Dapol Class 21 / 29 sound

Hound Dog

Anybody heard one of the new factory fitted sound versions of Dapol’s Class 21 / 29........ looking for feedback to help decide whether to buy one or go for the base model and a separate sound decoder from Biffo or somebody....... any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The problem with judging the accuracy of the Class 29 sound is that the last one was broken up nearly 50 years ago and there is are no high fidelity sound recordings I'm aware of, so the sound file has to be recreated using the known charcteristics of the engine type. The Paxman Ventura was a high speed engine that has a common lineage with the much more famous Paxman Valenta that powered the HSTs for the first 30 years - these of course had a famous high pitched scream so the piercing sound in the 29 sounds eminently plausible.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/08/2020 at 18:41, black and decker boy said:

Sorry, unexpected lockdown related delay.

here is a short video of the factory fitted sound:

my verdict, not bad at all, high pitch engine whine is quite piercing and on a short loop but may improve with volume reduced but the underlying growl is good and the ancillary sounds are good.

Black and Decker Boy - thanks for posting the video........so glad I decided to go only with the dcc ready version as I think that high pitched whine would have done my head in !

8 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

Black and Decker Boy - thanks for posting the video........so glad I decided to go only with the dcc ready version as I think that high pitched whine would have done my head in !

As a tinnitus sufferer, I totally agree.

It really set me on edge! 

• Agree 1