3 ways and double slips

Chilly

I have read on a site that 3 way points are the work of the devil and are best avoided if possible. (dramatic somewhat or is it hmm)

Are 3 way points more difficult to wire up and operate than double slips like that site suggested, I can see that a double slip could operate like back to back single slips so makes setting up easier.

Is it easier to avoid 3 ways and instead have 2 singles in tandem operating to give the same result as a 3 way would albeit sacrificing the space a 3 way would save?

If this is the wrong place to ask this question not sure myself with it being track/DCC/DC related I apologise in advance and will move it where advised to   

Chilly

Edited by Chilly

The current version of Danemouth has a Code 75 3 way point in the FY - previous incarnations have included 2 of them in the scenic area. They have worked without problems - just follow Peco's wiring diagram.

Similarly all the versions of Danemouth have had a double slip which have given no problems. Just remember the frogs  are not difficult to wire, but make sure you connect each frog wire to the correct point switch - that got me the first time!

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
  • Agree 1

Hello Chilly,

Yes, the points used the original Cobalt Motors which also provide the frog polarity switching via their auxiliary switch.  They are driven via DCC Concept decoders by my Powercab.

I orginally used frog juicersbut both failed after some years so I went over to the points themsekves switching polarity.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Three way points and  double slips are no more difficult than anything else assuming you can follow simple instructions.

Both of them are space saving and add operational interest.

Both were also very popular on real railways so are very prototypical used in the right places.

Don't let the wirring put you off, both are worth it!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just need to take extra care that solenoid motors such as Seep and Peco PL-10 are centrally mounted, especially if you are using built-in switches for frog polarity. This is because the throw of the blades is not as much as on standard turnouts. Both types require polarity switches, unlike standard turnouts that can be used without if necessary. I have several of both types but don't have issues with Tortoise motors. 

• RMweb Premium
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 14:04, Chilly said:

I have read on a site that 3 way points are the work of the devil and are best avoided if possible. (dramatic somewhat or is it hmm)

Symmetric 3-ways are "the work of the devil"

Asymmetric 3-ways are much tamer...….

Having built many 3-way points and several single and double slips, I can safely say that there is no 'black magic' involved in wiring them up. As others have said, there are simple instructions to follow if you've not tried doing it before.

Mark

Thank you chaps (Dave, RFS, IKCdab, Newbryford, Mark and Phil) my mind is at ease as PECO E199 are asymmetric :D

Cheers Iain, I will refer to all the threads when the track arrives.

Without this website I can honestly say I would have made a right **** up of the lot, once again thanks.

Chilly