Getting around ebays extortionate post

Hi I don’t know if this should be here or the eBay filed but it’s aimed at the US modeller, I’ve seen a few of the EEL river beer cars on eBay (I like these cars for the value)  but they are priced at $30ea shipping on contacting the vendor he says it’s difficult to combine as eBay sets the rules and if I pay he can refunds me the difference but he’s not sure how much this could be , so with ebays upfront customs (no objection to paying but the 20% is on the extortionate shipping too) they work out at a ridiculous £76 a wagon (and I thought the Hattons Drax were pricey).

Im going to have ago at using a handling agent (Shipto) who have given me an address in California and the shipping price to here is £10 for the pair much cheaper,,,,they then charge me $3 per box to transact then arrange shipping of my choice to me,,,,keep you informed of how this goes as long as cheaper than £154 for the 2 wagons in a winner , so far with state tax they have cost me £77,,,

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

You pay 20% VAT on imported goods and that includes the shipping - UK government rules not Ebay's. Plus if the Royal Mail are tasked with collecting the VAT, there's also an £8 fee to pay. 

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users

• RMweb Premium

I've relayed this tale before.

I purchased some CDs from a UK seller on Amazon's marketplace.

The price was similar to other sellers listed, including postage charges (all in Pounds & Pence)

I ordered from the particular seller because they had all the CDs in the set I wanted.

However the CDs were sent to me direct from the US, they attracted import duty/VAT/PO handling charge and ended up more expensive than buying them at normal price at HMV!

Buyer beware.

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Presumably there's VAT and possibly import duty to consider?

As you would on eBay there’s a intermountain tank car with $48 shipping then the pre paid vat ontop so should still work our cheaper it’s just the shipping costs for multiple purchases that’s the problem 

Get this all the time with O Scale; a 2-rail freight car might be $30 (lack of demand in the Kingdom of 3-Rail !!) But shipping to UK another $30, then 20% VAT, plus the Royal Mail's £8 charge, and you're close to £80 for the thing.

I think another issue here might be that Ebay's Global Shipping Program, which at least cuts out the Royal Mail fee, doesn't work for combined shipping of multiple purchases from the same Seller.

Watching this with interest.... :good:

1 hour ago, z4driver said:

I'd be interested in how you get on with using Shipto as there's a certain item that I've been thinking of getting which doesn't ship to the UK.

Is it "Shipto" or "Shipito", which is what Google is throwing up...?

Any seller can set up combining postage I think .I know I do .You just add to basket  and total up when you check out .He should be able to set it up .many Americans cant be bothered with foreign orders so i can be bothered with them .In fact i have mainly stopped buying American as its too expensive now when all factors are taken in to account .I also have most of what I need .i have just bought a Bachmann spare and it cost 25 USD to mail .Its goes in small envelope .Ridiculous but gets a loco going again .post is getting to be a large factor in many countrys .If gets any worse I will buy British model trains .

50 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Any seller can set up combining postage I think .I know I do .You just add to basket  and total up when you check out .He should be able to set it up .many Americans cant be bothered with foreign orders so i can be bothered with them .In fact i have mainly stopped buying American as its too expensive now when all factors are taken in to account .I also have most of what I need .i have just bought a Bachmann spare and it cost 25 USD to mail .Its goes in small envelope .Ridiculous but gets a loco going again .post is getting to be a large factor in many countrys .If gets any worse I will buy British model trains .

Very true after all it’s not a service not it’s a business, if you go on the USPS web site the U.K. is quite and expensive band yet probably one of the nearest non American Continent neighbours , but also probably one of the busiest thus lucrative so can charge more! , my laptop is down at the moment so can only access eBay on my tablet and mobile , you can’t ask for a combined invoice on this page only the desktop page anyhow we shall see how it goes and I will report back all my expenses v of bought via global shipping 

Edited by Lovemymodelling

Only marginally OT but I bought a American magazine on Ebay accepting that shipping would cost more than the magazine  The purchase price was £6.29 with £6.72 shipping with DHL, and I had no problem with that assuming the large A4 size envelope might take two weeks to transit.

The deal was done on 23rd of May and the tracking shows the pack left Connecticut same day, then via Southbury CT, Cincinnatti OH and Erlanger KY to the DHL centre in Melrose Park on 27th May.

It has been there ever since and DHL don't seem able to respond to the two emails I have sent so far just to ask when it is likely to move. I assume it is planned to travel airfreight, but am unsure whether that system is massively clogged up due to the lack of passenger flights carrying belly freight across the Atlantic, or whether DHL cargo flights are as normal, or whether DHL are carrying extra from pax flights.   

Edited by Covkid
additional info

Not sure to be honest I have my own West Yorkshire address and my parents West Wales address already on here so just added it, surely if you can do this then eBay may not object bit like having parcels posted to work, it’s useful for the cheaper items that normally command a standard price like this for example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLEY-INTERNATIONAL-TRUCK-4174-88-NIP/184143806871?hash=item2adfd38197:g:YssAAOSwrfVZQZkH

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, mikjd said:

How does this work with the 'Delivery address must be the same as Billing address' which is often a requirement?

By and large that restriction has  gone out the window over the last decade or so in my experience.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Lovemymodelling said:

Not sure to be honest I have my own West Yorkshire address and my parents West Wales address already on here so just added it, surely if you can do this then eBay may not object bit like having parcels posted to work, it’s useful for the cheaper items that normally command a standard price like this for example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLEY-INTERNATIONAL-TRUCK-4174-88-NIP/184143806871?hash=item2adfd38197:g:YssAAOSwrfVZQZkH

If that's true its great news for scammers, just use the address of an empty building and empty some poor souls Paypal balance buying random stuff to resell down the car boot sale to buy pharmaceuticals   

Sure I read somewhere only last week that the 'no VAT on goods under £15' limit is going to be removed next year.

So VAT will be charged on everything imported commercially, full stop. It may also come into force with stuff from the EU too, once we are out altogether.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Patrick SPF said:

I have just looked at the HMRC web site and the small parcel exemption is going from 31 December and the carrier is responsible for collecting / paying the VAT

That's it. I got sidetracked on there from the Self Employment pages.

It’s not the VAT I’m trying to avoid it’s getting around the fact most US eBay sellers enrolled in the global shipping program won’t combine shipping or quote high rates like this for example  £49 postage for a small HO truck that costs £23,,,,,landed that would be nearly £90, I pay all my duty when I get my parcel force love letter of a email from UPS, I admit I did take delivery last week of 2 atlas Dash 9 fully filled out customs declaration for $210 merchandise and the postie knocked the door and just handed it to me :) 

719A54C1-0094-4D29-85C8-E627C0098F42.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2020 at 12:03, F-UnitMad said:

Sure I read somewhere only last week that the 'no VAT on goods under £15' limit is going to be removed next year.

So VAT will be charged on everything imported commercially, full stop. It may also come into force with stuff from the EU too, once we are out altogether.

I put a post up about this last week but it seems to have gone missing??