MacDuff Station : Recommendations

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I am doing some research into the Railways around Mac Duff, with a focus on Mac Duff station itself.  I have seen a few books on the subject advertised, can anyone recommend any in particular, especially  if any contain plans or diagrams of the station and associated buildings at Mac Duff its self?

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Hi WG

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry the NLS site? I ve been through the maps on the "Old Maps" web site, which has been useful.

There is one book in particular l ve seen by David Ross called "The Great North of Scotland Railway". It has a great photo of MacDuff on the cover, could that be the one you are thinking of?

Cheers 

Bob C

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Sorry the NLS site? I ve been through the maps on the "Old Maps" web site, which has been useful.

National Library Scotland - https://maps.nls.uk similar to Old Maps but includes older stuff and more of it AFAIK, although I've never worked out where to find what...

Ralf

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ralf said:

National Library Scotland - https://maps.nls.uk similar to Old Maps but includes older stuff and more of it AFAIK, although I've never worked out where to find what...

Ralf

Hi Ralf

Many thanks for the link, l ll see what l can find.........

Much appreciated

Bob C

Hi Bob,

The Great North of Scotland Railway Association publishes a good book on the Macduff branch which, at £8.50, should be your starting point. It has a number of good photos. More details here. All the GNSRA books are well researched.

The NLS map library site already mentioned is your best source for maps. The 1929 1:2500 survey is generally accurate for track and building positions but has two layout errors: the loco release crossover from the main platform is missing and the goods shed siding led off the platform loop, not the yard siding. These errors are obvious from photos. Unfortunately, by the time the survey was revised and 1:1250 maps published in the 1960s, the track had been lifted so they don’t add much.

If you are a member of a Scottish line society you should be able to get online access to the FSLS photo archive which includes the GNSRA collection. It contains many excellent detail photos of structures at Macduff and is more or less essential if you want to make an accurate model. There are few drawings of Macduff layout or structures in public archives and what exists is of minor details only. However the two main structures -the loco shed and the station offices/train shed/goods shed complex - are still standing in relatively unchanged condition and can (if permitted by the usually very helpful owners, Seaway Group) be visited and measured up. I have not been there since the fishing net business which previously used the buildings and station yard was replaced by a cafe and shop, “The Platform”, but the new business seems very aware of the building’s history and well worth a visit.

I am slowly trying to build Macduff in 2mm finescale but have not progressed beyond baseboards and Templot yet (and have taken longer to do that than it took the Victorians to build the whole line). I have gathered a fair amount of information though. If you are seriously interested in modelling the station let me know by PM and maybe I can help with details.

Hope that’s of some interest and good luck with your model if you decide to make one.

regards

Graham

Edited by Graham R
Added link
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I d like to say a very big thank you to everyone who chipped in to help with this thread.

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for your contributions. you ve provided some great links etc, and pointed me in he right direction for further research.

I am indebted to you all

Cheers

Bob C 

• 8 months later...