Restoring frosted glazing

I am slowly disposing of a large amount of railway stock donated to our church railway exhibition to raise funds for the children’s charities we support.

One of the items bequeathed to our charity for sale is a new style Hornby HST power & dummy car sets R2703 GNER.

As with the vast majority of the rolling stock it was stored in sidings on the layout and for some reason the normally clear windscreen and side windows appear to be fogged. I don’t know if this is through exposure to daylight or some other environmental factor but as can be seen in the photos the dummy car is more affected than its partner. The side glazing in the body is perfect as is every other item of glazed stock that was on the layout.

It is possible that the owner may have glued them back in for some reason but I cannot see any obvious signs of glue around the frames.

Other than the glazing the unit is a superb model and hauls its matching rake of Lima Mk3’s with ease around my sons little loop layout when tested.

Can anyone suggest a possible remedy for this or a supplier of replacement glazing units please.

Karl

Karl

33D81E3F-983E-4069-9AB9-143A9D691215.jpeg

05E15EB5-EEF7-45D6-A8FD-C074F51EC27C.jpeg

You could try metal polish, but I haven't had any great success with this. However there is little to lose.

Possibly Peter's Spares can help with replacements (usual disclaimer).

If you do decide to try polish the easy to find alternative (in your own bathroom) is toothpaste, especially the ones that claim to be 'whitening'. But that doesn't look like fine scratches, and anyway fine scratches occur in use, not in storage, so I expect 34 is right.