce chance of them bursting, but they should work as intended!
Last bits to light up is just the town, where I'm just waiting on more wired LEDs so I don't have to do it myself, though after that I'd like to get some signals placed in, might not be completely exact in how they should be but I'd want some sort of representation of 3-colour light signals for the layout, just need to source a few of them where I can!

• 1 month later...

Finally added lights to the town area, and also decided to redo the trolleybus lamp posts since I wasn't fully happy with them, now they do look that much better, just need to "wire" them together along with all the wiring for the lights themselves!
Which I might do over this week, as other than uploading videos and rendering stuff, will be taking a break while the weather is too warm for me, luckily do have some videos all lined up anyway so will give me time to have the wiring done!

• 2 months later...

Finally added the backscene! Was a bit of an issue with one corner... which I'll repair in time, but am quite pleased with how it turned out, main things to finish off really is the house I need to repair, adding a back to the towerblock and sorting out the gap between the backscene and the layout, which around most of the layout, would just be more grass and bushes, but in the odd few spots I need to add more road, but should be alright.

Just need to find some spare time, perhaps over the Xmas period after some easier videos heh

• 4 weeks later...

Not too much done to the layout for this video, but I did really want to sort out the points so they'd be more reliable, so pretty much stripped out some of the old wiring, and connected up some latching relays. Now all the frogs (except the ones I've not finished wiring) are properly powered and shouldn't have any issues.

Though I can't change the points as of yet, the way it is now should mean that wiring all the control switches shouldn't be all that hard, though will come another time when I've fully worked that out!
Plus gave me some practice in reworking Minstowe Road's wiring too!

• 4 weeks later...

Got round to adding some dynamic scenery to the layout, in the form of some signals, only the simple automatic ones for when a train passes by, and to be fair I'm not 100% sure they are in the right place (basing it off my signally knowledge of the game Transport Tycoon heh), but still looks good to me!
Do want to work on adding the station signals and some directional ones for entering into the station, but these would be bit more complicated than I can work out at the moment, but will be sorted sometime!

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly a video for adding more detail, though not all that pleased with how the weathering on the track turned out, will sort that out another time, but added some weathering to the houses, fixed the grass to the backscene (though did pick the wrong colour!) and just tidied things up a little.

Also added a little feature to my layout to remember a good friend of mine, it's not much but he always enjoyed my channel and my layout so wanted to add him somewhere on the layout in some way!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Once more working on the layout, just tidying things up some more and fixing the gap between the backscene and the layout, does make a slight edge with the grass, but I'd rather have that than the large gap down the length of it!

• 4 weeks later...

This update was mostly just to repair the damaged roof of the houses at the back when I had to (forcibly) put the backscene in, and while not 100% perfect, it at least looks the part and covers up the gaps quite nicely, also done a bit of weathering as well, though did have to tone down some on the tower block afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly just continuing round the layout adding more detail really, this time working on the High street and tidying up spots, along with finally adding the trollybus wires for the trolleybus, do think there's some more bits which I can add, however I'll need to have another think of what would work well!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing on with my improvements to the scenery, a touch of weathering here, a couple extra signs over there along with some more greenery when no one is looking!
Today it was the station's turn for some extra work done to it, leaving only the goods yard to remain.

• 1 month later...

Just finishing off the weathering work on the layout along with tidying up the gap between the backscene and the layout too.
Also spruced up the decor by adding a few extra little bit of scenery items which I had been meaning to add the first time round, so got some little track fencing and added a water crane, quite sure the engines would appreciate that, though did forget the loading gauge and coal loading area, but will be added when I can!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just neatening up the layout with some nice panelling on the front, starting to look much more like a model railway layout than a bunkbed.
Also seems that I've forgotten to put some music for the time-lapse... oh well, bit late to fix it now, just hum a nice tune during that bit heh

But for the scenery and all that lot, I'm close to being complete, maybe just need the one more pass over for some tidying up, though do know there'll always be little bits here and there to add later on!

• 2 months later...

Adding some final little details to the layout, and tidying off some loose ends where I can really this time, did attempt to make some more platform bits but that didn't quite go to plan but will have another go some other time!

Have added (after recording) some paper spine clip things as suggested by Newportnobby, does help keep the forward backscene more stable and also helps prevent me from damaging both myself and the layout heh
Do also want to add some railings against the front panelling, but again got them after the recording was done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally gotten all my points all wired up, well mostly, one of them is being annoying but will soon have it sorted.
Do need to double check all the latching relays to make sure they all work, though with a quick test it seems that everything is more or less working as they should!

• 4 weeks later...

Not really much this month, mostly just tidying things away so I don't have to stare at wires and what-not while I'm trying to go to bed, though does also keep small fingers away from anything electrical as well!
Also yes I didn't end up changing the wires as I planned, figured to leave them alone since they work as intended, though might still change them at a later date!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted an update, but now adding in some minor changes to the layout to represent different time period for the station!
Would love to add more bits which change, but I've only got so much space to keep the spare pieces, that and I've glued down the other bits already heh

• 4 weeks later...

Time to jump into the 1980s now with yet another canopy, some more swapped out buildings and then forgetting what else to add!
But the main changes here is the new glass canopy, which didn't turn out as nice as I planned, I'll prob remake this into a less curved and more triangular shaped one in the future which will be a lot easier to add the glazing to!
Next change is the Goods Shed into a Diesel service depot, and I did struggle to think of something for the old engine shed till I realised it's about the right shape for a carriage/loco washing station, so turned it into one of them.

Think that's pretty much it really for things to add to the layout, other than some small bits, so prob not many episodes left till I move onto a new layout (which I'm already planning), next one will be bit more "for fun" till I've saved up enough to convert the attic into a much larger layout.