Premade Baseboards

Satisfied customer of Tim Horn here. He can supply laser cut kits or ready made. Sometimes slow to respond due to workload (I believe there's just him and his Dad) but customer service second to none otherwise. N.B. Usual disclaimer.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I've been very happy with Grange & Hodder and Scale Model Scenery boards.

I previously made my own but did get birch plywood cut to order by a timber merchant.

+1 from me for Grainge and Hodder. First choice for any boards I need these days. 

https://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk

Roy

• Like 1

I've ordered from Tim Horn on two occasions and have been satisfied with what has been delivered.  His baseboards are certainly easier to assemble that trying to build your own and better quality plywood than you'll get from B&Q.

Unfortunately Tim's website is down at the moment (https://tim-horn.co.uk/) and I note on his Facebook page (https://en-gb.facebook.com/timhornlasercutting/) that he isn't taking any new orders for the next few months until he is able to clear a backlog of orders.  Therefore, if you're in a hurry, it looks like you'll have to try someone else and probably be prepared to wait.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are in the south east I can recommend hmbaseboards in Woodchurch, Kent: http://hmbaseboards.co.uk/. He supplies frames, legs and tops for assembly, which is very straightforward. 

I know he is VERY busy right now so it may take 3-4 weeks for him to supply and does send out via courier if you can't collect.

No connection, other than being a satisfied customer.

Steve

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2020 at 20:48, ITG said:

I’m waiting for a delivery right now from WhiteRose baseboards. Can’t yet comment on product but very helpful people.

Sorry to say l ve had a totally different experience with WhiteRose, in that l ordered a set of  two flat pack base boards from these folks on the 20th May 2021, their site states that they endeavour to supply flat pack items within two weeks of ordering.

At the end of the two weeks l contacted them to find out the status of the order, to be told they were running behind on orders, and it would be another week before delivery, and to expect the delivery on the 10th June 2021  Fair do's these things happen. Forward one week, no email conformation so l rang Whiterose and spoke to "Dave"  I asked if he could confirm if the boards were to be delivered today, but he was unable to confirm saying he'd ring me back.

As promised "Dave" rang me back stating that the order was awaiting packing materials from there suppliers and he said he would ring me once the packing arrived. I asked when l could expect the delivery and he stated  in a condescending tone "when the packing arrives"  No apology, no estimation as to possibly when to expect the boards, just the assumption that you ll get it  when you get it. Needless to say l have cancelled the order at that point

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

the order was awaiting packing materials from there suppliers and he said he would ring me once the packing arrived. I asked when l could expect the delivery and he stated  in a condescending tone "when the packing arrives"

Many suppliers are facing problems in sourcing packaging materials. Even Amazon are having to rationalise some packaging.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Many suppliers are facing problems in sourcing packaging materials. Even Amazon are having to rationalise some packaging.

Totally understand Andy, if the company had been more open in communication, eg telling me that they could not deliver as promised on either agreed dates due to this or even offered an apology when l contacted them, l would have been more understanding. However none of the above happened and to top it off the attitude to their customer when he made enquires did not engender much in the way of patience.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Sorry to say l ve had a totally different experience with WhiteRose, in that l ordered a set of  two flat pack base boards from these folks on the 20th May 2021, their site states that they endeavour to supply flat pack items within two weeks of ordering.

At the end of the two weeks l contacted them to find out the status of the order, to be told they were running behind on orders, and it would be another week before delivery, and to expect the delivery on the 10th June 2021  Fair do's these things happen. Forward one week, no email conformation so l rang Whiterose and spoke to "Dave"  I asked if he could confirm if the boards were to be delivered today, but he was unable to confirm saying he'd ring me back.

As promised "Dave" rang me back stating that the order was awaiting packing materials from there suppliers and he said he would ring me once the packing arrived. I asked when l could expect the delivery and he stated  in a condescending tone "when the packing arrives"  No apology, no estimation as to possibly when to expect the boards, just the assumption that you ll get it  when you get it. Needless to say l have cancelled the order at that point

Update: I have just been contacted by a manager from WhiteRose.  He apologised for the way the member of staff had spoken to me earlier today, sighting personal reasons behind  his behaviour. He explained that the packing materials had now arrived and that my baseboards, if l still wished would be dispatched tomorrow by him personally, or if l still wished l refund he would deal with it himself too.

This act has restored my faith in this company, and l would now consider using them again if the need arose 

Bob C

• Like 3

HMBaseboards at Woodchurch produce reasonable baseboards & AFAIK Great Eastern Models in Norwich also produce baseboards.

Why people use the DIY places is beyound me (unless it is in the evening or weekends) - local timber merchants will be cheaper & usually a better product - most of them allow a couple of cuts per board & 50p per extra cut.

26 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

HMBaseboards at Woodchurch produce reasonable baseboards ...

Ermmmm ... define "reasonable"?   :scratchhead:

Edited by spikey
emoji edit

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Maybe you should ask someone else - I'm not here for that.

Before I joined RMW a couple of existing members warned me that there are lots of people on here who have nothing better to do that be pedantic - they were right.

12 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Maybe you should ask someone else - I'm not here for that.

Before I joined RMW a couple of existing members warned me that there are lots of people on here who have nothing better to do that be pedantic - they were right.

I'm sorry if you chose to be miffed by my response, but I tend to credit most people with a sense of humour.

14 hours ago, spikey said:

To be honest, I thought it was a 'reasonable' question.  :D  Are the baseboards of reasonable quality, are they reasonably priced, or reasonable value for money.  There again, I may be just be one of the pedants with an unreasonable attitude. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spikey said:

I'm sorry if you chose to be miffed by my response, but I tend to credit most people with a sense of humour.

I do have a GSOH, I was more "miffed" by the lack of courtesy - i.e. the use of the word "please".

You see, I can be as petty as anyone else on here.

Please feel free to have the last word.

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

To be honest, I thought it was a 'reasonable' question.  :D  Are the baseboards of reasonable quality, are they reasonably priced, or reasonable value for money.  There again, I may be just be one of the pedants with an unreasonable attitude. :lol:

"Reasonable" as in all aspects - if they had any particular quality/price/value I would have stated that.

Clearly, you have to be very specific on here or someone with plenty of time on their hands will be along with spurious comments.

A great shame - there is a huge amount of knowledge & experience on here. Pity it's spoilt but unessary comments & pickyness.

I have a "resonable" amount to contribute, maybe I won't bother in future.

On 09/06/2020 at 20:29, Southern Geordie said:

Evening,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I am currently embarking on my first layout and wanted to know if there were any recommendations for purchasing a ready made baseboard as I can't get any wood cut at B&Q at present.

Many Thanks

David 

I've used Grainge and Hodder and they make nice modular baseboard kits.

However if you know what you want in birch ply then take a look at Woodshop direct (www.woodshopdirect.co.uk). They will supply birch ply cut to your exact requirements.