Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I've been modifying some old K's Siphon F kits, one becoming a Siphon C. On the full size ones, the Siphon branding is squeezed into a triangle of wooden framing. The HMRS transfers only have normal size writing which won't fit. I've looked on POWsides and Railtec websites and they look too large.

 

Does anyone know of any transfers that will fit? Any ideas?

 

Thanks

 

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be interested to see more as to how you did the conversion.  I have been thinking about doing much the same on a spare siphon F.

 

as for the transfers, might be worth asking Railtec if they can resize their existing transfers.  From their source drawing it should be a pretty simple job.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't tried them or even seen one in the flesh but Modelmaster sheet GW302 has siphon F on it.

 

gw302-gwr-large-sheet-of-lettering-numbers-for-nspcc-brown-vehicles-now-back-in-print.jpg.bbd4eab48a40664a76fa15c1eca6c728.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Haven't tried them or even seen one in the flesh but Modelmaster sheet GW302 has siphon F on it.

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't thought of them.  Unfortunately, it looks like it is the same size as the 'normal' size Siphon G, H & J font.

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Would be interested to see more as to how you did the conversion.  I have been thinking about doing much the same on a spare siphon F.

 

as for the transfers, might be worth asking Railtec if they can resize their existing transfers.  From their source drawing it should be a pretty simple job.

Hi Fatadder,

 

I will write about it when I've done transfers. Essentially, cut'n'shut the sides between the middle of the 2nd and 3rd set of doors. The Ratio 4 wheel brake has the right wheelbase but is slightly too long.  It's not as accurate as the brass body kit that Shirescenes offer but I had a spare Siphon F.

 

Just realised that Railtec do that sheet in 3mm - might work possibly? 

 

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WillCav said:

Hi Fatadder,

 

I will write about it when I've done transfers. Essentially, cut'n'shut the sides between the middle of the 2nd and 3rd set of doors. The Ratio 4 wheel brake has the right wheelbase but is slightly too long.  It's not as accurate as the brass body kit that Shirescenes offer but I had a spare Siphon F.

 

Just realised that Railtec do that sheet in 3mm - might work possibly? 

 

Will

Thanks will be interested to read it, I’m in much the same place in having a spare F (which has a damaged roof to boot). So seems worth having a go.

 

 

Good idea with the 3mm scale transfer, if not Railtec have been very wiling to make small changes to transfers in order to adjust to requirements.  The last I ordered they were prepared to adjust a logo to remove a web address from the artwork (which is a lot more work than resizing)  So there’s a good chance they will be able to adjust it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2020 at 20:25, The Fatadder said:

...

Good idea with the 3mm scale transfer, if not Railtec have been very wiling to make small changes to transfers in order to adjust to requirements.  The last I ordered they were prepared to adjust a logo to remove a web address from the artwork (which is a lot more work than resizing)  So there’s a good chance they will be able to adjust it.

 

The gap I've got for the transfer is about 6mm wide and full size transfers are about 8mm so hopefully Railtec 3mm will be the solution.

 

I've taken the plunge and ordered some. I'll give them a try and let you know the outcome.

 

Thanks for the encouragement 

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I usually use P.C. Models*/HMRS Pressfix/Methfix transfers. As stated they are too thick for a SIPHON F (or C - I started one years ago...), but I solved this by squeezing together the individual letters. I suspect the real thing used narrower (condensed) lettering as IIRC it is the normal height.

I'm away from my library at the moment and the internet is no help.

 

*Some of mine are really that old!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Siphon F transfers on the Modelmaster sheet do fit, as I applied some this week. However, there's only one set of Siphon F on the sheet so you'll need a sheet for each one you've got.

 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GWR didn't have many SIPHON F, so it doesn't really matter (says he who has two!). A bit of cunning mix and match could provide a few more.

 

In the only photo of a SIPHON C I could find online, the problem had been solved by not painting the code on it, as has been done here with a SIPHON F  https://srmg.org.uk/restoring-a-40-year-old-keyser-siphon-f-kit

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

The Siphon F transfers on the Modelmaster sheet do fit, as I applied some this week. However, there's only one set of Siphon F on the sheet so you'll need a sheet for each one you've got.

 

CoY

Thanks CoY,

 

Was that on the K's kit with the stretched middle panels? I've cut'n'shut mine by a few mm so I have less space to fit it.

 

I did have 2 Siphon Fs - I got them before I knew there were only 6 of them. One has new been converted to Siphon C.

 

Since I ordered the 3mm transfers, Steve from Railtec got in touch and he kindly checked the sizing of them for me. Even the 3mm ones are too wide. Steve is looking at what can be done (thanks again Steve, for your help if you're reading).

 

Regards

 

Will

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

The GWR didn't have many SIPHON F, so it doesn't really matter (says he who has two!). A bit of cunning mix and match could provide a few more.

 

In the only photo of a SIPHON C I could find online, the problem had been solved by not painting the code on it, as has been done here with a SIPHON F  https://srmg.org.uk/restoring-a-40-year-old-keyser-siphon-f-kit

Thanks Il Grifone,

 

The Siphon codes were off and on at different times.  The few photos of my era seem to show the Siphon Fs with the codes being there so I'll see what Steve from Railtec can come up with.

 

Regards

 

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WillCav said:

Thanks CoY,

 

Was that on the K's kit with the stretched middle panels? I've cut'n'shut mine by a few mm so I have less space to fit it.

 

Regards

 

Will

 

Yes it's the unaltered Ks kit.

 

The GWR only ever built 6 Siphon Fs so I don't mind too much having two!

 

CoY

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

 

Yes it's the unaltered Ks kit.

 

The GWR only ever built 6 Siphon Fs so I don't mind too much having two!

 

CoY

Oh dear....

20170706_133700.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rule 1 always applies! 

 

My two are in different liveries - crimson and brown.

 

It would appear that the crimson livery did not get applied to any SIPHON.  1906 + 12 years + a couple of years or so late because of the war (+ some crimson paint left over?) (+ Rule 1!) just scrapes by in my book. (I would assume the switch back to brown was coincident with the reintroduction of chocolate and cream for carriages.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on transfers:

 

 

I tried to do the Siphon C with HMRS transfers close together and it doesn't look too good (roof needs work as well)20200614_154818.jpg.817402ea978704fc0733e46b398b729b.jpg

 

The good news is that Steve from Railtec is planning to update the Siphon F / G transfer pack in 4mm and put in a compressed Siphon F in the pack. I'll post pictures when I've got them and used them. (No links to company).

 

I know I could have kept both as Siphon Fs but 2 were scrapped in the timeframe I model, so I decided to try the conversion. 

 

I am loving Lofty's Siphon selection - get a few Siphon Cs and you can model the sausage train from Calne to Newcastle!

 

Thanks

 

Will

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, WillCav said:

Update on transfers:

 

 

I tried to do the Siphon C with HMRS transfers close together and it doesn't look too good (roof needs work as well)20200614_154818.jpg.817402ea978704fc0733e46b398b729b.jpg

 

The good news is that Steve from Railtec is planning to update the Siphon F / G transfer pack in 4mm and put in a compressed Siphon F in the pack. I'll post pictures when I've got them and used them. (No links to company).

 

I know I could have kept both as Siphon Fs but 2 were scrapped in the timeframe I model, so I decided to try the conversion. 

 

I am loving Lofty's Siphon selection - get a few Siphon Cs and you can model the sausage train from Calne to Newcastle!

 

Thanks

 

Will

Thanx Will.

Two of the 'F's have been shortened to the correct length. Same problem with the decals. (No room)

Also have a 'C' with the same conundrum.

20170706_133712.jpg

20160824_101109.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just received a package from Railtec.  The SIPHON F transfers have been reduced in size. 

20200620_105107.jpg.874650f31c8fca3438eb9c61f9989e3b.jpg

I'll have to finish my model and try them out.  I've checked the size and they will fit.

 

Thanks to Steve from Railtec for being so helpful (no link except very happy customer).

 

Will

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, WillCav said:

I've just received a package from Railtec.  The SIPHON F transfers have been reduced in size. 

20200620_105107.jpg.874650f31c8fca3438eb9c61f9989e3b.jpg

I'll have to finish my model and try them out.  I've checked the size and they will fit.

 

Thanks to Steve from Railtec for being so helpful (no link except very happy customer).

 

Will

Looks great, will be adding a sheet to my next Railtec order!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That reminds me I need some transfers for my O33 kits. No rush, doubt they'll be finished anytime soon at my pace!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are still looking for Siphon C transfers have you looked at CPL Products - https://www.cplproducts.net/transfers--prints.html

 

Ian

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ianwales said:

If you are still looking for Siphon C transfers have you looked at CPL Products - https://www.cplproducts.net/transfers--prints.html

 

Ian

Thanks Ian,

 

I didn't know about them - I'll have to get some of their transfers.  Unfortunately, scaling the transfers from the 25" and 16" G W on the same sheet, it looks like they are regular size writing which wont fit in the triangular gap I have.

 

I'm thinking of using the Siphon F transfer from Railtec and making the C from a spare O in Siphon G.

 

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update - I've used the Railtec transfers and the smaller Siphon F text fits live a glove.  I've used the other Siphon F transfers with a bit of an 'O' as a 'C' to improve my Siphon C as well (roof still needs fixing).

20200705_154437.jpg.178bf43961ae512a4a280a2b796a4fbe.jpg

I've never used Railtec transfers before and I found them easy to apply. The only issue is that I had to cut a few Tares up to make the correct 22.11 weight for the American bogied versions.  The 18T is from the HMRS transfers.  I think the Railtec ones are a better colour.

 

Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.