Where to go from here?

moulin87

Hi, I'm an old contributor returning to the fold and am in the process of building a new project based on Bangor in North Wales. (Track plan attached), and a photo as it was in the 'old days'.  It is being built in a room in an old outbuilding approx. 6 metres by 4 metres using OO gauge. Trackwork is presently 65-70% complete.

The main through routes will have Cobalt point motors for route setting etc while the sidings, sheds, fiddle yards etc will be hand operated. As you see the track plan it is not complete,  the storage yards are missing but the main operating area will be as shown.

I've been using an NCE Power Cab in the past but the layout wasn't this large, the question is do I upgrade now, if so to what? Do I go the NCE route or start afresh? I've had no issues with the Power Cab in the past.

I would like the opportunity to be able 'walkaround' far more than I am able now, so a WiFi/wireless link to a smartphone for equivalent  seems sensible, but the outbuilding isn't part of the house LAN.

I doubt if I'll using more than 3 locos at anyone time, and it is unlikely I'll be going for a mass of automation,  

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Scan_20200611.png.96e788b91cfc63dbcfb8b6eba14b5b29.png12243453_138001076559687_1797472429103964755_n.jpg.a2563d2595e6384f08b7276c115c41b7.jpg

Hi there,

Thats a very impressive looking track plan. If your happy with NCE, but need more power, then you could always add the NCE Powerpro base station or booster to your system. That would give you 5 amps for your layout. This isn’t a very cheap option though, I believe the booster is about £180.

NCE have released a WiFi board just recently which allows control of your layout through your powercab with a phone or tablet.

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/nce/nce-cab-bus-wifi-interface.html

There are plenty of other systems that could be suitable. The ROCO Z21 is very popular, and certainly fulfils your desire to operate with a phone or tablet.

We use an ESU ECoS, and have done so for 10+ years. This would definitely fall into the bracket of a high end system. With the addition of a small WiFi router, plugged straight into the back, and an appropriate app, tether free control is very nice. We’ve been using this setup for many years on multiple exhibition layouts, and it’s been supremely reliable. 
The apps for the ECoS are:

TouchCab (Apple devices only. Compatible with ESU ECoS and Lenz systems)

ECoS Cab (Apple, Android and Windows. Only compatible with ECoS)

I hope this helps a little bit, and I’m sure there will be others with suggestions also.

Regards,

Simon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKeg said:

Hi there,

Thats a very impressive looking track plan. If your happy with NCE, but need more power, then you could always add the NCE Powerpro base station or booster to your system. That would give you 5 amps for your layout. This isn’t a very cheap option though, I believe the booster is about £180.

NCE have released a WiFi board just recently which allows control of your layout through your powercab with a phone or tablet.

There are plenty of other systems that could be suitable. The ROCO Z21 is very popular, and certainly fulfils your desire to operate with a phone or tablet.

We use an ESU ECoS, and have done so for 10+ years. This would definitely fall into the bracket of a high end system. With the addition of a small WiFi router, plugged straight into the back, and an appropriate app, tether free control is very nice. We’ve been using this setup for many years on multiple exhibition layouts, and it’s been supremely reliable. 
The apps for the ECoS are:

TouchCab (Apple devices only. Compatible with ESU ECoS and Lenz systems)

ECoS Cab (Apple, Android and Windows. Only compatible with ECoS)

I hope this helps a little bit, and I’m sure there will be others with suggestions also.

Regards,

Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for your input.

Over the few days I've been reading reviews and looking at YouTube on the Z21. Looks very interesting. My first instinct would be to stick with Nce so I'll read up on their Wifi interface. My first impressions are that the Z21 would be route to take.

Regards

John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheKeg said:

......NCE have released a WiFi board just recently which allows control of your layout through your powercab with a phone or tablet.

NCE haven't released this board Simon.

It's a third party product from Australian company, WiFiTrax, not from NCE.

http://www.wifitrax.com

I recently bought the WiFiTrax direct from Australia - the Digitrains price is better than I got mine for.  I use mine with a PowerPro system and the TCS UWT-100 throttle and it works very well but I could also use it with a smartphone or tablet with WiThrottle (the basic version is a free download) installed or with a computer running WiThrottle through DecoderPro.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 23:26, Ron Ron Ron said:

NCE haven't released this board Simon.

It's a third party product from Australian company, WiFiTrax, not from NCE.

http://www.wifitrax.com

fair play, I was just going off the product being listed under NCE on a retailers website. None of us are infallible. 
The main point is, such a product is available.

Edited by TheKeg
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...