Fruit D battery box details

Hi

Not sure where is the best place to post this.

Does anyone have details such as pictures or dimensions of the battery boxes fitted to the BR built Fruit Ds, which were electrically lit? Any photos I can find are not clear at all.  And are there any castings that are available for 4mm scale that might be suitable to use?

Thanks very much, Chris

1 hour ago, brossard said:

Have a look through this:

You'll need a dynamo and end switch gear.

John

Thanks John

I think I’m right in assuming the switch gear is a one end only.  Based on photos I have come across, the switch gear is at the right hand end when looking at the van side with the vacuum cylinder facing.

regards, Chris 

Cheers Chris, yes one end only.  I put mine on the end nearest the dynamo, but I don't claim to be accurate.  If you find something better, you should use that.

Edit:  In fact having had a scroll through Paul's pictures, it looks as though I got my switch gear on the wrong end.  Sod's Law rules!

4mm modellers should check out the larger scale, there is a lot of good info.

John

Edited by brossard

25 minutes ago, brossard said:

Cheers Chris, yes one end only.  I put mine on the end nearest the dynamo, but I don't claim to be accurate.  If you find something better, you should use that.

Edit:  In fact having had a scroll through Paul's pictures, it looks as though I got my switch gear on the wrong end.  Sod's Law rules!

4mm modellers should check out the larger scale, there is a lot of good info.

John

Thanks John

Yes, looking at other scales is always helpful, and it is something I always try to do. 

I was asking the question about the switchgear, because although I’d seen some  photos of real vehicles, the switchgear seems to be on different ends on photos of various models.  As you say, Sods Law can indeed rule. 

Thanks again for your help, the description of your build of the JLTRT kit is excellent

regards, Chris

I measured up W92076W at Tysley and the battery box was approx 735 x 500 x 300mm (l x h x w) which would equate to 9.6 x 6.5 x 4.0mm in 4mm scale. It sat approx 180mm inwards from the front face of the angle trussing which would be about 2.3mm in the 00 gauge world.

Below is a composite image as I couldn't get it in one shot due to it being a tight squeeze. Beware that in common with such boxes it sits on a slightly larger angle iron frame.

The end switch gear on this particular vehicle was missing but from the outlines left behind I made a note that it sat at the same end as the vacuum cylinder.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Informative/Useful 1