Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Which Type Of Layout Do You Prefer?

Do You Prefer Oval Or End-To-End Style Layouts?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Oval or end-to-end? (For your own personal use).

• OVAL
    • END-TO-END

On 02/07/2020 at 17:50, Nearholmer said:

I’m not at all sure about the “either-or” nature of the poll question, because I’m convinced that the very best layout involves a circuit with two opposing termini/destinations branching from it. 

I will be the second person to support this. Both my layouts are in storage at the moment. The n gauge layout is a large Kato oval with storage sidings with a couple of  (wip) scenic branches in the centre. The OO layout is a single 2nd radius oval with good sidings out side. In both cases it I want to test trains or just watch them go by I can or can run a branch line service on the n gauge layout or enjoy an end to end shunting puzzle in OO. So sorry no vote from me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Trains circulating is the death of reason for me, if a train runs through the scene, enough different trains have to follow it for me to have forgotten it before it reappears, or my suspension of disbelief is upset.

My other excuse for allowing tailchasing is that if it is a bit of a fiddle :) setting up a train that makes an occasional star turn appearance (say, adding a couple of catering coaches in the middle of a regular rake, plus an extra full brake on one end) I may want to watch it for a bit, see it passing other trains in different places on the layout, etc, before having to reverse the fiddle process.  Whereas the local DMU which makes regular appearances and lives permanently in the shortest storage loop will only make one pass each time it's scheduled.

• RMweb Gold

Ideally I would have  fiddle yard to fiddle yard operation so that trains come and then return later.

If the available space made that an oval. I would retain separate up and down storage areas.

A single line would possibly link the two to allow me to have a continuous run, but that would only be for testing purpose.

However, when you are operating 16 mm or 7/8ths live steamers, then having a continuous run is a distinct advantage, and far more relaxing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which Type Of Layout Do You Prefer?

One that works!!!

Slightly tongue-in-cheek there but being the world's least-savvy person at wiring and electrics in general I have had a few issues.  

In all honesty I can't record a vote because it's not the format of the layout (end-to-end or oval) that makes it but the workmanship, skill and dedication.  Layouts are built to fit in a particular space often as not and we don't always get the option.  I have gone from one extreme to another having had a 35-metre "oval" (circuit would be a better description) and a tiny N-gauge portable built on a cork notice-board.  The current layout is shoe-horned around two walls of a room which multi-tasks as bedroom, office, library, workshop and railway room.  A little limiting but she's coming along steadily and not looking too shabby.  I have even managed yards at both ends by hiding one behind the back-scene and the other under the bed.  

• Like 1

Ah. Something of a Kobayashi Maru choice; for me I'd probably opt for a combination of continuous run with a branch line terminus. 

Over the years I've had (in no particular order):

Small terminus to fiddle yard types

Continuous run

Continuous run out and back with a Minories terminus

Micro layout bitsa station

Large U-shaped terminus to fiddle yard.

I'd like to think that with each iteration the quality and realism improves a bit.

Most of the enjoyment has been in designing and making them.

But I suspect one reason for chopping and changing the layouts is that for me there's no "one answer" that endures.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I voted end to end, but in fact my main layout, OO and HO according to which part, is effectively an oval, with some of the single fiddle yard roads being double-ended. Since the layout, in a low-ceilinged 20' x 17' barn, winds around a bit, the total run is probably close to 80'. 

The OO bit is a junction station with a small yard. A Col Stephens branch provides a third destination although not much traffic goes to or from it. Trains arrive from London via Exeter, and split and join. This includes gentle shunting of loaded passenger coaches, as happened several times a day in the prototype location. Prototype timetabling from the '50s is being trialled, within the limitations of my passenger stock. 

The HO part is a through station with a larger yard and a number of industries, very US in style. Apart from being part of the oval it hasn't seen much use in recent years.

The convenience of just letting a train rip round the oval, while you occupy yourself with work not interrupting the route, is not lost on me. Nor is the brain-frazzling chance to have multiple trains running, even tail chasing, while you adjust throttles to avoid a tail-ender. 

• Like 3