Quite an important update to the thread here. 

Firstly, my ballasting at the second attempt was successful as can be seen in these photos. Grass was also laid using hanging basket liner. 

IMG_20201213_165505.jpg

IMG_20201211_145707.jpg

The domestic authorities have granted me permission for extra storage space, so I am now in a position to extend the layout by 100% ie double in size. Hopefully it would still class as a micro layout to be allowed to keep this thread open. 

The extension will complete the run round loop and station entrance, with a further kick back siding. As such the previous bridge will be remodelled and moved further from the platform. The platform will also be lengthened to accommodate a maximum length of 2x mk1s and a cl.37.

I have already made a start on this as can be seen in the following pictures. Baseboard construction was the same as before, that is 12mm ply board supported by 12mm thick batons on the corners, topped with 3mm cork sheets. 

The track has been laid and also wired - such a rapid start by my standards

IMG_20201213_165444.jpg

IMG_20201213_165457.jpg

IMG_20201212_143437.jpg

IMG_20201213_165444.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, 27016 said:

Always a good move to keep 'High Command' on side!

Indeed. I will need another similar length of track for the fiddle yard so optimistically suggested that space would be required for 3 of the plastic crates. This was deemed to be acceptable but then I went back and said that I can get it to work with two (the fiddle yard will be a simple plank so can be stored in the scenic boxes underneath the layout).

Win-Win situation all round as she now thinks I'm doing her a favour by having less boxes. 

Edited by SeanG
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

In case you aren't aware, Cromarty featured in Ian Futers' Scottish Layout Projects. Though I think he imagined it closing in the 1960s.

I did not know that, thank you. I shall have to seek out the book, do you know how different Mr Futers' plan was to mine? I imagine that his work would be infinitely better than my offering. 

This morning I have got round to painting the trackwork on thee second board. Firstly, I painted the rail sides in Humbrol 113 Rust.

IMG_20201223_111627.jpg

Whilst it looks pink initially, it dries darker and tones down when sprayed with Railmatch Sleeper Grime. 

IMG_20201223_124533.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was good to revisit and re read I can suggest looking at Pop up designs website - albeit closed to mid Jan due to a move from Moray to the south - well Edinburgh is south enough!  Great range of Lazer cut buildings just might be of use.- Even as low flats for scenic embellishment.  

Painting rails with humbrol rust just took be back nearly  50 years to a 4 foot by 1 foot N gauge terminal layout where I did just what you did and then overcoated with a tan/ mud colour as they were too red ! - ballast was sand poured on neat PVA - did not go well with the aunt I was billeted with at the time !  Locos of choice a minitrix 27, 2 blue grey coaches and a fleetline kit 122 with SD40 chassis from Lifelike- I guess it looked the part in my eye- still have the buggered ends and chassis - tarbrush painted for an 11 year old but it did for me at the start of the modelling lark.  I cannot what name I gave it but it was a Highland fantasy one having even then read HR history and devoured the  latest diesel book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Rail-Diesels-Highlands-Weekes/dp/0851532411  

Just a time machine required , but yours is as good in transporting me and I look forward to developments, thanks for the update. 

They look to have some interesting items so will definitely check them out - thanks. 

Had an operating session today, and finally got some trains operating properly in the layout. 

A class 26 arrives with a passenger and parcel train, note the crank at the window ready for the return journey

IMG_20201227_181423.jpg

IMG_20201227_181433.jpg

An 03 arrives with a trip freight from the local distillery. I'm looking for an industrial loco for this purpose (assuming running powers were granted) , if anyone has any suggestions please shout up! 

IMG_20201227_185342.jpg

Finally the 26 arrives with vans for the distillery and ready to collect the empty grain hoppers

IMG_20201227_190635.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 7

Some more progress today as I have completed the overall of the station building. 

I firstly stuck some beams which I had in the spare parts box (from a Dapol Station Canopy kit I think) which support the roof. 

IMG_20210102_134957.jpg

Once dry, I fitted 2x sheets of Wills roof tile sheet. Some signs complete the look. The roof needs to be weathered but this can wait until the glue has properly set and there is no movement. 

IMG_20210102_152512.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 12

On 27/12/2020 at 21:04, SeanG said:

They look to have some interesting items so will definitely check them out - thanks. 

Had an operating session today, and finally got some trains operating properly in the layout. 

A class 26 arrives with a passenger and parcel train, note the crank at the window ready for the return journey

IMG_20201227_181423.jpg

IMG_20201227_181433.jpg

An 03 arrives with a trip freight from the local distillery. I'm looking for an industrial loco for this purpose (assuming running powers were granted) , if anyone has any suggestions please shout up! 

IMG_20201227_185342.jpg

Finally the 26 arrives with vans for the distillery and ready to collect the empty grain hoppers

IMG_20201227_190635.jpg

Hi Sean

The little Hornby Ruston and Hornsby 48ds would be perfect for the distillery traffic. 
Best wishes

Max

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just caught up with this Sean - it looks fantastic. Funnily enough I am planning something very similar but with setrack and a freelance location, but now I wish I’d gone down the more prototypical route as you have. The ‘fiddle cassettes’ are genius and something I shall brazenly copy, cheers! 

I have received a couple of requests for a wiring diagram for the layout, so please see the below image. I hope it is fairly self explanatory. 
The blue lines represent insulated breaks, whilst the green dashed lines represent the board edges. Where the wires cross the board joins, they are joined together by chocolate blocks. I use a Gaugemaster D controller, and the diagram shows the feeds into the two outputs.

unnamed.png

As the layout is wired in this way, there is scope for two loco operation. One loco can reside in either of the sidings or on the loop, whilst the other can arrive / depart.

Edited by SeanG

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress to update you on this weekend, as I have added the remainder of the back scene and constructed the bridge which will disguise the exit to the fiddle yard. 

The back scene is simply two lengths of thin ply with wallpaper stuck on which has been painted with a matchpot left over from the bathroom. 

I will document the construction of the bridge in further detail. 

Firstly I used part of a Wills Girder Bridge kit to make the spans. 

IMG_20210123_095715.jpg

These were then weathered with rust acrylic and black acrylic, using the time honoured technique of paint on, let it dry a bit, then wipe off with a paper towel. I would like to think that it gives a good effect. 

IMG_20210123_111027.jpg

Next, I constructed the bridge support and retaining walls from Wills Course Stone sheets, which I had painted black in the same method as above. 

Only one girder was attached to the walling as the other was to be glued directly to the back scene. 

IMG_20210123_115450.jpg

Finally the bridge was glued in place and affixed to the back scene to secure it. The remainer of the roadway was constructed in card, but this will be covered by landscaping and roadway in due course

IMG_20210123_150210.jpg

Of course some testing was required once complete, and so here are a couple of shots of the stalwart Class 26 on the layout. 

IMG_20210123_144107.jpg

IMG_20210123_144742.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Following on from last week's bridge attempts I have now constructed an embankment alongside. 

The first step was to construct a skeleton out of card. This was then filled with packing paper, although newspaper would have worked just as well. With so many parcel deliveries of late, boxes are not in short supply in this household! 

IMG_20210130_160535.jpg

I then covered it in mod roc strips and am awaiting it drying over the week. Sorry no pictures of the process - it had the potential to get messy if not kept in check and I don't think that mod roc over the dining room would have gone down well! 

IMG_20210131_133522.jpg

Next step is to paint an earthy colour and then cover with scatter. 

I appreciate that there are lots of posts about how I am making the layout and fewer about the trains (although these will come in time). I would hope that these posts may help modellers old and new in detailing ways to do things. When I was new to the hobby it was great to see finished products but sometimes it left me wondering "how was that done?". Anyway, I hope that my posts, whilst no means the best modelling at all, may help people wishing to do the same or similar. 

Cheers to everyone for their kind words, "likes" and views too. It means a lot! 

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, SeanG said:

Thank you for the replies and kind words. The baseboards are each 730mm x 200mm. They each fit into one of these 22l Really Useful Boxes with sufficient gap around them inside the box to get my hand in to lift out

https://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/22litre-really-useful-storage-box-c2x12502474

Those boxes are very useful indeed. I have a part built shunting puzzle in one of those. I look forward to seeing more progress on your layout.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2021 at 11:10, SeanG said:

Following on from last week's bridge attempts I have now constructed an embankment alongside. 

The first step was to construct a skeleton out of card. This was then filled with packing paper, although newspaper would have worked just as well. With so many parcel deliveries of late, boxes are not in short supply in this household! 

IMG_20210130_160535.jpg

I then covered it in mod roc strips and am awaiting it drying over the week. Sorry no pictures of the process - it had the potential to get messy if not kept in check and I don't think that mod roc over the dining room would have gone down well! 

IMG_20210131_133522.jpg

Next step is to paint an earthy colour and then cover with scatter. 

I appreciate that there are lots of posts about how I am making the layout and fewer about the trains (although these will come in time). I would hope that these posts may help modellers old and new in detailing ways to do things. When I was new to the hobby it was great to see finished products but sometimes it left me wondering "how was that done?". Anyway, I hope that my posts, whilst no means the best modelling at all, may help people wishing to do the same or similar. 

Cheers to everyone for their kind words, "likes" and views too. It means a lot! 

Do you still have the photos to reinstate?