Models of 60033 Seagull during locomotive exchanges

Monkey

Can anyone help me with information on 60033 Seagull, as she would be depicted during the 1948 Locomotive exchange trials? 

Am I right in thinking she would have still been in LNER blue? Obviously any images I've found have been black an white. 

Ideally I'd like to find a factory made OO model that is correct for the period, but I can only find pre BR models in blue, or BR Green. Any pointers towards a readymade model would be appreciated. 

Monkey

At the time of the 1948 trials 33 was in LNER garter blue but with British Railways painted on the tender. She had also been renumbered 60033 by then. I have a feeling you might not be lucky with a factory model so adorned.

Regards

Martin

• Thanks 1

Martin, thanks for the info. 

I might try my hand at picking up a LNER one and renumbering it. 

Would you know, or can point me towards finding out the appropriate coloured transfers to use? 

I haven't my books to hand, but you would need to start by checking which tender was fitted. I seem to recall that some modifications had to be made to allow coaling on foreign lines.

A Google search on the exchange should provide some details.

Mr Musgrave modelled a few of the engines for his Southern region layout, including seagull

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/grahammuz.com/2011/09/26/talking-stock-2-the-1948-locomotive-exchange-trials/amp/

I’m uncertain (and please someone correct me if I’m wrong) but I believe that Seagull was at the time a double chimneyed garter blue loco mated to a non corridor tender.

The rearMost panel of the tender was cut down on all A4s participating in the exchanges to give greater clearance, so a bit of modding will be required

EDIT: Scratch that, done a bit of research and at the time of the trials she was attached to tender 5325 which had a corridor connection. 

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Edge said:

Mr Musgrave modelled a few of the engines for his Southern region layout, including seagull

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/grahammuz.com/2011/09/26/talking-stock-2-the-1948-locomotive-exchange-trials/amp/

I’m uncertain (and please someone correct me if I’m wrong) but I believe that Seagull was at the time a double chimneyed garter blue loco mated to a non corridor tender.

The rearMost panel of the tender was cut down on all A4s participating in the exchanges to give greater clearance, so a bit of modding will be required

EDIT: Scratch that, done a bit of research and at the time of the trials she was attached to tender 5325 which had a corridor connection. 

The  fuzzy wiki photo seems to show a non corridor tender with the rear panel cut down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My model of Seagull, complete with cut down tender raves, can be seen below and as running on my Fisherton Sarum.  I used a Bachmann model as the basis at the time. 77C4122D-59CA-4EA2-A3F4-78AB8ECD700C.jpeg.5ef43dbd2c8ea0af3b9aa02aaa455da5.jpeg
C769EBAD-7B5F-4AA8-B4EF-DFC196B758DE.jpeg.0fda89e7cfef0a6e8a4b01f4eb7390a8.jpeg

245D0281-5490-4EF5-8E30-7C2E340C75CD.jpeg.ff01432c196025cb72ffe2a848cba1ba.jpeg

my take in the Exchange Trials can be read here https://grahammuz.com/2014/11/05/talking-stock-31-my-own-thoughts-on-the-1948-locomotive-exchange-trials/

The corridor tender required the rear section of the raves to be cut down to allow the water cranes under the roof at Euston be used. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

Nobody's mentioned the loco valances yet ...... all Hornby's garter blue issues have been fully skirted as far as I know ( not sure about anyone else ) - which makes my quest for a 1948 'Mallard' equally frustrating !

...... nobody except Graham with his Bachmann ......... !

Edited by Wickham Green too
update
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, doilum said:

A veritable tangle of tenders. Were the cut down top valances ever restored?

No they were not except in one instance. The tender off of 60034 was given to 4472 when it was preserved by Alan Pegler in 1963.It ran in that condition for many years thereafter. In the mid 1980s I believe the tender was retanked, and it seems the cut down top parts were "reinstated". The attached picture is from Yeadon's Register Volume 2 and shows E22 Mallard at Nine Elms with this cut down rear portion of the tender. Mallard of course when it was preserved  lost its corridor tender  and had the non corridor tender it had when doing 126 mph fiited in its place. It was not the original but renumbered to be.

Regards

Simon

IMG_1118.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slilley said:

No they were not except in one instance. The tender off of 60034 was given to 4472 when it was preserved by Alan Pegler in 1963.It ran in that condition for many years thereafter. In the mid 1980s I believe the tender was retanked, and it seems the cut down top parts were "reinstated". The attached picture is from Yeadon's Register Volume 2 and shows E22 Mallard at Nine Elms with this cut down rear portion of the tender. Mallard of course when it was preserved  lost its corridor tender  and had the non corridor tender it had when doing 126 mph fiited in its place. It was not the original but renumbered to be.

Regards

Simon

IMG_1118.jpg

And that is the money shot!

• Like 1

The moment the paint dries on your five years in the making scratch built Seagull, Hornby announce their special box set " 1948 Loco exchange" collection. My first A4 was Seagull. A rescued three rail non runner from the Wakefield show bring and buy, it ended up with a Triang A3 chassis and plastic tender. It stood up pretty well against the contemporary RTR or kit offerings. I did a similar job for Merlin. All sold as I committed to 7mm in the early 90s.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

IMG_20211017_190229.jpg.93ed81091f8171121c9217b7a54ac95a.jpg

On 12/06/2020 at 15:39, doilum said:

The moment the paint dries on your five years in the making scratch built Seagull, Hornby announce their special box set " 1948 Loco exchange" collection. My first A4 was Seagull. A rescued three rail non runner from the Wakefield show bring and buy, it ended up with a Triang A3 chassis and plastic tender. It stood up pretty well against the contemporary RTR or kit offerings. I did a similar job for Merlin. All sold as I committed to 7mm in the early 90s.

History repeating itself?

I now have a 7mm Seagull on the slow burner. She is a Hachette bitsa sourced from the bay of E and making use of the corridor tender body left over from the St Frusquin build. The frames are from the A3 with a fair amount of scratch building to come. 

This has kick-started a little more research. As far as I can gather from " A Tangle of Tenders", three A4 locomotives were prepared for the locomotive exchange. All three acquired a 1928 type corridor tender in the spring of 1948.

Mallard recieved 5323 which was transferred to Woodcock in 1953 and remained with it until withdrawal.

Seagull received 5325 and Lord Farringdon no 5332. In 1954 these tenders were exchanged and remained with the locomotives until withdrawal.

Other streamlined corridor tenders had some of the upper valancing removed but this appears to have been a much more ad hoc process.

As always the advice must be to find a photograph of your chosen locomotive on a specific date and model it. One bonus of this research was to confirm that the non corridor tender I have attached to Wild Swan ,( built pre internet) is correct for the date I had in mind!