IXO O gauge vehicles to be available in the UK

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Good news, looks like Hattons are going to be stocking some of the IXO range of models which will hopefully save a few pounds on postage compared to buying them from the continent, they also look to be priced keenly as well.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=827

I didnt pay anything like that for a Hachette version of the bus and the gas version of Ford Thames but hope these sell as would be good to have the range expanded to cover a few other staple lorries.

The BR Ford Thames is surprisingly modelled left hand drive, but should be quite easy to convert to right hand drive. Ive converted a couple of the older Gas versions (which were actually right hand drive) to radio control, and the second one to a working tipper, and they're very reasonable models. Hopefully Hattons/Ixo will expand the available range.

1 hour ago, Simond said:

I'm struggling to imagine how many 0 gauge modellers will need a Dublin Airport Fire Service Landrover Discovery, but, hey, they're nice models!

Simon

I have previously managed to remove the printing on their models with T Cut and a cotton bud so could be turned into a Civilian version. 

• Like 1

I wonder if the market for these is mostly collectors with us modellers being a secondary consideration.  (I am mystified why Corgi thought 1/50 was a good scale.  There is no railway model scale to match.)

John

6 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Handy timing .I sculpting a bus crew in 1/43 at present .It will be the same as Dart Castings 4 mm set,  standing idly by at the cemetery gates :D

Waiting to load inmates for a day out?

OK, where's my coat?

John

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brossard said:

I wonder if the market for these is mostly collectors with us modellers being a secondary consideration.  (I am mystified why Corgi thought 1/50 was a good scale.  There is no railway model scale to match.)

John

Undoubtedly but a number of the prototypes are not easily available from others. Agree re Corgi, especially as their cars are 1:43 but the trucks are 1:50...

Just now, 37114 said:

Undoubtedly but a number of the prototypes are not easily available from others. Agree re Corgi, especially as their cars are 1:43 but the trucks are 1:50...

Yes, I picked up a number of Vanguards for a good price on Hatton's Pre-owned.  I did get a Corgi Milk Tanker in 1/43, they seem to be all over the place.  Perhaps the smaller scale is related to manufacturing limitations for larger vehicles.

John

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, brossard said:

I wonder if the market for these is mostly collectors with us modellers being a secondary consideration. 

Traditionally yes but given how O has taken off i simply cant believe that a few staple 60s and 70s commercial vehicles wouldn't sell if they were released.

Re 1:50 I had thought this was throwback to the original Dinky toys when a 1:50th (ish) lorry (or particularly a van) came out reasonably sized compared to a toy car and thus affordable and fitting in similar packaging. And then as suggested, it has perpetuated for collectors where it doesnt really matter.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

Oxford have a large range of cars and commercials, which are very good.  Although I can't imagine having a need for the Queen's limousine on my layout.  They do need to up their game with respect to buses and trucks.

John

Model diecast collectors have many themes like Royalty ,presidents ,dead dictators .The Queens Roller is probably in some tourist shops  all over the world .Since diecast became cheap (made in china ) its just amazing what is produced .Cars no  sensible  manufacturer would produce were/are suddenly  feasible  and so cheap .Some one once asked me to go in with them to produce  racing car models .It sounded like a great idea but I saw my first Pauls Model Art model in a local shop and bingo .The future punched me in the face thank God.

It goes back to my previous comment about collectors vs modellers.  I suspect we (modellers) are in the minority.  To be fair I don't require hundreds of vehicles for my layout so my needs are not going to keep the manufacturers in pocket.

John

There is a real shortage of model buses in O scale. Perhaps Ixo or Oxford will launch some Bristols: Lodekkas and MWs would surely be popular and ran in many parts of the UK. I declare an interest as I'm modelling within extended bus route distance of Bristol itself.

• Like 1

I wouldn't agree that they are cheap given the rip off prices Corgi is charging for Vanguard models, many of which will have had the cost of the moulds fully depreciated years ago.

I prefer to get mine from exhibitions, rallies etc as they can usually be picked up much more cheaply. Boxes might be a bit damaged but the model is usually in pristine condition.

Got a Hachette Green Line RT for £20 new.

Oxfords new Weyman 1:43 coaches are the bees knees and I hope the first of what will be a whole range in this scale. I am hoping for a Bristol RE - many liveries available!

regards

Paul R

I have a couple of the IXO RT Regent buses that I would like to change the destination details on. Has anyone come across any suitable replacement transfers or anyone that could produce them cheaply. I did contact Railtec but didn't get a reply, also tried another supplier but the costs for a small order would be prohibitive. Hopefully, not too off topic.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 70E said:

I have a couple of the IXO RT Regent buses that I would like to change the destination details on. Has anyone come across any suitable replacement transfers or anyone that could produce them cheaply. I did contact Railtec but didn't get a reply, also tried another supplier but the costs for a small order would be prohibitive. Hopefully, not too off topic.

Not the most helpful answer I know, but yes, I have come across transfers somewhere which I now cant find. Could well have been ebay and they only list periodically.

6 hours ago, Simond said:

Quite a range here, prices not cheap.

https://www.mdk-miniatures.com/en/model-cars-143/?brand=0&mode=list&limit=24&sort=asc&min=31&max=85

but light commercial vehicles in 7mm would surely be a winner?

atb

Simon

So would some late 1960s and 1970s lorries for D&E modellers, Eg Leyland Ergonomic's et al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Slight hijack but the AEC mantador, leyland beaver, albion and comet (and others) all seem to look the same. Were they different chassis/engine with a standard (ergonomic) cab?

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1