July 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Two for the price of one! Enjoy a free copy of Garden Rail with digital copies of BRM, on-sale this Friday, from pocketmags.com/BRM.

496181165_DigiCover.jpg.540af2a4d1cda2f767ecdc3e986e3882.jpg

Enjoy four varied and skilfully-created model railways in this super 228-page digital issue of BRM, with a free copy of Garden Rail magazine.

308313845_BRMGR.jpg.305ab7fa0397d7428049e3d98d992726.jpg

Digital edition-only bonus content this issue includes 77 extra gallery images of the layouts included, plus three bonus features and four exclusive videos:

digi1.jpg.bf6441c151fa67ba04f386a674eac3cf.jpg

Exclusive 'first look' new model videos

digi2.jpg.3a6327799ef298351f176e4bf470d26d.jpg

Bonus layout: 'Trebudoc' (O)

digi3.jpg.373617f269a59dacb4cc6089f3d33be3.jpg

Bonus step-by-step beach scene article

digi4.jpg.553eb4f936789f4f3f45300f7d50949d.jpg

Unseen extra layout images

digi5.jpg.ee74d05c94f02cac4583dcb389bc9adf.jpg

Bonus Interview with Modula Layouts

Plus, in this episode of BRM TV:

ShwtDVD.jpg.290e6ba7c202781e63c8fad4c4da28d2.jpg

'Shwt' (EM)...

18344619_staticgrassDVD.jpg.71738c7aef4f1a723ff5bef756154575.jpg

...tips for adding static grass...

698935257_cardconstruction.jpg.f925f090eac7cbf6e11bbfe6949fa893.jpg

...and card kit modelling construction advice.

Layouts inside this issue include 'Sandy Bay' (N)...

893210193_SandyBay01.jpg.56c8c0a5fac8d14d9a7e75573cb749ca.jpg

'Parsons Vale' (OO)...

565837045_parsonsvale.jpg.3236c3d1fe16db7fd20c4c3cf7351da0.jpg

'Shwt' (EM)...

shwt.jpg.812176e750338c1309b61807fedc841c.jpg

and 'The Vale of Weedol' (16mm scale)...

811352077_valeofweedol.jpg.2126a81b51523dc6c17b4d2885e872bf.jpg

Practical BRM this month shares ideas for automating your layout...

automate.jpg.5f2355a53d6828728cc0c3b87c61ff32.jpg

Modelling rubbish...

rubbish.jpg.c4b4204d6b100f93ecb4c21af7b60fc3.jpg

Making a brownfield site...

brownfield.jpg.cb8c8912816baca7ca388b7a29463b80.jpg

Building a stone warehouse kit...

warehouse.jpg.d4960d4f3bde03dc5ca1b02f8085f33c.jpg

And constructing your first card kit...

card.jpg.cbf32234c2dc50b42be4da85ff598705.jpg

Plus, we explore making a model of St Ives suitable for a box room – trackplan and ideas inside!

1174089792_stives.jpg.5479e8b79d591aa7c390e6e4dbfade77.jpg

We also review Hattons' LNER A4 4-6-2 'Pacific'...

a4.jpg.eb58c700b76bb5fc2a53950dc7509254.jpg

Plus Rails/Dapol's A1/A1X 0-6-0PT 'Terrier'...

14xx.jpg.e1eb9218a3c36bdbcacd99ccceed26a1.jpg

And Dapol's 14XX...

14xx.jpg.2b5755f58cf82f799d559c0b6f056a6a.jpg

All this, plus the latest news and much more in the unmissable July 2020 digital edition of BRM. Download yours from this Friday at pocketmags.com/BRM. Enjoy!

• Like 3

• Administrators
15 hours ago, sjrixon said:

Enjoying this month.. but page 79 has an odd image in the pocket mags version. 

It's been replaced so download a new copy. Sadly, only in the digi edition. If you have a print edition, cut this out and stick it in place.

Vale of.jpg

Sorry about this.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to resist the temptation to call it a rubbish issue :)

Rather it's a nicely balanced issue. Big layouts, small layouts, N, OO, EM, 16mm, steam, diesel, and some unexpected ideas. Something for everyone, yet it doesn't feel fragmented. Nice work!

I especially liked the presentation of Parsons Vale. Proper big spread opening, no apologizing for it being a small layout. Great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm really pleased to see such a fantastic layout featured in BRM. I saw it at a show last year and it's nothing less than breath-taking. A wonderful rendition of a line in flux, the builders should be proud of their achievements and thanks to the BRM staff for including it. Can't wait for my copy of BRM to arrive!

• Like 2

On 12/06/2020 at 18:31, sjrixon said:

Enjoying this month.. but page 79 has an odd image in the pocket mags version. 

Maybe something I am doing wrong as a digital newbie but in my copy page 69 has an advert rather than the first page of my layout article?

Really enjoyed the magazine read, Shwt is a lovely layout and the photos are excellent 

Edited by 37114
Typo

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Maybe something I am doing wrong as a digital newbie but in my copy page 69 has an advert rather than the first page of my layout article?

Really enjoyed the magazine read, Shwt is a lovely layout and the photos are excellent 

p69 all looks good this end, but can I suggest deleting and re-downloading? Please drop me a PM if you still have a problem.

H

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Downsman John said:

Are print subscribers going to receive an email link to BRM TV this month?

Is the DVD going to be included again in the future?

Another excellent edition, keep up the good work.

Hi John, yes, subscribers will receive a link as per previous few months to access BRM TV content. We'll review the DVD vs. link situation as stores begin to re-open this month.

H

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, steve45 said:

When is the printed version on sale please?

It should have appeared on shelves from yesterday, if you have a stockist open.

• RMweb Premium

I’d echo the positive comments.  I enjoyed the BRM TV video too.  

If I could add a some points from experience about making card kits (I’m not an expert, but am probably modelling at the level this demonstration was aimed at - @Howard Smith has shown a couple of my Metcalfe creations in BRM in the past):

The single most helpful tip I’ve ever picked up for making building kits was from a previous @Phil Parker demonstration video, that was also explained here too: smearing a fine layer of glue around so the surface is covered - fine enough so that it it won’t run out when the pieces are squeezed together.  It really improved my model making.  However, I use a cocktail stick to do this so my fingers remain clean and don’t leave marks on the brickwork - or worse, the windows.

Rather than use a felt tip pen to colour the exposed card edges, I prefer to use a soft graphite pencil as an alternative - I’ve found it is possible (with care) to rub out any slips or mistakes.

When it comes to glue, I noticed Phil used more than one sort.  As an explainer, I find it helpful to use a contact card glue (such as Roket Card Glue) for those parts of the model where it’s OK to be quick, but use a slower glue (such as UHU) where a bit of wiggle may be needed, as with the windows.  Where they are available, solvent-free glues (UHU or Bostik are two I’ve used) as they aren’t “stringy.”

Some kits include printed pavements.  Scoring them, as Phil showed with the roof, can be really effective on paving stones too.

Finally, I notice Phil didn’t top off the chimney stack with the rolled red paper chimney pots usually included (it’s standard in many Metcalfe kits so I assume one would be included?).  Again, I‘ve found that rolling the paper tight around a (different) cocktail stick can produce a reasonable result.

Hope it’s OK to share these things I’ve learned here, as they’ve really enhanced my enjoyment when making kits.  Thanks, Keith.

• Like 4

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Finally, I notice Phil didn’t top off the chimney stack with the rolled red paper chimney pots usually included (it’s standard in many Metcalfe kits so I assume one would be included?).  Again, I‘ve found that rolling the paper tight around a (different) cocktail stick can produce a reasonable result.

Phil did, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. I tend to make quite long videos and sometimes they want me to shut up a bit earlier!

For rolling stuff, I like a small jewellers screwdriver because you can use the bit where the blade joins the handle as a guide - but it's one of those things where each to his or her own. We all have slightly different methods!

For the glues, I prefer Roket Card, but not always when filming. Modern lights aren't nearly as hot as the older ones, but it can still be warm in our studio and I am thinking about the camera as well as producing a nice model so a bit of wiggle room is worth having which makes PVA sometimes preferable. As a rule though, Roket for card to card. UHU for anything involving plastic. Again, other people might find different glues work better for them.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

There's a lot to enjoy in this month's BRM - thank you.  I also enjoyed the article on modelling St Ives.  The 8' x 6' box room is a good size for this plan - from memory, the long-time Editor of Railway Modeller and Author Cyril Freezer once wrote about how he built a model of St Ives in an under-stairs cupboard, with a removable fiddle yard that blocked the hallway (I think he omitted the Engine Shed).  Another common shape for a room with the same footprint has the door in the corner, along the shorter wall.

This is typically found in terraced houses as a room above the front door and hallway.  The door can't easily be re-hung to swing outwards if there's a bedroom doorway next to it.  I therefore had a go at fitting the same plan (with the same points) into that space.  It wasn’t radically different - it wasn’t supposed to be - but there are a couple of things that might be of interest:  I kept the station on the shorter side so that's what people see when the door is open or as they enter the room, and I angled the Traverser to help to fit it all in.  To ensure the end curve fits I plotted it with 3rd Radius Setrack, but it would be built with Code 75 flextrack.  Min. Rad. on the bay curve was also set to 20" and could be plotted with 3rd Radius Setrack as well before building.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Edited for text only as photos no longer available
  • Like 1

Hi Howard, what an excellent issue, nicely balanced mix of layouts and articles. I must say a big Thank You to Tony Wright for his superb photos of my layout Sandy Bay.

Looking forward to the next issue,

Kevin Smith.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1