Error 11-12

Dave Cousins

Hi Guys

Help. To cut a very long story short, I am trying to reset a loco back to factory settings. I understand this is done by changing CV 8 to 8, I'm running a Dynamis ultima, on service track and keep getting error code 11 or 12.

Can anyone please advise what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Essentially 11 and 12 are telling you the command station cannot read (error 11) or write (error 12) to the decoder.

There are a few possible reasons - is the service track live? - try running a known good loco on it.

If its OK, then check that you can read back a CV of the known good engine. If that is OK, then make sure there is power getting to the decoder on the subject loco - pick ups etc good, decoder wire or plug has not become detached / dislodged, if you have a multimeter you can check input and output voltages. Once you are sure power is getting to the decoder but still have these error messages, then I suspect decoder may be dud/blown.

It should always read CV8 to give the manufactured ID  but as an aside, writing value 8 to CV8 is not a guarantee of a factory reset, this feature is not an NMRA set standard and different decoder manufacturers have done different things - https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201489365-Master-list-of-Decoder-Resets-by-Manufacturer-

Do you know which manufacturer the decoder is?

Hi Jim

Thanks for responding, OK as I said, a long story, second-hand loco, no chip paperwork; cannot trace manufacturer or number. Track power good, another loco working fine, using a service track which has power same as main track from my new Dynamis ultima. Part of the problem I suspect is that I don’t have to Pro box, so cannot read the cv values. When I got the loco home it ran all be it roughly, I serviced it (it was very dirty) and then tried to test it and nothing.

Does this help your diagnostics?

• RMweb Premium

The Ultima superseded the pro box so should have no problem in reading/ writing. You are using the service track connection with the red cable to the command station? You should be able to read CV values with that. Try reading them from the loco that is working. This will prove if the service track and software are all OK.

1 hour ago, Dave Cousins said:

I serviced it (it was very dirty) and then tried to test it and nothing.

Any chance you have upset the pickups, got oil on them or a wire detached? Does the loco have any other functions e.g lights and if so, are they working or not?

Hi Jim, thanks again for coming back to me, I rechecked all the pickups and connections, the loco is a Lima DMU it has no other functions unlike one of the other second-hand purchases; a Hornby class 42 HST 125 but that’s another help request.

Thanks again for your help, ill go up and have another go, the Dynamis instructions are not the clearest which might also be part o the problem.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm getting the same with my dynamis ultima, when trying to change the loco address. Its on my rolling road the loco is a Bachmann 66 with a new loksound decoder. The decoder works fine in the loco at adresss 3 all sounds OK  running high low speeds only problem is when trying to change the loco address.