GWR (2015) green paint?

I found that Phoenix Precision P323 Southern Dark Olive was quite close but needed a little blue added, so after experimenting I found that between 6 and 10ml of Revell SM350 (Dark Blue) added to a 50ml tin of the Phoenix Precision P323 gave about the correct shade.

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Geoff

DSCF1192.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2020 at 21:26, delticman said:

I found that Phoenix Precision P323 Southern Dark Olive was quite close but needed a little blue added, so after experimenting I found that between 6 and 10ml of Revell SM350 (Dark Blue) added to a 50ml tin of the Phoenix Precision P323 gave about the correct shade.

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Geoff

DSCF1192.JPG

Thanks for the reply Geoff. I also tracked down your painting thread which was very useful. What did you use for the doors. They’re a sort of silvery grey, but I think straight silver paint will look a bit too bright and shiny. 

I made up a tinlet of paint that I labelled "GWR Steel Grey" by mixing together Humbrol 53 Gunmetal and Revell 99 Aluminium until it looked right. The original GWR spec was Saab Steel Grey 279 so that might be worth trying.

Regards, Geoff

• 9 months later...
On 12/06/2020 at 21:26, delticman said:

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Geoff

DSCF1192.JPG

What did you used for the diagonal stripe?

The whole of the vehicles were given a coat of Humbrol Enamel Satin Varnish from their spray can range, then when thoroughly dry ( 48 hours min) the sides were masked and the stripe was applied using nothing more than Humbrol Enamel Matt Varnish also from their spray can range. This gives enough contrast as the two varnishes reflect light differently.

The Humbrol spray cans were used because of their wide availability and give a lovely even coat WHEN they are working!!!! I found that sometimes a can would work for a minute or so then it would jam up solid and no amount of cleaning of the nozzles would clear it leaving an almost full can totally unusable! 

I still have 4 of these unusable cans of spray varnish stored in a cupboard in the vain hope that the Paint Fairy will one day come and fix them as an email to Hornby Hobbies got me nowhere!

Sorry Jon, that turned into a bit of a rant didnt it? Hopefully this information will help.

Regards,

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1