Intercity western region mk2 sets

125_driver

Bit of a long shot but I'm trying to establish what would have worked the paddington to worcester services in the early 90s (I believe there were some diagrammed 47 and stock services in this period up until 1993). I know turbos, 150s and HSTs made up the majority, but I think there was at least one diagram (possibly Friday's and sundays only) that was a 47 and stock.

So would the stock have been a standard mk2 set from the pool used on general XC duties or would it have been a separate set used specifically for duties out of paddington. 

Just to clarify I am only interested in the period 1990 to 1994 as I know later GW had separate mk2 sets for the western. 

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful!

Thanks for the reply . I am quite sure and have seen evidence that there was a Friday and Sunday workings in the period 92 to 93 I think, literally one way to Worcester on a Friday evening (1902ish iirc) and on a Sunday an out and back shrub hill trip early afternoonish. 

I have seen the loco diagrams for said workings in a book and I also managed to find a couple of photos of 47s working these trains, but in both case the rolling stock was more or less invisible in the picture. .......

• RMweb Premium

Also the same vehicles found on these services could also be found on loco hauled services to south west.

But they did appear to be mixed sets of WR stock with a 50 on the front. The one I am modelling has 2C BSO 2D BFK, 2D TSOT, a few 2E TSO a couple 2F FO.

However see this site, quite a few OWWR sets on it

http://www.hondawanderer.com/Class_50.htm

A quick lookshow that the following are very common

2C BSO

2E TSO

Also obvious are 2B TSO

Whatever you do you will have fun as in one set you can have 1 2BCDEF.

Was also one mainly 2B set

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bigP said:

mk1 RMB

1646, 1659, 1698  -  all air braked in ICHV 

for the record, these are RBRs not RMBs

I do have some recollection of a Sunday afternoon up working on the Cotswold line but perhaps a bit before your timeline. Can’t remember whether the outward train was Friday or Saturday but it was an OOC NSE Mk1 set spare at the weekend.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I don't know, I was a spotter then but also spotted rolling stock, which is why I noticed that most WR aircon sets were comprised of the same lots of vehicles and could be anywhere in the region.

So a coach on a Paddington Penzance 12 coach train could be seen later on a Paddington Worcester short set.

2C BSOs also seen a lot, however to produce these sets you will have to carve up a lot of models. On one set the least work was on a 2D TSOT the most a 2D BFK or one of the 2E TSOs. Followed by the 2C BSO, I would suggest find one brand and convert everything from it, I used Airfix.

• Thanks 1

And a further observation, according to the coaches listed above I don't see any sleeper coaches. I had assumed the western region sleeper sets where allocated to old oak, does this mean they were not??? Laira or long rock maybe?????

7 hours ago, Bomag said:

OM had lost its allocation of IC day coach in 1993 to LA. Until 1988 WR sleepers were allocated to Willesden Brent (WB) and then to LA.

Interesting. Would Laira also have been responsible for any of the mk2 rakes that did the XC workings in this early 90s period also? 

Cl 47 "Royal Worcester" arrives at Shrub Hill hauling the final loco hauled Paddington Hereford service n

Right found a good photo that illustrates what I'm after specifically . It is working a padd to Hereford service in 1993. The stock is clearly MK2s. 

Looking at the list kindly provided by bigp I'm not sure OC seemed to have enough mk2s allocated at this time to build a set like this.

Would this likely be set OM290? Or any other suggestions? 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 125_driver said:

Cl 47 "Royal Worcester" arrives at Shrub Hill hauling the final loco hauled Paddington Hereford service n

Right found a good photo that illustrates what I'm after specifically . It is working a padd to Hereford service in 1993. The stock is clearly MK2s. 

Looking at the list kindly provided by bigp I'm not sure OC seemed to have enough mk2s allocated at this time to build a set like this.

Difficult to ID the stock

I think the first one is BSO second a 2E TSO then a 2D FO or FK

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 125_driver said:

Hi, that was actually a  Padd Worcester,  How do I know?, well, as well as the notation on Flickr site from the photographer stating that it was 47 821 working the last ever Padd / Worcester, I was actually on that train from Worcester to Moreton In Marsh.

To explain further, Me and my Bruv spent many happy hours chasing and Photting 47/8's on the OWWR in 91-93,  Amongst the many ICCX workings that were sent on that line on Sundays, our favourite was the Sunday Padd-Worcester, which we travelled on a few times from Moreton In Marsh to Worcester and Back, ( ISTR the Seconds were often downgraded Mk2D firsts).

Anyhow, the day that pic was taken, we knew it was the last advertised loco hauled Padd -Worcester, and, after photo'ing the usual ICCX stuff on the line, we set off to catch it  However, somehow we managed to mis-time it, and at Moreton to see the thing rolling in, with no time left for us to park the car, get tickets etc., Crestfallen wasn't in it!

We then tried to rescue things by hightailing off down the A44 to Worcester. Hence, I have a similar pic of that particular working  We did however at least get a ride on it from Worcester to Moreton, returning on a HST. It also sported a Cathedrals express headboard on it's way back to Padd.

Hope info of help

K

ps, IIRC, that working arrived at  Worcester at 5pm, then went onto the depot area to run round, and set off for Padd about 5 past 6. Also seem to remember it was marked in public Timetables as Sunday only

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, 125_driver said:

Interesting. Would Laira also have been responsible for any of the mk2 rakes that did the XC workings in this early 90s period also? 

I this period XC Mk2 aircon were allocated to Glasgow (PC), Edinburgh (EC), Longsight  (MA), Wolverhampton (OY) and Derby (DY). WR would have serviced XC sets overnight but maintenance and higher exams were done by Midland and Scottish depots - they did the bulk of MK2 aircons at the time so it made sense to concentrate the work.

• Thanks 1