Limestone traffic, early LMS - what wagons?

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I haven't tried those. The LNWR D32 van, which I think is a resin casting rather than print, is excellent; the quality of the latest printed resin wagons is as good (thinking of the Kirtley brake vans, the latest I've had). It seems to me he's been on a learning curve.

I've ordered a D84 so will post some photos here when it arrives.

I'm struggling to lose the diagonal lines from the printing process on the NSR opens (the 3 plank being noticeable worse than the 2 plank) without also losing the plank and rivet detail. Thought I'd nearly got there but a coat of paint yesterday revealed there is still work to be done.

IMG_20200614_093411.jpg.39f2a49c03a81eb7025908cdf3261646.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I see what you mean, I too would be a little dissapointed with that finish. The ironwork liiks a little 'shallow' too.

I wonder if painting it with car primer would help cover those diagonal lines up (after you have re-scribed the planks)?

You could probably have scratch built one in the time it takes to 're-finish' it!

Good Luck,

Cheers Tony

5 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Unfortunately that seems to be a common feature on Bachmann PO wagons and is a trap I fell into when I began modelling this period.  Nicely applied liveries on well detailed wagons, but livery is not necessarily applied to the right sort of wagon.

It's understandable, given the detail differences between different wagons and the fact that the majority of people either won't notice or don't mind.

Both Parkside and Cambrian's RCH 5 plank are also wooden underframes, although Cambrian do a RCH steel underframe separately.  I've not looked at how the Bachmann 5 plank comes apart, but it might be possible to graft it onto a Cambrian steel underframe.

On those wagons the solebars are part of the body moulding with the chassis let in between the solebars. You would have to take a saw to them if you just wanted to use the body. I'll stick with mine as they are as I didn't know ant different before today anyway. As you say "Nicely applied liveries on well detailed wagons", at least it's the correct size AFAIK so infinitely better than a 10ft wb, 17ft 6in O/H version.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting topic and useful for my take on Buxton Midland. I too found the Wirksworth Parish site and the Geo Lovegrove wagon. I used a Parkside kit 1923 RCH 5-Plank cut off the wooden end stanchions and replaced them with T section Plastistruct. Wheels are 3-hole disc. Buffers by Lanarkshire.

DSCF7285.JPG.4712e1bb0ac90f2c19a8bc70af9737d3.JPG

DSCF7287.JPG.af814350d1f7bf2b067e5a34a0b15d7e.JPG

DSCF7288.JPG.c051a6b35eda228ffb4aa137e6656d6d.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

Yes I see what you mean, I too would be a little dissapointed with that finish. The ironwork liiks a little 'shallow' too.

I wonder if painting it with car primer would help cover those diagonal lines up (after you have re-scribed the planks)?

You could probably have scratch built one in the time it takes to 're-finish' it!

Good Luck,

Cheers Tony

That's after priming, sanding and priming again.  Here it is after its initial coat of primer:

IMG_20200409_181813.jpg.6c281ed5b85dd5dd81824d0bfce5e28d.jpg

To be honest, I may still end up cutting my losses and seeing what parts I can salvage to use on a scratch build.

Fingers crossed the D84 is better.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Interesting topic and useful for my take on Buxton Midland. I too found the Wirksworth Parish site and the Geo Lovegrove wagon. I used a Parkside kit 1923 RCH 5-Plank cut off the wooden end stanchions and replaced them with T section Plastistruct. Wheels are 3-hole disc. Buffers by Lanarkshire.

DSCF7285.JPG.4712e1bb0ac90f2c19a8bc70af9737d3.JPG

DSCF7287.JPG.af814350d1f7bf2b067e5a34a0b15d7e.JPG

DSCF7288.JPG.c051a6b35eda228ffb4aa137e6656d6d.JPG

That's really nice, I may well be tempted to do something similar, thanks for the info.

• Thanks 1

As a point of info, according to Basil Jeuda "The limestone Quarries of Caldon Low", the LMS leased Caldon Low quarry to Hadfields from 3rd December 1934.  Hadfield were taken over by Derbyshire Stone in 1936.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

As a point of info, according to Basil Jeuda "The limestone Quarries of Caldon Low", the LMS leased Caldon Low quarry to Hadfields from 3rd December 1934.  Hadfield were taken over by Derbyshire Stone in 1936.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.  It was operated by the LMS for longer than I had expected then.

Does the book have many railway related photos in it?  Just wondering if it’s worthwhile looking out for a copy.

Hi Mark.  It does have some railway related photos, but not that many of the 1919-1939 period.  The standard of reproduction is not great either (although I have seen worse) which is a pity as it makes it difficult to see useful detail.  It is published by Churnet Valley Books in 2000 and the ISBN No. is 1 897949 64 2.  It is an interesting read, so maybe worth borrowing a copy from the library before laying out the cash!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Mousa LNWR D84 arrived today, after the slight disappointment of the NSR wagons I’d bought I was a little apprehensive, but I’m very impressed.

17E03D2A-B062-4D8A-B54B-EF10A78A782A.jpeg.2e679d445ea1f7a6264142b2987a7516.jpegA052CFCB-3003-46B5-86A1-F1922A9EE428.jpeg.7728b79a5336c1e011dab8fb827d9350.jpeg

The finish looks very good (this is literally straight out of the box).

No etched axleguards on these, so will be interesting to see how the suspension works when I get around to building it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

The Mousa LNWR D84 arrived today, after the slight disappointment of the NSR wagons I’d bought I was a little apprehensive, but I’m very impressed.

No etched axleguards on these, so will be interesting to see how the suspension works when I get around to building it.

It does look good. As far as I can see from your two photos, it's still designed for the spring bearing carrier - I note the slot in the back of the axleguard and printed loops for the spring. I'm in two minds about that so I'll be interested to see how you get on. With the full framing, it'll be tricky getting enough extra weight in under the floor if you want to model the wagon empty.

• Like 1