Apologies, progress has been slow recently. This has partially been by design - I have been trying to do more outside things recently whilst the weather has been kind in anticipation for a Winter spent indoors.

However, last weekend I did get the layout back out to do a bit of work, including ballasting and creating a raised area. I will take some photographs this weekend when hopefully I find that the ballast has dried and set - fingers crossed

• Like 2
On 10/08/2020 at 18:15, Max Legroom said:

I’ve just spotted this thread and am really impressed by your work. I recently built a similar micro based on Portmahomack so I can vouch for all the fun they can be.

Thank you for the kind words - indeed it was seeing your layouts Strachur and especially  Portmahomack on this website that gave me the inspiration!

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately upon getting the layout back out this weekend, I found that last week's ballasting went slightly awry. The glue:water ratio was clearly too much in favour of the water so the ballast did not stick. 

Not to worry though, out came the PVA and pipettes again for another round of everyone's favourite job... 

In other news I have been reworking the Highland Signal Cabin by Peco. 

It is safe to say that my first attempt was not the greatest effort. I pre painted the wooden parts and this caused them to warp as the wood sucked up the paint. Consequently fitting was not snug. Furthermore, I figured that the door was on the wrong side. 

So, out came the plasticard asbestos sheets and, using the peco model as a template, I created 4x new walls. I kept the front wall and windows intact and have incorporated them into the box. A quick rummage in the parts box produced a door, light and some fire buckets. A few more details could be added but I think that it is an OK job out of what was a bit of a mess. 

IMG_20201129_130711.jpg

I'm heading into the office for my monthly visit this week so will utilise the printer to get some signs printed out. 

Apologies for the long winded post, hopefully next time I can produce some more photos. 

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 3

Hi Sean

Like the idea, my house (well technically my garden) sits astride one of the bits of the line to Cromarty that was built in Jemimaville.  It proved to be a problem when we bought it because that portion of the land wasn't owned by the house vendor and we had to purchase it of the local laird.

There is a little booklet available locally in Cromarty on the line, I keep meaning to get it!

One observation is that the stone on the Black Isle (on which Cromarty is situated) is a characteristic pink colour.  There is no way they would have imported stone to Cromarty, so it really ought to be pink.  Google pictures of Cromarty or Fortrose or Rosemarkie and you will find the colour quick enough.

Your amazingly hopeful to think the line soldiered on to the 1980s.............but rule no 1 does apply!

Mark

Hi Mark thank you for the response. I am meaning to visit the area but for obvious reasons have not done so quite yet - hopefully this coming spring will be kind to us and I can get up there. I will look out for the booklet that you speak of. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quite an important update to the thread here. 

Firstly, my ballasting at the second attempt was successful as can be seen in these photos. Grass was also laid using hanging basket liner. 

IMG_20201213_165505.jpg

IMG_20201211_145707.jpg

The domestic authorities have granted me permission for extra storage space, so I am now in a position to extend the layout by 100% ie double in size. Hopefully it would still class as a micro layout to be allowed to keep this thread open. 

The extension will complete the run round loop and station entrance, with a further kick back siding. As such the previous bridge will be remodelled and moved further from the platform. The platform will also be lengthened to accommodate a maximum length of 2x mk1s and a cl.37.

I have already made a start on this as can be seen in the following pictures. Baseboard construction was the same as before, that is 12mm ply board supported by 12mm thick batons on the corners, topped with 3mm cork sheets. 

The track has been laid and also wired - such a rapid start by my standards

IMG_20201213_165444.jpg

IMG_20201213_165457.jpg

IMG_20201212_143437.jpg

IMG_20201213_165444.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, 27016 said:

Always a good move to keep 'High Command' on side!

Indeed. I will need another similar length of track for the fiddle yard so optimistically suggested that space would be required for 3 of the plastic crates. This was deemed to be acceptable but then I went back and said that I can get it to work with two (the fiddle yard will be a simple plank so can be stored in the scenic boxes underneath the layout).

Win-Win situation all round as she now thinks I'm doing her a favour by having less boxes. 

Edited by SeanG
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

In case you aren't aware, Cromarty featured in Ian Futers' Scottish Layout Projects. Though I think he imagined it closing in the 1960s.

I did not know that, thank you. I shall have to seek out the book, do you know how different Mr Futers' plan was to mine? I imagine that his work would be infinitely better than my offering. 

Hi,

For obvious reasons of copyright unfortunately I can't scan and post Ian Futers' track plan version for Cromarty in the public domain, however the plan can be found on pages 22 & 23 and the book details are as follows -

Title: Scottish Layout Projects

Author: Ian Futers

Publisher: Santona Publications

IBSN: 978-1-907094-19-4

Hopefully you can pick up a copy on-line.

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards

Mark 

Edited by 27016

This morning I have got round to painting the trackwork on thee second board. Firstly, I painted the rail sides in Humbrol 113 Rust.

IMG_20201223_111627.jpg

Whilst it looks pink initially, it dries darker and tones down when sprayed with Railmatch Sleeper Grime. 

IMG_20201223_124533.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 1

It was good to revisit and re read I can suggest looking at Pop up designs website - albeit closed to mid Jan due to a move from Moray to the south - well Edinburgh is south enough!  Great range of Lazer cut buildings just might be of use.- Even as low flats for scenic embellishment.  

Painting rails with humbrol rust just took be back nearly  50 years to a 4 foot by 1 foot N gauge terminal layout where I did just what you did and then overcoated with a tan/ mud colour as they were too red ! - ballast was sand poured on neat PVA - did not go well with the aunt I was billeted with at the time !  Locos of choice a minitrix 27, 2 blue grey coaches and a fleetline kit 122 with SD40 chassis from Lifelike- I guess it looked the part in my eye- still have the buggered ends and chassis - tarbrush painted for an 11 year old but it did for me at the start of the modelling lark.  I cannot what name I gave it but it was a Highland fantasy one having even then read HR history and devoured the  latest diesel book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Rail-Diesels-Highlands-Weekes/dp/0851532411  

Just a time machine required , but yours is as good in transporting me and I look forward to developments, thanks for the update. 

On 23/12/2020 at 18:16, Robert Shrives said:

It was good to revisit and re read I can suggest looking at Pop up designs website - albeit closed to mid Jan due to a move from Moray to the south - well Edinburgh is south enough!  Great range of Lazer cut buildings just might be of use.- Even as low flats for scenic embellishment. 

Can you please post a link to the relevant website page?

Many thanks

Mark 

3 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

https://www.popupdesigns.co.uk,   7 seconds on google gives this 

The crew are moving in New year so I expect window for orders is very small. but you will not be disapointed - check out threads on here. 

robert 

Thanks for posting the link.

I did check Google before posting, but no such result - hence the question!

They look to have some interesting items so will definitely check them out - thanks. 

Had an operating session today, and finally got some trains operating properly in the layout. 

A class 26 arrives with a passenger and parcel train, note the crank at the window ready for the return journey

IMG_20201227_181423.jpg

IMG_20201227_181433.jpg

An 03 arrives with a trip freight from the local distillery. I'm looking for an industrial loco for this purpose (assuming running powers were granted) , if anyone has any suggestions please shout up! 

IMG_20201227_185342.jpg

Finally the 26 arrives with vans for the distillery and ready to collect the empty grain hoppers

IMG_20201227_190635.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 7
Posted (edited)

Some more progress today as I have completed the overall of the station building. 

I firstly stuck some beams which I had in the spare parts box (from a Dapol Station Canopy kit I think) which support the roof. 

IMG_20210102_134957.jpg

Once dry, I fitted 2x sheets of Wills roof tile sheet. Some signs complete the look. The roof needs to be weathered but this can wait until the glue has properly set and there is no movement. 

IMG_20210102_152512.jpg

Edited by SeanG
  • Like 12
On 27/12/2020 at 21:04, SeanG said:

They look to have some interesting items so will definitely check them out - thanks. 

Had an operating session today, and finally got some trains operating properly in the layout. 

A class 26 arrives with a passenger and parcel train, note the crank at the window ready for the return journey

IMG_20201227_181423.jpg

IMG_20201227_181433.jpg

An 03 arrives with a trip freight from the local distillery. I'm looking for an industrial loco for this purpose (assuming running powers were granted) , if anyone has any suggestions please shout up! 

IMG_20201227_185342.jpg

Finally the 26 arrives with vans for the distillery and ready to collect the empty grain hoppers

IMG_20201227_190635.jpg

Hi Sean

The little Hornby Ruston and Hornsby 48ds would be perfect for the distillery traffic. 
Best wishes

Max

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just caught up with this Sean - it looks fantastic. Funnily enough I am planning something very similar but with setrack and a freelance location, but now I wish I’d gone down the more prototypical route as you have. The ‘fiddle cassettes’ are genius and something I shall brazenly copy, cheers!