Hornby/Electrotren 0-6-0T steam locos

dagrizz

I see on the Rails of Sheffield website that two Hornby/Electrotren 0-6-0T locos have just been released, one of which is in NCB livery. I know nothing of this supplier, these models or their prototypes. Can anyone provide a potted summary please? At £54.50, I might just be interested in the NCB version.

Thanks

Graham

That's a good price compared to the prices asked (and accomplished) on eBay!  Even if you don't use the (HO scale) bodies, the chassis have been utilised by Hardy's Models (no connection) for various industrial loco bodies.  Shame about the enormous flanges on the loco wheels - I wonder why Hornby decided to use them instead of a better profiled wheel?

Steve S

UPDATE:

Both new versions for sale on eBay at full RRP plus postage - or you can get the saddle tank version new from Spain at more or less the same price but £30+ in postage.  Second hand versions have sold dor more due to scarcity!  Rails looks a good price!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Ebay info checked
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

That's a good price compared to the prices asked (and accomplished) on eBay!  Even if you don't use the (HO scale) bodies, the chassis have been utilised by Hardy's Models (no connection) for various industrial loco bodies.  Shame about the enormous flanges on the loco wheels - I wonder why Hornby decided to use them instead of a better profiled wheel?

Steve S

Those large flanges were intended as a promotional offer for Pizza Hut. Buy 2, and they put it in the bag.......

Only joking, only joking. 

Actually, previous postings on here have demonstrated a rather natty little  model 0-6-0, concocted between the Electroen and a Triang Nellie/Polly/ Arthur type 0-4-0. I bought one especially to  make this little 'Bitsa', but I haven't got there yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Half-full
4 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

I use Peco code 75 track, am I to assume then that the wheel flanges will be too deep?

Graham

I've ran them on code 75 with no probs at all

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

I use Peco code 75 track, am I to assume then that the wheel flanges will be too deep?

Graham

In fairness to the model, I thought 'oh' when I opened the box initially. You can't help but notice the rather deep flanges. However, it does form the basis for a 0-6-0 outside cylindered model. I guess it's down to the individual, but it's certainly not issued with RP25 wheel/tyre profile. At least, as far as I know.

For the sort of money being asked for the normal E-Bay sales, it comes up close to a Hornby B2 Peckett, and I know where my money will go.

Half Full of this parish appears to have more experience about the model, and I will defer to his post.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The design of this model originates with the Lima group (it's also appeared under the Jouef brand) and therefore has NEM 311 profile wheels, which has a flange depth up to double that of RP25 which most modern British models use.

It's a very good chassis for the money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Nile said:

The design of this model originates with the Lima group (it's also appeared under the Jouef brand) and therefore has NEM 311 profile wheels, which has a flange depth up to double that of RP25 which most modern British models use.

It's a very good chassis for the money.

Going slightly off-topic, one wonders if there is a way of substituting RP25 profile wheels in preference to the NEM 311 type?

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Going slightly off-topic, one wonders if there is a way of substituting RP25 profile wheels in preference to the NEM 311 type?

Possibly, but the no cost 'cheap and dirty' method of grinding the flanges down on a tool stone works well. As others above a neat compact RTR mechanism at the £50-ish mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a 'step-by-step' illustrated article in the current Hornby Magazine about using one of these chassis beneath a Hardy's Hobbies body, which seems to make-up quite nicely as (for example) an NCB colliery shunter, making a good starter project for those wanting to take first steps beyond R-T-R.  I'm quite tempted ...

• Thanks 1

I bought one 5+ years ago, TVR spec., detailed it with coal, crew, 3 link couplings, added weathering then ran it in on a rolling road.  When brought up to speed for the first time, it burnt out and has been a showcase model ever since.  I seem to remember a replacement PCB was being offered ....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dagrizz said:

Thanks for your comments. As it is an H0 model of a Spanish prototype in NCB livery I'll probably pass on this one.:)

Graham

Dont be so quick to write it off...

Theres a ton of potential in this loco, heres a few i’m working on..

Polly conversion, removed the old chassis, drilled out under the boiler,  added large buffers, cut off the side steps & repositioned on the front..

image.jpg.d2f709dba4d9928be88d255d539b82a7.jpgimage.jpg.b48537f89c41553382230cea71e93041.jpg

next is East Lancs Railways’s ex-Meaford No1 RSH (ARC models kit)image.jpg.740973497bb128cb91938f28097831a1.jpg

Next up is North London Railway 58850, awaiting Dapol B4 connecting rods to be modified and fitted. (This was a body of unknown provenance from ebay).

image.jpg.f6b04716305ff7ac84f73549d84dd219.jpg

This will become a pseudo Polish tank, its waiting on Narrow Planet nameplates (huge delays) and will eventually be a mix of Army Olive green and Black. (Hardy Hobbies)

image.jpg.28100fbca2d0eec6a5bc3a4ffc73c068.jpg

and finally this one has had the rod pins swapped with a spare set, but will be one of a pair of Manchester Ship Canal inside cylinder “long” swedish tanks.. numbers 67 and 70. (hardy hobbies)

image.jpg.c30ec907f6209ce5bf8e860bf95d010e.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dagrizz said:

Thanks for your comments. As it is an H0 model of a Spanish prototype in NCB livery I'll probably pass on this one.:)

Graham

If you do you will pass up the opportunity to get hold of the best value chassis on the market.

I have one in the to do box that is the basis for the NLR tank. As others have said there are a host of possibilities in all manner of guises in at least two scales.

Bernard

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Half-full
22 hours ago, dagrizz said:

Graham

You could do some modelling to make it look more British in appearance

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't the saddle tank version based on a Sharp, Stewart loco exported to Spain?  I'd suggest that the model is not much as is for 00 layouts as the buffers will be in the wrong position, but it is not beyond the wit of man or Johnster to move them outwards a little.  The loco will look smaller than it should of course, but for an industrial this may be of less importance, so long as it is not mixing it with 4mm scale industrials when the size will be highlighted.  That said, it doesn't need much more than a Dapol/KItmaster pug cab to bring it into line!

It is, by all accounts, a very smooth runner, and as such, has a potential.  The only comparable RTR chassis, an outside cylindered industrial 0-6-0, is the Hornby B2 Peckett, which will cost you nearly twice as much.  I am considering an Electrotren as a chassis donor for a colliery loco; a J94 Hunslet body would look good on it, or one of the big Barclays from Talywaun.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I used to own a pair of the side tank versions in, if I remember correctly, 'NCB West Ayrshire' livery.  As others have pointed out they were very smooth runners with a good slow speed capability once run in.

The only real negative I could throw at them is the 6-pin socket; it's mounted vertically at the front of the loco meaning that you have to use either a very small (short) chip, or something like Bachmann's RA version.

Otherwise, I would go with Nile's suggestion on the body kit.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Nile said:

Yes indeedy, one of those Hudswell Clarke saddle tanks looks just the job!  As a DC Luddite I'd have no problem with the chip.  Sadly, far too much on at the moment to afford a Rails Electrotren and by the time I can, they'll all be gone.  O well...

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

My apologies if this is hijacking the thread, but has anyone here ever removed to valve gear so as to run the loco as an inside cylinder loco?  If anyone has, how straightforward was it, and were any other modifications required (beyond removing the cylinders)?

Thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi again,

My apologies if this is hijacking the thread, but has anyone here ever removed to valve gear so as to run the loco as an inside cylinder loco?  If anyone has, how straightforward was it, and were any other modifications required (beyond removing the cylinders)?

Thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

0C96CC96-4E54-4804-AB22-7E0E1D15B7DB.jpeg.4d05f4ab484c3924e2c258ad1f2183c3.jpeg

The mods required:

1. remove rods.

2. remove centre wheelset and trim the crank pin  (its deeper to allow the extra rod to the cylinder), I actually bought a spare wheel set from AC models (£8) and pushed the pin out and swapped it from the spare wheelset as I’ve a few to do and I’m time shy, I just swapped the other wheelSet on the 2nd loco I’m doing.

3. The cylinder itself is a separate piece and comes out (occasionally its got the bars attached to the frame support not the cylinder but it just pulls off).

4. The slide bar frame support is moulded plastic part of the motor housing, I just snipped it off.

10-20 minutes effort, needs a wheel nut spinner, small screwdriver and a pair of track cutters.

hardest part was trying not to disconnect a pick up wire whilst handling the motor.., just to avoid the need of soldering it back on.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2020 at 23:26, adb968008 said:

awaiting Dapol B4 connecting rods to be modified and fitted

Are these freely available, and if so where from please?

Cheers,

Peter C.

Guest Half-full
21 hours ago, 45568 said:

Are these freely available, and if so where from please?

Cheers,

Peter C.

DCC Supplies sell them, Dapol's official service/spares centre