Djh britannia

Hi

Can anyone help me is the djh britannia a good kit does it represent a britannia well? They don't seem to make them anymore but I'm trying to track one down. Does anyone have a picture of there's? 

Kind regards Neil 

Tony Wright seems to like them. He was talking about them a few weeks ago in his Wright Writes thread.

As for availability. I have a feeling they aren't totally discontinued. Just that they probably aren't on the radar for another batch in the near future. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.

Some of the other kits have disappeared from the webpage and reappeared a year or so later. The LBSC C2X and HR Jones Goods for example.

However if you want one. Keep checking places like eBay and model railway exhibitions when they start again. They do turn up and sometimes you get a bargain. I got an untouched BR 4MT 2-6-4T a couple of years ago for about £50 with a full set of Romford wheels. Still unbuilt though.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I haven't built a DJH Brit, but I have built the Clan (pre Hornby.    Fundamentally it is a good kit. 

I replaced the DJH chassis with a Comet equivalent. Not such a smart move as the Comet chassis was designed for the Hornby RTR Brit so it needed quite a lot of work to fit. 

I think it is fair to say that the fidelity below the footplate isn't great, nor are the twiddly bits, eg pipework and various small components- sorry  I don't know what they are called. 

But overall the dimensions are spot on and the Clan certainly made up to a nice model. 

Steve

• RMweb Gold
On 10/06/2020 at 03:47, B15nac said:

Hi

Can anyone help me is the djh britannia a good kit does it represent a britannia well? They don't seem to make them anymore but I'm trying to track one down. Does anyone have a picture of there's? 

Kind regards Neil 

Hi Neil, If you decide to go ahead with this project PM me, I may be able to help with the kit.

Rgds....Mike

Two 4mm kits have been produced by DJH:

K41 with BR1/1A tender - 70000 to 44

K57 with BR1D tender - 70045 to 54

There is an in depth article by Allan Sibley about the prototype variations and building a highly detailed P4 model using the DJH kit, in the first Model Railway Journal Compendium:

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=faunRKW3eUN,33Z6x1vzXud,1,E_1497963026_1:2:10&bq=author%3Dbarlow%20bob%26title%3Dmodel%20railway%20journal%20compendium

or on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Journal-Compendium/124220887733?hash=item1cec2452b5:g:CX8AAOSwiGBeySzA

The author's conclusions are:

"..... the (P4) model will quite happily negotiate curves down to 3ft6ins radius and has sufficient adhesion to haul at least eight Mk1 coaches, its maximum train length on the current layout..."

"..... For the most part it is extremely good, being dimentionally accurate, well-designed and nicely finished...."

However, he clearly identifies that the kit has some detail deficiencies, and shows how to make a better model.

Hi, just looked at your request regarding a DJH Brittania kit.

Are you looking for a  completed loco or the kit itself? I have the K57 kit that came to me 80% built but minus a few pieces.

It would require a motor and gears, tender wheels and a pony truck.

The loco body with all the plumbing has been built, smoke deflectors are built but not attached, tender ladder is built but not attached ( both the items are in a bag ).

The tender and chassis are built but separate.

The loco chassis, cylinders and coupling rods etc are all assembled, but as I said, it`s missing the motor and middle driving wheel ( Romford I think ).

None of the above has been painted.

It may be completely not what you are looking for but as a nearly completed kit it might be. If it`s any use to you ,fine. I don`t want anything for it. I just won`t have the time to complete the build etc so I`d be pleased if it went to someone who could.

Regards,

Jim.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...